Sawaki Kodo powerful words

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Taigu
    Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
    • Aug 2008
    • 2710

    Sawaki Kodo powerful words

    These words come from To You, a collection of thoughts from Sawaki Kodo you may find on line on Antaiji's website:

    As a human being, whatever you do, you should do it in a way that can’t be repeated a second time. What can be repeated is best left to the robots.
    Life doesn’t run on tracks.
    Birds don’t sing in major or minor. Bodhidharma’s teaching doesn’t fit on lined paper.*
    The buddha-dharma is wide and unlimited. When you try to hold it still, you’ve missed it. It isn’t dried cod, but a live fish. Living fish have no fixed form.
    In the soldier’s handbook it says that in war you must be prepared for a thousand different possibilities. That doesn’t just go for war – there’s no rule book for life either. When you try to live your life according to a manual, you’re sure to fail.*
    For a court case as well, it goes without saying that you have to be on your guard when everything runs according to the book.
    The wild geese leave no traces,*
    yet no matter where they fly, they never lose their way.*
    There are no footprints on the way of the bird. It’s not the same as a steam engine that runs on tracks or an ox’s well-worn path.
    Don’t we live life from moment to moment? How could we possibly take life, analyze it, systematize it and file it away?
    However much you accomplish in this life, you can’t present any of it at the last judgement. You will die naked.
    In the end, there will be nothing left for you to do besides let go.
    Isn’t it evident that the greatest happiness consists in doing what you have to do?
    You can’t depend on anything. The value of things changes. This insight is what motivated Shakyamuni to renounce his King’s title, to leave his wife and son and become a monk.

    These words are inspired by one of the most neglected yet the most important chapter of Shobogenzo called Yui Butsu Yo Butsu , Buddhas alone, together with Buddha , which I will soon start to comment on. The ungraspable is the very essence and secret of our path, coming from nothing and going to nothing, we are a pure expression of freedom or this is not that depressing after all, nobodycan actually describe who we are, pin down what we are made of. The freedom of being nobody and going nowhere cannot be matched.


    Gassho


    Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 10-12-2012, 04:23 AM.
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006
    • 39474

    #2
    Thank you for this reminder, T.

    Yet, we do not run just anywhere we might wish in this Practice ... not into chaos or fruitless Paths or "do whatever you please"-ism.

    As Dogen and Kodo knew, there is clarity and lack of clarity, Teachings to embody even as we do not leave them as formulae on a page.

    Funny, this way of Practice-Enlightenment.

    Even the geese who leave no traces know which way to point their beaks!

    Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-12-2012, 04:31 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

    Comment

    • Mp

      #3
      Originally posted by Taigu
      These words come from To You, a collection of thoughts from Sawaki Kodo you may find on line on Antaiji's website:




      These words are inspired by one of the most neglected yet the most important chapter of Shobogenzo called Yui Butsu Yo Butsu , Buddhas alone, together with Buddha , which I will soon start to comment on. The ungraspable is the very essence and secret of our path, coming from nothing and going to nothing, we are a pure expression of freedom or this is not that depressing after all, nobodycan actually describe who we are, pin down what we are made of. The freedom of being nobody and going nowhere cannot be matched.


      Gassho


      Taigu
      Thank you Taigu, this is wonderful ... I have not read anything from Sawaki Kobo, but looking forward to reading and hearing more commentary.

      Gassho
      Michael

      Comment

      • Omoi Otoshi
        Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 801

        #4
        Thank you Taigu,
        True, powerful words indeed.



        /Pontus
        In a spring outside time, flowers bloom on a withered tree;
        you ride a jade elephant backwards, chasing the winged dragon-deer;
        now as you hide far beyond innumerable peaks--
        the white moon, a cool breeze, the dawn of a fortunate day

        Comment

        • Myozan Kodo
          Friend of Treeleaf
          • May 2010
          • 1901

          #5
          Thank you Taigu,
          I love the flowing out of Kodo's expression, how it spills from his living mouth and into my warm ear.
          Gassho,
          Myozan

          Comment

          • Kaishin
            Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 2322

            #6
            Thank you, Taigu and Jundo (and Pontus for the link).
            Thanks,
            Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
            Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

            Comment

            • Hans
              Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 1853

              #7
              Hello,

              wonderful to hear such a powerful and unique voice.

              His sentences are strong and tasty like double espresso shots

              Gassho,

              Hans Chudo Mongen

              Comment

              • Seizan
                Member
                • Sep 2012
                • 213

                #8
                Double espresso shots, indeed! Thank you for your commentary Taigu, and I look forward to more.

                "Isn’t it evident that the greatest happiness consists in doing what you have to do?
                The freedom of being nobody and going nowhere cannot be matched."

                I've been really thinking about this lately, and the thought that "today is my favorite day." It could be considered revolutionary in the Western world.

                Gassho,
                Dani

                Comment

                • Nindo

                  #9
                  Thank you Taigu.

                  Comment

                  • Heisoku
                    Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 1338

                    #10
                    Thank you Taigu for sharing your explorations and insights.
                    Heisoku 平 息
                    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

                    Comment

                    • Seimyo
                      Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 861

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Hans
                      His sentences are strong and tasty like double espresso shots

                      Gassho,

                      Hans Chudo Mongen
                      Over the years I've become quite a fan-boy of Sawaki Kodo. I liken his quotes to blasts from a cannon. While not always elegant, they speak directly to me in a way that I understand clearly.

                      For those wanting more check out Antaiji's website: http://antaiji.dogen-zen.de/eng/hk0.shtml

                      Thanks Taigu for sharing this.

                      Gassho.
                      Chris

                      明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

                      Comment

                      • Onken
                        Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 104

                        #12
                        Excellent!
                        Gassho,
                        Onken

                        Comment

                        • Seizan
                          Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 213

                          #13
                          Chris,

                          Thank you for the link!

                          Gassho,
                          Dani

                          Comment

                          • Jinyo
                            Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • 1957

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Jundo
                            Thank you for this reminder, T.

                            Yet, we do not run just anywhere we might wish in this Practice ... not into chaos or fruitless Paths or "do whatever you please"-ism.

                            As Dogen and Kodo knew, there is clarity and lack of clarity, Teachings to embody even as we do not leave them as formulae on a page.

                            Funny, this way of Practice-Enlightenment.

                            Even the geese who leave no traces know which way to point their beaks!

                            Gassho, Jundo

                            I am not familiar with Kodo's writings - but glancing at the web site he presents as quite a fiery, strong character.

                            What I find sad - and a little frustrating - is that these powerful words - stripped of their context - often appear as positive 'thoughts for the day' - alongside photos of puppies, kittens and bunnies, sunsets, oceans - etc. In a way - a kind of formulae - without much thought.

                            'Every day is a good day' - is not something I can take deep down to the marrow without wrestling with the words. My mind fills with massive contadictions - especially when I think of others in difficult circumstances.

                            The practice here - the teaching here - helps me to work through the contradictions - but it isn't easy.

                            (PS, nothing against puppies, kittens and bunnies,etc )

                            Thank you for this introduction Taigu - and will keep reading.

                            Gassho

                            Willow

                            Comment

                            • Rich
                              Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 2603

                              #15
                              Originally posted by willow
                              I am not familiar with Kodo's writings - but glancing at the web site he presents as quite a fiery, strong character.

                              What I find sad - and a little frustrating - is that these powerful words - stripped of their context - often appear as positive 'thoughts for the day' - alongside photos of puppies, kittens and bunnies, sunsets, oceans - etc. In a way - a kind of formulae - without much thought.

                              'Every day is a good day' - is not something I can take deep down to the marrow without wrestling with the words. My mind fills with massive contadictions - especially when I think of others in difficult circumstances.

                              The practice here - the teaching here - helps me to work through the contradictions - but it isn't easy.

                              (PS, nothing against puppies, kittens and bunnies,etc )

                              Thank you for this introduction Taigu - and will keep reading.

                              Gassho

                              Willow
                              Hey Willow, hope things are getting better. My take is that life is a gift even with the pain and suffering and everything else. And you know what, we create most of the contradictions and difficult circumstances which leads to more pain and suffering. And understanding, fuhgetaboutit. From this perspective every day is a good day especially if you are breathing. And furthurmore Budhists do not have a monopoly on wisdom. Dogs and cats are pretty smart. Sorry if I got a little carried away.
                              _/_
                              Rich
                              MUHYO
                              無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

                              https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

                              Comment

                              Working...