X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taigu
    Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
    • Aug 2008

Useless blablabla
    Last edited by Taigu; 10-03-2012, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Omoi Otoshi
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by galen
      You make good points, Pontus, but I will take a shot at it...

Are they not, of the small mind, a human construct? It seems we all have ideas about this and that, which is fine, but can they be of the Boundless Expanse of the Big Mind? Do we need some idea for having an idea of a larger more real place of boundlessness? Do we need ideas to `sit, to sit on, or contrive and think about ideals, during these moments of total presence, when that moment of total amercement arrives? It seems not..... but who in the hell am I to say, this Is my idea while sitting with my small mindedness.

It just seems an idea about anything keeps it unreal, an illusion. We have some idea or ideal of objects and forms, but it seems this is a projected picture, so does it miss the mark of emptiness, which is the other side side of the side-less coin, the whole?
      I have this idea that not all that is of human construct is small minded. What mind constructs our ideas? The small mind out of greed, aversion and delusion? Or the big mind, out of wisdom, clarity, compassion? The big mind (Buddha mind, empty mind, beginner's mind), can also arise while fully interacting with the world, in the midst of thoughts, ideas, emotions, not only in some special state of profound samadhi, outside of time and space. The middle way is integrating both halves of the truth, the absolute and the relative, into one truth, one reality, one beautiful way of living. Everything said about this this truth is not true, misses the mark. That's why all words are only pointing to the moon. The middle way has to be realized directly, which is the aimless aim of Zen buddhist practice. So should we all just sit down and shut up? Sometimes yes, but not always. I think the exchange of ideas is vitally important. When we get stuck, unconsciously clinging to an idea, another idea, another point of view, may be what is needed, the correct medicine, what sets us free. Right then, for that person, in that moment, that is Right View. I'm not sure you can say that the idea of emptiness is generally less delusional than the idea of an eternal true self, or even god. Buddhists say it a lot. Out of wisdom or ignorance? What is pointed at is beyond description. Buddhism is also just an idea. Relinquishing all views, Buddha dies, Atman dies, God dies. And everything comes alive.

Gassho,
      Pontus
      In a spring outside time, flowers bloom on a withered tree;
      you ride a jade elephant backwards, chasing the winged dragon-deer;
      now as you hide far beyond innumerable peaks--
      the white moon, a cool breeze, the dawn of a fortunate day

Comment

• disastermouse

Originally posted by Hans
        Hello,

just a bit food for contemplative thought.

How could one ever hope to drop off ALL, meaning body of mind, whilst still pursuing one's own limited ideas?

How could one dare to approach the Mysterium Tremendum without being willing to drop one's cultural shackles, be they Christian or Buddhist?

Does one strive to realise Christ, or Christianity? Does one strive realise awakening, or Buddhism.

The Isms of this world will always find ways to disagree. The source whence the waters of life originate, now that is a different story. Most drunkards seem the same, no matter how they found their way into the tavern. Christians, Buddhists, sons of widows....once they describe the taste of the wine on their lips, they seem to have become brothers and sisters.

Now some would disagree. Do not worry about "some", worry about your striving.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
        If your 'ism' causes you to drop your sword instead of picking it up and charging into the everpresent 'other', your 'ism' has validity in my opinion. No war for me anymore (I hope), not even war with war or warriors.

Chet

Comment

• galen
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Jundo
          All our Practice around here is about our "ideas". We need 'em to live, we need to get past and thoroughly free of them (including all idea of our "us"), we need to then again live in a world of ideas without being their prisoner and knowing Buddha in each one.

Simple as pie.

That's my eloquent bla bla bla for today.

That was good, and probably more to the point that Pontus made/took. It seems we have to use them to get beyond them, as the same has been said of concepts, there is a need to study and learn from them, to get beyond them to better know our true nature. The same with teachers, thoroughly through and through.
          Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Taigu
            He who in order to relinquish all views
            Taught the true Dharma
            By compassionate means -
            To him, to Gautama, I pay homage..

Last words of Nagarjuna in his famous work...

That gives you an idea, galen.

That is also my favorite blablabla as true words come and lead to this.
            Wordly words are made of opinions and are nothing but noise.

Thank you for that, Taigu.
            Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Omoi Otoshi
              I have this idea that not all that is of human construct is small minded. What mind constructs our ideas? The small mind out of greed, aversion and delusion? Or the big mind, out of wisdom, clarity, compassion? The big mind (Buddha mind, empty mind, beginner's mind), can also arise while fully interacting with the world, in the midst of thoughts, ideas, emotions, not only in some special state of profound samadhi, outside of time and space. The middle way is integrating both halves of the truth, the absolute and the relative, into one truth, one reality, one beautiful way of living. Everything said about this this truth is not true, misses the mark. That's why all words are only pointing to the moon. The middle way has to be realized directly, which is the aimless aim of Zen buddhist practice. So should we all just sit down and shut up? Sometimes yes, but not always. I think the exchange of ideas is vitally important. When we get stuck, unconsciously clinging to an idea, another idea, another point of view, may be what is needed, the correct medicine, what sets us free. Right then, for that person, in that moment, that is Right View. I'm not sure you can say that the idea of emptiness is generally less delusional than the idea of an eternal true self, or even god. Buddhists say it a lot. Out of wisdom or ignorance? What is pointed at is beyond description. Buddhism is also just an idea. Relinquishing all views, Buddha dies, Atman dies, God dies. And everything comes alive.

Gassho,
              Pontus

Now that was some great eloquent bla bla bla, and how ideas arise and resolve. From my limited perspective, you said it well, Pontus.
              Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
                • Feb 2012

When I attempted to take on ideas here, it was something that jumped out, good or bad, wrongly or rightly. So last night I was 'monkey minding' about our idea discussion and something was telling me that I had gotten some of my take from ZMBM. So I grabbed the book and went through some of the earlier chapters, which I had read about 2 months back and came to the chapter on No Dualism, page 33. I was surprised that I had come as close as I did, even with some twisting and confusion, I was all around it. Suzuki starts out right away by saying... 'our practice should be without gaining ideas', and then he takes a more depth look, at and through, 'form is emptiness and emptiness is form' and clarifies the non duality of this with 'form is form and emptiness is emptiness'. Most of which has been touched on in this discussion right here. So Pontus, you need to dust this book off again, and take another gander at ZMBM.
                Nothing Special

Comment

• Omoi Otoshi
                  • Dec 2010

I really do need to dust off that book!

The point about not having gaining ideas is very, very important. At least it has been in my practice.

Gassho,
                  Pontus
                  In a spring outside time, flowers bloom on a withered tree;
                  you ride a jade elephant backwards, chasing the winged dragon-deer;
                  now as you hide far beyond innumerable peaks--
                  the white moon, a cool breeze, the dawn of a fortunate day

Comment

• galen
                    • Feb 2012

The point about not having gaining ideas is very, very important. At least it has been in my practice.

Gassho,
                    Pontus

It seems many people who have been doing the Zen thing for some time, probably have moved on from this book thinking they have out-grown it or have fallen for more romantic/charismatic writers and teachings. And right there misses the point of remembering in Zen we are all beginners, as some have gotten a little filled up with themselves on intellectualism and concepts, and that is the point Suzuki points to. Its the basics, and just like in sports, once you feel/think the need is no longer there, that is when you need it/them the most. Take care, and thanks for the discussion.
                    Last edited by galen; 10-03-2012, 09:32 PM.
                    Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
                      • Feb 2012

Gassho,
                      Pontus

Pontus.......... if or when you do decide to re-read ZMBM, let me know your take on page 7 on Posture, whether there is some disagreement with Jundos take on not-2. Suzuki seems to see it from a different perspective. Jundo, don't way-in till Pontus posts his own take.
                      Nothing Special

Comment

• Saijun
                        • Jul 2010

Pontus.......... if or when you do decide to re-read ZMBM, let me know your take on page 7 on Posture, whether there is some disagreement with Jundos take on not-2. Suzuki seems to see it from a different perspective. Jundo, don't way-in till Pontus posts his own take.
                        Hello Galen,

Respectfully, this reads like you've come into a practice place and assumed the role of teacher.

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun
                        To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Comment

• galen
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Saijun
                          Hello Galen,

Respectfully, this reads like you've come into a practice place and assumed the role of teacher.

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun

And with your statement, what about you !? But nice projection, I do say. Each to his own, teacher. But in all due respect, thanks for the lecture.
                          Nothing Special

Comment

• Dosho
                            • Jun 2008

Galen,

I agree with Saijun. Don't tell sangha members, especially teachers, what to do. Ask nicely, please.

Gassho,
                            Dosho
                            Last edited by Dosho; 10-03-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• galen
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Dosho
                              Galen,

I agree with Saijun. Don't tell sangha members, especially teachers, what to do. Ask nicely, please.

Gassho,
                              Dosho

And that is fine. I meant no harm to Jundo and do not think he would take it that way. I was just wanted an unadulterated view from Pontus. Jundo can very well take care of himself, and knows respect runs both ways. And don't tell me what to do, in your own projection.
                              Nothing Special

Comment

• disastermouse

And that is fine. I meant no harm to Jundo and do not think he would take it that way. I was just wanted an unadulterated view from Pontus. Jundo can very well take care of himself, and knows respect runs both ways. And don't tell me what to do, in your own projection.
                                I challenge you to reply to criticism without using the word or concept of projection. Not all criticism can be so deflected. You sound like a Psych 101 student who's found a term to misuse in defense of his need to always be right. Not all criticism is projection just as not all defenses are denial. I wanted to come at you harder after your condescending response to my earlier post, but I figured I'd wait to see whether my instincts were correct.

No one wants to argue, we simply ask that you proceed with some respect towards the people with whom you share this space.

You remind me of someone for whom I have a soft spot....I can't...*ahem*...quite put my finger on who it is though....

Chet

Comment

Working...