X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galen
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Omoi Otoshi
    Thanks Galen,
    I had to take that wonderful book down from the book shelf and just reread that chapter! That's a very interesting way of looking at Zazen, God and emptiness.

/Pontus

Hi Pontus... while I am relatively new to this `Leaf, and more of a straight line to and hopefully through Zen, Suzuki has an incredible way of presenting Zen for laymen, for the more modern Westerners (my perspective of course). Probably many who have been more in this straight line feel they are above this small, short chapter-ed book. This is my second time through, and of course the lights are blinking much louder. In his own way, he is very profound and he found so much delight in the American mind. You put me up to some of those thoughts from your post. Realizing my post was my take on his, does not necessarily make it so for others... and thank you.
    Nothing Special

Comment

• Run_CMD
      • Mar 2012

This might be off topic and may sound completely crazy, but but just for fun:
      While the buddha was a historical figure that really existed,

Jesus was a mushroom

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

zq4f777ecc.jpg

Some suggest that jesus was not a historical person but a metaphor for an experience, based on a very ancient mushroom cult.

The holy grail

When the hallucogenic fly agaric reaches its final stage it forms a cup where rain water is collected. The rain water then contains hallucogenic compounds from the red pigment of the mushroom. Taking a drink from the holy grail would then bring one in a 'jesus' like or 'non-self' state. You'd be drinking the blood of Jesus.

Amanita_muscaria_Pa112042.jpg

The golden chalice

l.jpg

Mushroom-Cult-1[1].jpg

The pope dresses like a magic mushroom

:-)
      Last edited by Run_CMD; 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Hans
        • Mar 2007

Hello,

just a bit food for contemplative thought.

How could one ever hope to drop off ALL, meaning body of mind, whilst still pursuing one's own limited ideas?

How could one dare to approach the Mysterium Tremendum without being willing to drop one's cultural shackles, be they Christian or Buddhist?

Does one strive to realise Christ, or Christianity? Does one strive realise awakening, or Buddhism.

The Isms of this world will always find ways to disagree. The source whence the waters of life originate, now that is a different story. Most drunkards seem the same, no matter how they found their way into the tavern. Christians, Buddhists, sons of widows....once they describe the taste of the wine on their lips, they seem to have become brothers and sisters.

Now some would disagree. Do not worry about "some", worry about your striving.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Comment

• Omoi Otoshi
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Hans
          How could one ever hope to drop off ALL, meaning body of mind, whilst still pursuing one's own limited ideas?
          Good questions Hans!

/Pontus
          In a spring outside time, flowers bloom on a withered tree;
          you ride a jade elephant backwards, chasing the winged dragon-deer;
          now as you hide far beyond innumerable peaks--
          the white moon, a cool breeze, the dawn of a fortunate day

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Run_CMD
            This might be off topic and may sound completely crazy, but but just for fun:
            While the buddha was a historical figure that really existed,

Jesus was a mushroom
            Sounds like someone has eaten too many magic mushrooms.

Gassho, J
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• galen
              • Feb 2012

Good questions Hans!

/Pontus

Seemingly, give up the ideas.
              Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Jundo
                Sounds like someone has eaten too many magic mushrooms.

Gassho, J

Or not enough!
                Nothing Special

Comment

• Omoi Otoshi
                  • Dec 2010

I ate a small piece of a poisonous mushroom when I was a kid, just because I had heard vikings used them to go berserk. I puked for hours and had a headache for two days. I gained much insight from that experience.

Gassho,
                  Pontus

Comment

• Kaishin
                    • Dec 2010

I ate a small piece of a poisonous mushroom when I was a kid, just because I had heard vikings used them to go berserk. I puked for hours and had a headache for two days. I gained much insight from that experience.

Gassho,
                    Pontus
                    I am glad you decided not to eat a BIG piece!!!!
                    Thanks,
                    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• galen
                      • Feb 2012

Gassho,
                      Pontus

I ate many magic ones by choice in my past. One of the cleanest chemically-natural `highs there is. Many years of smoking the erb also, just the thought of it makes me want a puff , but haven't for quite awhile, but probably will again.
                      Nothing Special

Comment

• Omoi Otoshi
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by galen
                        Seemingly, give up the ideas.
                        Ideas can be very useful. Nothing wrong with ideas in my opinion! But sometimes we cling to them, identify too strongly with them. Let them throw us around in life, instead of dancing freely with them. Take ourselves, our ideas, too seriously. If our ideas are not who we are, who are we?

Gassho,
                        Pontus

Comment

• galen
                          • Feb 2012

Ideas can be very useful. Nothing wrong with ideas in my opinion! But sometimes we cling to them, identify too strongly with them. Let them throw us around in life, instead of dancing freely with them. Take ourselves, our ideas, too seriously. If our ideas are not who we are, who are we?

Gassho,
                          Pontus

You make good points, Pontus, but I will take a shot at it...

Are they not, of the small mind, a human construct? It seems we all have ideas about this and that, which is fine, but can they be of the Boundless Expanse of the Big Mind? Do we need some idea for having an idea of a larger more real place of boundlessness? Do we need ideas to `sit, to sit on, or contrive and think about ideals, during these moments of total presence, when that moment of total amercement arrives? It seems not..... but who in the hell am I to say, this Is my idea while sitting with my small mindedness.

It just seems an idea about anything keeps it unreal, an illusion. We have some idea or ideal of objects and forms, but it seems this is a projected picture, so does it miss the mark of emptiness, which is the other side side of the side-less coin, the whole?
                          Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
                            • Feb 2012

Our discussion here, speaking of my posts mainly, could fall under the category of what Taigu has yelled out to a thread, of the eloquent bla bla blas. But the same could be said for some of Taigu and Jundos posts, in their humanness. I would like both or either to enter here and give their view of 'ideas' as such, that would be appreciated.
                            Nothing Special

Comment

• Jundo
                              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by galen
                              I would like both or either to enter here and give their view of 'ideas' as such, that would be appreciated.
                              All our Practice around here is about our "ideas". We need 'em to live, we need to get past and thoroughly free of them (including all idea of our "us"), we need to then again live in a world of ideas without being their prisoner and knowing Buddha in each one.

Simple as pie.

That's my eloquent bla bla bla for today.
                              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Taigu
                                Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
                                • Aug 2008

He who in order to relinquish all views
                                Taught the true Dharma
                                By compassionate means -
                                To him, to Gautama, I pay homage..

Last words of Nagarjuna in his famous work...

That gives you an idea, galen.

That is also my favorite blablabla as true words come and lead to this.
                                Wordly words are made of opinions and are nothing but noise.

Comment

Working...