Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryumon
    • Apr 2007

Meditation and music

Every now and then, I come across an album which has "music for Zen meditation." Is there any tradition of meditating while listening to music? Actually, I find that close, absorbed music listening is a form of meditation, but I never do it on the cushion.
    Last edited by Ryumon; 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM.
    ---
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    流文

SAT/LAH

I know nothing.
  • Taigu
    Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
    • Aug 2008

Well, music is music. And I love music. Shikantaza is shikantaza. Not mixing is best.
    Mantra recitation is a form of musical meditation, many indian ragas are inspired by devotion, performing- listening are also Hindu practices, shakuachi playing was a form of meditation by these monks with heads covered by bamboo baskets and playing away very sad- spooky tunes...

In our tradition, we sit. And from there, many things may arise:brush work, body work, sounds, music, words, life itself.

Zazen listening to music is not zazen anymore. You give it a taste. In the real zazen Coltrane, Bach and Hendrix are friends. Play one of them and this is broken.

Gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 08-20-2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• andyZ
      • Aug 2011

I think listening to some special music is good for meditation but not zazen. I read a quote by a zen master that "zazen is not meditation - it's alive"
      Gassho,
      Andy

Comment

• Dokan
        Friend of Treeleaf
        • Dec 2010

Interesting discussion. One of my shakuhachi teachers has an album called Shakuhachi Meditation Music. He is a Zen practitioner and I don't believe he listens to music while sitting, but I think many things can be labelled "mediation practice". However, I think it's in the semantics of what we practice in Soto-shu vs the generality of meditation. Shikantaza is shikantaza, meditation is meditation.

Also, in the case of shakuhachi, the instrument has a long history of being used for meditation practice, called suizen. Mendicant monks would beg for alms as they played on the flute. Somewhat like takuhatsu.

For me, shikantaza is my Zen practice. Other forms of meditation such as shakuhachi, sewing, playing with my kids, gardening, and such are meditative but not my Zen practice.

Just my random thoughts.

Good topic though!

Gassho,

Dokan
        We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
        ~Anaïs Nin

Comment

• RichardH
          • Nov 2011

Music connects directly with movement/emotion for me, and it colors the world. Not sentimentality and personal memory (unless maybe it is nostalgic music) but a kind of deep feeling movement with the music. I actually don't listen to music as much as I used to because of that. I love it.. and deeply respect musical talent .. but need to be sparing. Zazen and music only go together if there happens to be music playing during Zazen, but it is not transportive if heard during Zazen.

Gassho, kojip

Comment

• Mp

Like Dokan said, shikantaza is my zen practice ... but I also find rocking climbing, sewing, playing with my dog, kayaking, and biking to be meditative. Music for sure ... when I am picking away on the old guitar I can have some amazing "In the moment" experiences.

Gassho
            Michael

Comment

• Kyonin
              Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
              • Oct 2010

My dad is a musician and I grew up listening to all kinds of music from around the world.

I remember those lonesome teenage nights that I used to loose myself, with closed eyes, to a nice Kitaro or Vangelis album. Like it was said before, music is good for meditation.

I find music as distracting as listening to the TV or a conversation.

So I like my zazen raw, with no music. Just me, my improvised zafu and the wall.

Gassho,

Kyonin
              Hondō Kyōnin
              奔道 協忍

Comment

• Risho
                • May 2010

I have enough music in my mind going on in Shikantaza. hahahha
                Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Risho
                  So true ...

Gassho
                  Michael

Comment

• disastermouse

Originally posted by Risho
                    Wait, you got music? All I get is a clusterfuck of neurotic thoughts and static.

Must be my karma, I guess.

Chet

Comment

• Hans
                      • Mar 2007

Hello,

although I also am of the persuasion that it's best (at least for me) to take my Shikantaza straight, no ice please and no music....music has a great power to touch us humans irrespective of sectarian differences. If something lifts you up, it lifts you up, if a tune allows you to transcend and embrace ecstasy...than it just does that. No questions about religious/sectarian compatibility there Unless one thinks that all Rock'n'Roll is Satan's work...bring on some Bon Scott AC/DC!!!!

Gassho and thanks for bringing up this topic,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Comment

• Jinyo
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by disastermouse
                        Wait, you got music? All I get is a clusterfuck of neurotic thoughts and static.

Must be my karma, I guess.

Chet

Willow

Comment

• Seimyo
                          • Jan 2012

Normally I'd say most things are better with a soundtrack, but I'm afraid I'm another who just prefers the sound of the room, whatever that is (when I sit). Voices and melodies are certain distractions for me.

Gassho,
                          Chris

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Comment

• Kyonin
                            Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                            • Oct 2010

Well now that you mention it... Sometimes I sit with a song playing endlessly in my mind. Not AC/DC, but something along the lines. More like Blind Guardian.

The thing is, when that happens, I get all distracted and it's hard to let go of the song.

That's why I avoid listening to the same song many times.

Gassho,

Kyonin

Originally posted by Hans
                            Hello,

although I also am of the persuasion that it's best (at least for me) to take my Shikantaza straight, no ice please and no music....music has a great power to touch us humans irrespective of sectarian differences. If something lifts you up, it lifts you up, if a tune allows you to transcend and embrace ecstasy...than it just does that. No questions about religious/sectarian compatibility there Unless one thinks that all Rock'n'Roll is Satan's work...bring on some Bon Scott AC/DC!!!!

Gassho and thanks for bringing up this topic,

Hans Chudo Mongen
                            Hondō Kyōnin
                            奔道 協忍

Comment

• Hans
                              • Mar 2007

Hello Kyonin,

obviously Blind Guardian is an exception to the rule since their marvelous German speed metal songs and ballads come straight from the Buddha fields of Maitreya (kind of).

Guardian, Guardian, Guardian of the blind.....

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Comment

Working...