X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Khalil Bodhi
    • Apr 2012

Becoming a student...

Hello all,

I must admit that I have become quite taken with the practice of shikantaza. Each day after my 15 minute sit I feel more strongly that this style of practice is extremely worthwhile and helps me to see things in way and with a clarity that I haven't before. Forgive me for my ignorance but how does one more seriously commit to this practice here? Is there a process to become a formal student? Any direction would be appreciated.

As an aside, many Theravada Buddhists are celebrating the Buddha's birthday today so Happy Vesak! Metta!

Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog
  • Shokai
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Mar 2009

Re: Becoming a student...

Mike;

I am sure Jundo and Taigu will advise you. Meanwhile, consider taking Jukai (the opportunity comes at the end of summer. We study the Bodisattva Precepts September thru December, sew a Rakusu during the same period and hold intense practice period known as Ango. You can look through the associated forums for more detailed explanations http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 gassho
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Koshin
      • Feb 2012

I am a newbie on Zen (just a few months sitting and reading about it), my practice is to sit half an hour in the morning and usually half an hour in the afternoon, regularly monitor the forums and especially the excellent videos in the Talks and Teachings subforum, even I have organized my notes in OneNote and I check them often. I have read a couple books recommended here... I even don´t think I managed to get a decent posture in sitting ops: But somehow, the things I see and read here makes so much sense to me...I´m loving it

I tend to be a very systematic and analytical guy, but gradually I realized I should leave a little to one side the analytical mind and try a little more the intuitive, non-verbal. So I do not think one can speak of a formal process to study, something like the degrees in school, but being the newbie I am, surely I'm wrong. It frustrates me a little, I'm very used to the "formal system" study, .... but I suspect that in Zen it will not work properly, it may be more like a mixture between self-taught and guided lessons. I want to participate in the Jukai to strengthen my practice, I hope to see you there.

Gassho
      Thank you for your practice

Comment

• Khalil Bodhi
        • Apr 2012

Shokai and lipor thank you both for your replies.

Gassho,

Mike
        To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
        -Dhp. 183
        My Practice Blog

Comment

• Jinyo
          • Jan 2012

Leo wrote

I'm very used to the "formal system" study, .... but I suspect that in Zen it will not work properly, it may be more like a mixture between self-taught and guided lessons. I want to participate in the Jukai to strengthen my practice, I hope to see you there.

Hi Leo - I'm fairly new here as well. I agree with the above (though I gave up formal study a long way back and much prefer to meander my own path). Hope to
          participate in Jukai too.

Gassho

Willow

Comment

• disastermouse

Formal study without zazen is like eating a book - generally dissatisfying but you may come away with the mistaken perception that you actually know something.

Zazen with no formal study is like building a house with only a screwdriver - there are tools available that you're not using.

IMHO.

Comment

• Dokan
              Friend of Treeleaf
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by disastermouse
              Formal study without zazen is like eating a book
              Gassho Chet.

Dokan
              We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
              ~Anaïs Nin

Comment

• Jundo
                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Khalil Bodhi
                Hello all,

I must admit that I have become quite taken with the practice of shikantaza. Each day after my 15 minute sit I feel more strongly that this style of practice is extremely worthwhile and helps me to see things in way and with a clarity that I haven't before. Forgive me for my ignorance but how does one more seriously commit to this practice here? Is there a process to become a formal student? Any direction would be appreciated.

As an aside, many Theravada Buddhists are celebrating the Buddha's birthday today so Happy Vesak! Metta!

Mike
                Hi Mike,

Well, one becomes a "formal student" by ... sitting Zazen each day, studying and reflecting on the Buddhist Teachings (including the Precepts) and finding how to incorporate all in one's life. That's about it as far as I know ... no fancy costume, beads, labels or even particular ceremony is necessary. If one feels a particular affinity for a particular Sangha and Teachers, just sit and study with them ... but one should learn from many Teachers too.

That being said, we do have our annual Jukai each fall wherein we do study and reflect on each of the Precepts (vowing to avoid harm to self and others ... which are not separate, by the way), sew a Rakusu (a rich and rewarding non-Practice ... Zazen with a needle) and some other actions. We do, as part of the ceremony in January, vow to uphold and live by those Precepts as we can. We also symbolically take our place in this generation of the Lineage of Buddhists before us ... actually a circle unbroken.

However, in my view, the ceremony is not itself the point, but is a celebration and public declaration of the actions I described in the first sentence above ... the sitting, study, reflection, incorporation and avoidance of harm that one seeks to do all the time.

I hope you will consider to join Jukai this year.

Gassho, Jundo
                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

Formal study without zazen is like eating a book - generally dissatisfying but you may come away with the mistaken perception that you actually know something.

Zazen with no formal study is like building a house with only a screwdriver - there are tools available that you're not using.

IMHO.
                  I am going to plagiarize this. Thank you, Chet. Nicely put.

Gassho, J
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Khalil Bodhi
                    • Apr 2012

Jundo et al,

Thank you guys for the great replies. I will certainly join Jukai this year-I have been a 5 precept lay person for years but have never undertaken the bodhisattva precepts and never studied and practiced in the Soto tradition for any length of time. Any other recommendations would be welcome. Thankk you for sharing your practice and good counsel. Mettaya.

Gassho,

Mike
                    -Dhp. 183
                    My Practice Blog

Comment

• Marek
                      • Jan 2012

Hello!

This place gave me a lot. More than I ever expected. That is why I totally agree with your words Chet:

IMHO.
                      And that is why I want to participate in Jukai this year too.

_/_
                      Gassho,
                      Marek

Comment

• alan.r
                        • Jan 2012

IMHO.
                        Haha, this is wonderful!
                        Shōmon

Comment

• Myoku
                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Jundo
                          Well, one becomes a "formal student" by ... sitting Zazen each day, studying and reflecting on the Buddhist Teachings (including the Precepts) and finding how to incorporate all in one's life. That's about it as far as I know ... no fancy costume, beads, labels or even particular ceremony is necessary. If one feels a particular affinity for a particular Sangha and Teachers, just sit and study with them ... but one should learn from many Teachers too.
                          _()_
                          Myoku

Comment

• Taigu
                            Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
                            • Aug 2008

becoming a student is
                            to be a child of the Buddha
                            nothing else

gassho

Taigu