Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marek
    • Jan 2012

The roar of a tiger

Taisen Deshimaru. His chanting pierces me to the bone.

Just sharing...

[youtube] [/youtube]
    Gassho,
    Marek
  • Taigu
    Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
    • Aug 2008

Re: The roar of a tiger

Yes, sensei as we used to call him had an incredible voice, he also had a very strong take on the dharma, down to earth and broad. Compared to him my voice is the voice of a running chicken :lol: . His style inspired my chanting although i sometimes think these day he was a bit over the top and one can find other ways to sing. And I would not recommand anybody to copy this, you could dp a lot of harm to your voice amd throat. Being natral is best.

Gassho

Taigu

May i add that his way of singing the fukanzazengi is very original and breaking with the rhythmical recitation of Zen temples.

Comment

• Koshin
      • Feb 2012

Great tone and rhythm, thanks form sharing

Originally posted by Taigu
      Being natral is best.
      Yes master Taigu... but sometimes I wonder if I even SPEAK (let along sing) with my natural voice, sometimes it just feels wrong, a tone that is not mine.... I don´t know

Gassho
      Thank you for your practice

Comment

• murasaki
        • Mar 2009

His voice carries a lot of gravitas, which is good in other venues like kabuki or poetry reading, but for chanting I think it is a little much, as pleasant as it is to hear.

On the other hand, my voice is about 3 octaves higher than it is in my head, so hearing it reciting the Heart Sutra must make people think of Hello Kitty rather than gravitas :mrgreen: (I used to be a college radio DJ, and would hate it whenever I heard recordings of myself -- is that a progressive music dj, or the host of Kids' Hour? :mrgreen: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G5uTYkJyI0&feature=BFa&list=PL0E6F1839565 A3D9D[/video]] ... 39565A3D9D

In terms of chanting, I haven't heard myself for the above mentioned reasons but it doesn't feel unnatural. I just feel like my voice doesn't strike a low enough note or resonate with much strength. But perhaps these are of less importance than the virtue of just doing it with the right mindfulness.

gassho
        Julia
        "The Girl Dragon Demon", the random Buddhist name generator calls me....you have been warned.

Feed your good wolf.

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
          Friend of Treeleaf
          • May 2010

Gravel from a zen garden. Thank you.
          Myozan

Comment

• Dokan
            Friend of Treeleaf
            • Dec 2010

Deshimaru had a powerful voice. One of my practices has included repeated recitation of Hannya Shingyo while sewing to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGhYtHeI3SQ[/video]]

also this one is nice (not Deshimaru Roshi):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSUziCRrLD4[/video]]

I've converted both to MP3 and just put them on loop, although I don't try to copy him by any means.

Gassho,

Dokan
            We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
            ~Anaïs Nin

Comment

• SoR
              • Dec 2011

I often miss hearing the chanting of my recently-deceased teacher, Myo Ji Sunim. The closest thing to it I've heard is in recordings of Seung Sahn Seon Sa Nim:

[youtube] [/youtube]

Comment

• Marek
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Taigu
                Yes, sensei as we used to call him had an incredible voice, he also had a very strong take on the dharma, down to earth and broad
                Strong voice, strong personality and more important : natural personality

Originally posted by Dokan
                One of my practices has included repeated recitation of Hannya Shingyo while sewing to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGhYtHeI3SQ[/video]]
                Powerfull !

[youtube] [/youtube][/quote]

Thanks SonofRage. To be honest I never heard Seung Sahn chanting before.
                Gassho,
                Marek

Comment

Working...