Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Re: Buddhist Jihad?

Originally posted by Shokai
      He Lives:

In hope of reaching a non-goal
      Ah, well that doll represents the Bodhidharma who sat so long that his legs vanished (known in Japan as the rolly-polly "Daruma Doll"). It also shows the Bodhidharma who is said to have cut off his own eyelids lest he close them and fall asleep (turning to the first tea leaves, thus helping to explain the long connection of Zen and Caffeine) ...

http://www.theteafaq.com/tea/informatio ... elids.html

The connection of Bodhidharma to Tea is also quite fanciful, although the historical connection of Zen monks to tea is quite real.

The Daruma Doll has been adopted in Japan as a symbol of "stick-to-it-iveness" and persistance without most folks realizing the connection to Bodhidharma. So folks undertaking a new project ... such as a politician in an election campaign, a student studying for university exams ... will paint in one eye upon starting the project, and the second eye if they make their goal!

Gassho, J
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• threethirty
        • Dec 2011

As a Martial Artist (Shaolin Kung-Fu no less ) and someone interested in taking/recieving Jukai should either of these aspects of ones notself be considered incompatable or a reason to participate in one or the other activities?

Sorry that is worded so oddly, the words above don't properly ask the question I have but they are as close as I can come right now :?

_/_
        --Washu
        和 Harmony
        秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

Comment

• Rev R
          • Jul 2007

Every warrior should have a code.

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by threethirty
            As a Martial Artist (Shaolin Kung-Fu no less ) and someone interested in taking/recieving Jukai should either of these aspects of ones notself be considered incompatable or a reason to participate in one or the other activities?

Sorry that is worded so oddly, the words above don't properly ask the question I have but they are as close as I can come right now :?

_/_
            No, not incompatible in the least! There is a Buddhist Precept on the Avoiding of Taking Life and a Precept on the Avoiding of Anger. But I believe that a good teacher of Kung-Fu would instill the same values.

Shaolin is a Zen Temple, after all.

Gassho, Jundo (husband of Mina, pictured below, Black belt in Shodokan and 2nd Degree Blackbelt in Aikido)

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• threethirty
              • Dec 2011

Gassho Jundo Sifu
              --Washu
              和 Harmony
              秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

Comment

• Ekai
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by threethirty

_/_
                Martial arts and living by the precepts are not separate but together as one. My martial arts training and being a Buddhist compliment each other in many ways. A true martial artist gives life to others versus taking life by living in a virtuous and wholesome way that treats others with kindness and compassion. Being a martial artist is 100% more than learning the techniques to kill or maim someone but is a goalless journey of growing from the inside and out while inspiring and motivating others to live in truth and harmony. An excellent martial arts teacher is more than instructor that teaches how to kick, punch and throw. They teach about life and help their students develop their mental, emotional and physical capabilities while inspiring to them to see the wonderful people they truly are from within.

My martial art teachers have talked to us in detail about the use of force in a self-defense situation. If someone is attacking you, you can use equal amount of force back but once you have control of the situation the defense should stop. Being that I am a woman, if a larger, stronger man is trying to rape or kill me, I would use whatever self-defense techniques needed to get the heck out of there. I feel that anyone has a right to defend their life even if they are a Buddhist.

Gassho,
                Ekai

Comment

• Rich
                  • Apr 2009

I agree that everyone has right to defend their life. I think that most self defense is avoiding situatons that might require self defence. Precepts gives good direction on this. Also never defend possessions, let the police, lawyers and insurance companies do that.

During buddhas time there was a lot of lawlessness and violence. Since monks didnt have possessions or sex they weren't. Targets of thieves or angry husbands or fathers.

One of my favorite stories is buddha accepting the biggest murderer of his day as a monk.
                  _/_
                  Rich
                  MUHYO
                  無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Shonin
                    • Apr 2009

Hans, thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out the link in the near future.

Jundo, I WANT THAT FIGURE!!!!! I just don't care for the price tag. :/

_/_

Comment

• Omoi Otoshi
                      • Dec 2010

Running is almost always the best way of self-defence!
                      (Middle distance running would probably be best!)

Get away from the situation and, as Rich says, don't be attached to possessions. A wallet is just a piece of leather with paper in it. It's not worth dying for.

As Ekai says, martial arts is so much more than fighting. In fact, the best fighters never need to fight.

Jigoro Kano (the founder of Judo) used to talk about Jita-Kyoei, "Mutual Welfare and Benefit"
                      Morihei Ueshiba (the founder of Aikido) said this about Budo: "At that moment I was enlightened: the source of budo is God's love - the spirit of loving protection for all beings... Budo is not the felling of an opponent by force; nor is it a tool to lead the world to destruction with arms. True Budo is to accept the spirit of the universe, keep the peace of the world, correctly produce, protect and cultivate all beings in nature."

Gassho,
                      Pontus
                      In a spring outside time, flowers bloom on a withered tree;
                      you ride a jade elephant backwards, chasing the winged dragon-deer;
                      now as you hide far beyond innumerable peaks--
                      the white moon, a cool breeze, the dawn of a fortunate day

Comment

• Jinyo
                        • Jan 2012

Hi - this is probably off topic as I know nothing about martial arts - but just wondering if there is a link/history between Taekwondo
                        and Buddhism. The only link I've found reading is to the Hwarang who were scholars and studied buddhism?

I'm curious - because my son is working towards his black belt - and there is a definate buddhist flavour in his instructor's teaching.

Thanks

Willow

Comment

• Omoi Otoshi
                          • Dec 2010

Buddhist Jihad?

Hello Willow!
                          Yes, Taekwondo was influenced by buddhism, taoism and confucianism too.

http://www.taekwondobible.com/3jky/3jky.html

Gassho
                          /Pontus
                          In a spring outside time, flowers bloom on a withered tree;
                          you ride a jade elephant backwards, chasing the winged dragon-deer;
                          now as you hide far beyond innumerable peaks--
                          the white moon, a cool breeze, the dawn of a fortunate day

Comment

• Jinyo
                            • Jan 2012

Thanks Pontus - will forward link to my son - might have a read myself 8)

Willow

Comment

• will
                              • Jun 2007

The one thing from that scanned text, is that they mistook Buddhism as idolatry. Even monks smashed statues at one time. So, who's wrong? They probably would have been less inclined to burn huts and fishing monks. but who knows?

Gassho

W
                              [size=85:z6oilzbt]
                              To save all sentient beings, though beings are numberless.
                              To penetrate reality, though reality is boundless.
                              To transform all delusion, though delusions are immeasurable.
                              To attain the enlightened way, a way non-attainable.
                              [/size:z6oilzbt]

Comment

Working...