Fake Buddha Quotes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006
    • 39074

    Fake Buddha Quotes

    Hi,

    A website that collects "fake" quotes attributed to the Buddha ...

    http://www.bodhipaksa.com/archives/tag/ ... dha-quotes

    Some folks may need to check their post footers!

    Be sure not to miss this video, the ultimate in DA DA DA DARMA ...

    http://www.collegehumor.com/video/34537 ... ote-buddha

    Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Shokai
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Mar 2009
    • 6391

    #2
    Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

    And the words go on......

    thanks Jundo
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

    仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

    "Open to life in a benevolent way"

    https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

    Comment

    • Omoi Otoshi
      Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 801

      #3
      Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

      Nice!
      Buddha got tired of people writing quotes of pseudo-wisdom in his name and reincarnated as this guy? :lol:
      In a spring outside time, flowers bloom on a withered tree;
      you ride a jade elephant backwards, chasing the winged dragon-deer;
      now as you hide far beyond innumerable peaks--
      the white moon, a cool breeze, the dawn of a fortunate day

      Comment

      • Hoyu
        Member
        • Nov 2010
        • 2020

        #4
        Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

        Here's my all time favorite Buddha quote:

        Life is like a box of chocolates,
        You never know what your going to get!
        ~Buddha~
        Hey it wasn't on the fake list so it must be true!
        :lol:

        Gassho,
        Hoyu(John)
        Ho (Dharma)
        Yu (Hot Water)

        Comment

        • RichardH
          Member
          • Nov 2011
          • 2800

          #5
          Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

          As the Buddha said while dwelling at Shravasti, in the Jeta Grove ..

          "Internet fora and online discourse in general, are anicca, dukkha, anatta, ....and low, many will set themselves up as experts".

          Comment

          • Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006
            • 39074

            #6
            Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

            A lot of those quotes and sayings are very pleasant little thoughts and fortune cookies ... but just not anything that can be traced back to the Buddhist Sutras/Suttas.

            On the other hand, all of the Mahayana Sutras and perhaps all the Suttas too ... written long after the historical Buddha's lifetime ... are necessarily anything the Buddha actually said or taught either. So, in such case, the question becomes more what is in keeping with the Buddhadharma, the Buddhist Teachings, and what (although a pleasant fortune cookie) is not.

            Gassho, J
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

            Comment

            • RichardH
              Member
              • Nov 2011
              • 2800

              #7
              Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

              Originally posted by Jundo
              A lot of those quotes and sayings are very pleasant little thoughts and fortune cookies ... but just not anything that can be traced back to the Buddhist Sutras/Suttas.

              On the other hand, all of the Mahayana Sutras and perhaps all the Suttas too ... written long after the historical Buddha's lifetime ... are necessarily anything the Buddha actually said or taught either. So, in such case, the question becomes more what is in keeping with the Buddhadharma, the Buddhist Teachings, and what (although a pleasant fortune cookie) is not.

              Gassho, J
              I thought the Mahayana Sutras came from the lips of the Buddha during a later turning of the wheel and just hidden with the Nagas until the world was ready, or something like that.


              ed. being light hearted here but, seriously .....it does raise a question. If the pedigree of all the Sutras/Suttas is up for review, on what authority are scriptures or words in general determined to be in keeping with the Dharma? I've heard ordained Sangha, representing lineage, say things that are, to this mind (it's all I got) way off the farm.

              Comment

              • Myozan Kodo
                Friend of Treeleaf
                • May 2010
                • 1901

                #8
                Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

                Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it.
                - The Buddha

                Comment

                • Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 39074

                  #9
                  Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

                  Originally posted by Kojip

                  I thought the Mahayana Sutras came from the lips of the Buddha during a later turning of the wheel and just hidden with the Nagas until the world was ready, or something like that.


                  ed. being light hearted here but, seriously it does raise a question. If the pedigree of all the Sutras/Suttas is up for review, on what authority are scriptures or words in general determined to be in keeping with the Dharma. in I've heard ordained Sangha, representing lineage, say things that are , to this mind (it's all I got) way off the farm.
                  Efficacy as a cure for Dukkha. That is the main test.

                  I (probably like you, Kojip) have heard any number of historians' and Buddhist teachers' comments on "What the Buddha Taught" ... and the precise content is lost in the fog of time. However, that being said, we can be pretty darn sure of what was at its heart based on how universal certain teachings and themes were in the earliest literature ... the Four Noble Truths/Dukkha, Non-Self, Impermanence, Dependent Origination, some other things too. The central focus of each, in turn, is a radical 'treatment' for the plague of Dukkha. 'Ol Gautama found a highly effective cure for Dukkha. (Here is one such scholar I was listening to today):

                  http://www.audiodharma.org/series/207/talk/2602/

                  Centuries later, the Mahayana scriptures (even if not literally the Buddha's words) were written by authors infused and inspired by the Buddhist Teachings ... and the writings are nonetheless still focused on these same themes: Four Noble Truths/Dukkha, Non-Self, Impermanence, Dependent Origination, and some other things. The Mahayana writers, in their visions of Emptiness and the like, tinkered with the Buddha's original propositions a little (not all so much really) and found an even more effective cure for Dukkha. ( I sometimes think of Gautama Buddha as the "founder" ... much like the Wright Brothers for the airplane ... and then Buddhism took off on a couple of thousand years of refinement, change to suit cultures, trial and error, adding and subtracting and evolution until we have a Dharma-747! )

                  The bottom line is the efficacy in dropping the self, dropping body-mind, and Liberation from Dukkha. Most of the teachings ... whether an understanding of Dependent Origination, an allowing of Impermanence, living in accord with the Precepts free of hate, anger and ignorance ... are aids in such. The frictions and divisions between our little self and the not-the-self life-world drop away.

                  That is perhaps the One and Only litmus test for what words and teachings are in keeping with the Buddhadharma.

                  Gassho, J
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

                  Comment

                  • Hans
                    Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 1853

                    #10
                    Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

                    Metallica should have stopped making music after releasing the Black Album.

                    - The Buddha




                    Slightly blasphemous Gassho,

                    Hans Chudo Mongen

                    Comment

                    • Jundo
                      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 39074

                      #11
                      Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

                      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

                      Comment

                      • Hoyu
                        Member
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 2020

                        #12
                        Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

                        Jundo wrote:
                        The Mahayana writers, in their visions of Emptiness and the like, tinkered with the Buddha's original propositions and found an even more effective cure for Dukkha. ( I sometimes think of Gautama Buddha as the "founder" ... much like Henry Ford for the Model T car ... and then Buddhism took off on a couple of thousand years of refinement, change to suit cultures, trial and error, adding and subtracting and evolution. )
                        _/_
                        Ho (Dharma)
                        Yu (Hot Water)

                        Comment

                        • Seiryu
                          Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 620

                          #13
                          Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

                          Originally posted by Hans
                          Metallica should have stopped making music after releasing the Black Album.

                          - The Buddha




                          Slightly blasphemous Gassho,

                          Hans Chudo Mongen
                          True wisdom from the enlightened one... :mrgreen:
                          Humbly,
                          清竜 Seiryu

                          Comment

                          • Hoyu
                            Member
                            • Nov 2010
                            • 2020

                            #14
                            Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

                            Jundo wrote:
                            A lot of those quotes and sayings are very pleasant little thoughts and fortune cookies ... but just not anything that can be traced back to the Buddhist Sutras/Suttas.
                            As is the case with the quote I posted above. But hey, if we make a stretch at least we can say that it's still a Buddhist quote. You know, from the........ Forest Tradition
                            Forrest Gump that is! :lol:
                            Ho (Dharma)
                            Yu (Hot Water)

                            Comment

                            • RichardH
                              Member
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 2800

                              #15
                              Re: Fake Buddha Quotes

                              Originally posted by Jundo


                              Efficacy as a cure for Dukkha. That is the main test.

                              I (probably like you, Kojip) have heard any number of historians' and Buddhist teachers' comments on "What the Buddha Taught" ... and the precise content is lost in the fog of time. However, that being said, we can be pretty darn sure of what was at its heart based on how universal certain teachings and themes were in the earliest literature ... the Four Noble Truths/Dukkha, Non-Self, Impermanence, Dependent Origination, some other things too. The central focus of each, in turn, is a radical 'treatment' for the plague of Dukkha. 'Ol Gautama found a highly effective cure for Dukkha. (Here is one such scholar I was listening to today):

                              http://www.audiodharma.org/series/207/talk/2602/

                              Centuries later, the Mahayana scriptures (even if not literally the Buddha's words) were written by authors infused and inspired by the Buddhist Teachings ... and the writings are nonetheless still focused on these same themes: Four Noble Truths/Dukkha, Non-Self, Impermanence, Dependent Origination, and some other things. The Mahayana writers, in their visions of Emptiness and the like, tinkered with the Buddha's original propositions a little (not all so much really) and found an even more effective cure for Dukkha. ( I sometimes think of Gautama Buddha as the "founder" ... much like the Wright Brothers for the airplane ... and then Buddhism took off on a couple of thousand years of refinement, change to suit cultures, trial and error, adding and subtracting and evolution until we have a Dharma-747! )

                              The bottom line is the efficacy in dropping the self, dropping body-mind, and Liberation from Dukkha. Most of the teachings ... whether an understanding of Dependent Origination, an allowing of Impermanence, living in accord with the Precepts free of hate, anger and ignorance ... are aids in such. The frictions and divisions between our little self and the not-the-self life-world drop away.

                              That is perhaps the One and Only litmus test for what words and teachings are in keeping with the Buddhadharma.

                              Gassho, J


                              Gassho, and thank you, Jundo. This post, this teaching, rings true in every way. Kojip

                              Comment

                              Working...