Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyotai

Just a quick question regarding privacy and google +. A few friends of mine have added me to their google + circles. Because I use this primarily as a way to stay in touch with the treeleaf community, I prefer them not to be able to view my profile. I assume they cannot see my details unless unless I add them to a circle..even though they have added me?

Thanks

Shawn

Comment

• Myoku
      • Jul 2010

It depends, Shawn,
      on the (almost) top right of the google+ page is a gear icon; which lets you - once clicked - go to the Settings.
      On this Settings page on the left are various menu items, one reads "Profile and Privacy", click this to get to
      the privacy settings; Now on this page you will find a "Edit Visibility on Profile" button (it should be the first
      grey button from top), NOW you are on the relevant page.
      Yes its a bit complicate and yes, there are MANY options, for each item of your profile you can set if its visible
      to the world, your circles, only you, and so on (just click on the icon left of each profile line).

Its pretty clever, but not obvious, feel free to ask again.
      _()_
      Myoku

Comment

• Gary
        • Nov 2010

Just got an update for iOS Google plus app which unable you to start a hangout.

Gassho
        Gary
        Drinking tea and eating rice.

Comment

• Myoku
          • Jul 2010

I guess its should read "enable" ? Hopefully
          _()_
          Peter

Comment

• Gary
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Myoku
            I guess its should read "enable" ? Hopefully
            _()_
            Peter
            Ha ha, the g+ app for iPad is crashing on start up for me, so unable isn't far off the truth just now.
            Although the iPhone version is fine so far and the hangout worked, it also seemed to stay in the stream without a comment but I added one anyway just in case.

Gassho
            Gary
            Drinking tea and eating rice.

Comment

• Kyotai

One more question, in general, when someone is hosting a hangout for zazen on google (You see several every day) Is it usually open to any and all to join....? I don't want to jump in on a zazen hangout if it was meant to be more private.

Shawn

Comment

• Myoku
                • Jul 2010

Shawn,
                when you see it, you are free to join it. If someone starts something private, he should invite only those people he want to see, and if this doesnt include you, you wont see it. So in short: Please join
                Gassho
                Myoku

Comment

• Kyotai

Are Mic's always on mute?

Comment

• Kaishin
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by zen_rook
                    Are Mic's always on mute?
                    In general, yes. I will usually put that in my status, e.g. "Zazen 30 minutes, mic muted" --just so people don't expect a conversation
                    Thanks,
                    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• RichardH
                      • Nov 2011

Hi Rook.. and fellow Ontarian. There is a morning sitting from 630-700 am EST. I'm going to try and keep it consistent 7 days a week... hangout starting at 6:25 and ending 7:05.. No talk. Just the bell...and a little time for chanting the vows after the sit if that is what you do.. drop in at any point if you feel like it. gassho.
                      Last edited by RichardH; 07-11-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• ZenHarmony
                        • Feb 2012

I always leave my mic on, but I warn people in my comment that I have nature sounds playing, and there is a bell every 5 minutes on my phone that may also be heard. And yes, Jundo, the nature sounds are part of my practice - no binaural beats, no music, just birdsong. The bells used to startle me, now I'm simply amazed at how quickly time flies when I'm sitting.

Gassho,

Lisa

Comment

• Jundo
                          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ZenHarmony
                          I always leave my mic on, but I warn people in my comment that I have nature sounds playing, and there is a bell every 5 minutes on my phone that may also be heard. And yes, Jundo, the nature sounds are part of my practice - no binaural beats, no music, just birdsong. The bells used to startle me, now I'm simply amazed at how quickly time flies when I'm sitting.

Gassho,

Lisa
                          Hi Lisa,

We should really sit with whatever noise there is ... noise and silence as one. So, for example, we have some helicopters (from one of the military bases around here) and many cars that pass by Treeleaf Tsukuba, and also birds singing in the trees. We do not push away any of it ... birds just birds, helicopters just helicopters. To think that birds are lovely, yet helicopters are a racket ... misses the true Silence of Zazen.

Gassho, J
                          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• ZenHarmony
                            • Feb 2012

Hi, Jundo!

I knew you were going to say that, but I feel that the birdsong that I play is mainly just an extension of the birdsong that is outside my window, it blends in so well. But it is also a signal to my mind/no-mind that I am in zazen mode, and allows me to let go of any anger I may have at my husband's interruption with his whooping and hollering downstairs. Since I am such a beginner, can you allow me this crutch until such time as I no longer "need" it and can let it go, as I will be able to let the outside distractions go? Or do I really need to get rid of both the birdsong and the bells right now and simply deal with the frustration? I defer to your better judgement...

Gassho,

Lisa
                            Last edited by ZenHarmony; 07-12-2012, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Kyotai

Originally posted by Kojip
                              Hi Rook.. and fellow Ontarian. There is a morning sitting from 630-700 am EST. I'm going to try and keep it consistent 7 days a week... hangout starting at 6:25 and ending 7:05.. No talk. Just the bell...and a little time for chanting the vows after the sit if that is what you do.. drop in at any point if you feel like it. gassho.
                              Thanks Kojip, I have seen some of your hangouts open on google. I will drop by at some point for sure.

Shawn

Comment

• Jundo
                                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ZenHarmony
                                Hi, Jundo!

I knew you were going to say that, but I feel that the birdsong that I play is mainly just an extension of the birdsong that is outside my window, it blends in so well. But it is also a signal to my mind/no-mind that I am in zazen mode, and allows me to let go of any anger I may have at my husband's interruption with his whooping and hollering downstairs. Since I am such a beginner, can you allow me this crutch until such time as I no longer "need" it and can let it go, as I will be able to let the outside distractions go? Or do I really need to get rid of both the birdsong and the bells right now and simply deal with the frustration? I defer to your better judgement...

Gassho,

Lisa
                                Hi Lisa,

Well, that is fine much like counting one's breath for a beginner. However, I will suggest that the Real Fruits of this practice are where one can sit with birds and helicopters, whooping cranes and hollering husbands.

Here is a filmed talk by Suzuki Roshi (one of the few) in which he speaks of the birdies being not only outside us. You may notice that, in the talk, he finds the birds the annoying sound! Where are the birds singing?

Gassho, J
                                Last edited by Jundo; 07-13-2012, 12:56 AM.
                                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...