• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taigu
    Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
    • Aug 2008

Re: Beads

Hi all,

My juzu is just a reminder. I wear two or three on a left wrist until...they break. They often do.
    There is not any mantra in my life, no recitation.

gassho

Taigu

Comment

• Taylor
      • May 2010

Thank you Hans and Taigu, deeply.
      Gassho,
      Myoken
      [url:r05q3pze]http://staresatwalls.blogspot.com/[/url:r05q3pze]

Comment

• JesterShay
        • Jan 2010

Hans,
        I really like what you wrote. I think you're right. Just as we shouldn't become attached to the objects on our altars, we shouldn't become attached to the mala/juzu or specific rituals associated with them.

My personal take: I made a mala a few years back in the supposed "Zen style", though I really don't know what that means or why they call it that. Anybody have any ideas? I normally put on when I'm sitting zazen, but as I don't do any chants that really need counting, it's mainly just a symbol, not a tool. I'm planning on wearing it for everyday of Ango as a reminder to be aware in every moment, since I haven't made a rakusu or a kesa.

Comment

• Sydney
          • Aug 2010

I have a 108 bead juzu, and do use it for practice at times.

I've found over the years that I can keep time in without a clock by mindfully moving on to the next bead with each full breath if I wish to practice without checking the clock.
          Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
          http://www.janxter.com/

Comment

• Hoyu
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney
            I've found over the years that I can keep time in without a clock by mindfully moving on to the next bead with each full breath if I wish to practice without checking the clock.
            Hi Sydney,

You bring up great point about being able to keep track of time without the use of a clock. Incense were also used to keep time in Asia. Which includes keeping time for meditation. One such device for time keeping was called a Dragon Boat. It was a small metal incense holder with groves at every 15 minute mark. The incense(joss stick) was placed in the Dragon Boat horizontally. A silk tread with metal balls at the ends was placed on the incense stick at any of the grooves for the desired time increment. When the incense burned to the silk thread the metal balls would drop onto a metal "pan" to create a ringing sound to indicate the elapsed time.
            There was another variation of this where the incense was spiral in shape and bells would be tied to it. When the proper amount of time had passed the bells would drop off making a ringing sound to signal specific time passing.

Gassho,
            John
            Ho (Dharma)
            Yu (Hot Water)

Comment

• Sydney
              • Aug 2010

Now that's pretty clever!
              Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
              http://www.janxter.com/

Comment

• Hoyu
                • Nov 2010

Now that's pretty clever!
                I agree!!
                Ho (Dharma)
                Yu (Hot Water)

Comment

• Seiryu
                  • Sep 2010

I have a 108 bead juzu, and do use it for practice at times.

I sometimes use the mala beads during morning walks the way you describe. Moving the beads with each cycle of the breath.

The most powerful mantra cannot be expressed in words, but can be experienced with each inhalation and exhalation.
                  Humbly,
                  清竜 Seiryu

Comment

• Geika
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Jan 2010

I worked all weekend helping to rebuild the deck of my family's vacation cabin in Idyllwild, California. I also wore my juzu/ mala around my wrist the whole time, deciding that I would make a little exercise in reminding myself of practice whenever I see it/ remove it/ put it on. I have kind of formed a habit now of putting it on and taking it off very slowly, like kinhin, taking the small action as an opportunity to practice mindfulness of the beads, of my wrist, etc., reminding myself to make all actions in the same way as I put up slat after slat, or as I ran back and forth through hard rain trying to save the newly purchased lumber. Very good weekend.

I have also made it a reminder of my promise to commit to Ango and Jukai. That promise has brought me all sorts of self-doubt that is great practice!
                    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Dokan
                      Friend of Treeleaf
                      • Dec 2010

Today, for the first time, I used the mala while walking.

My late mother's best friend is in the hospital and not doing so well. So I decided to chant the Enmei Jukku Kannon Gyo 108 times during my walk. Worked out wonderfully, though my belly probably could have used a few more times around the mala.

Gassho

Shawn
                      We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
                      ~Anaïs Nin

Comment

• Nenka
                        • Aug 2010

I made a mala this week out of some "goldstone" beads (goldstone is actually glass with copper in it), no special reason. Probably not very authentic as I had to use plastic "Stretch Magic" beading cord because the holes in the beads were so narrow, I couldn't get anything else to work! :lol:

Comment

• Rev R
                          • Jul 2007

I have a set I wear all the time. The tassel broke off so I replaced it with a small medal with the syllable "Kan". Normally I use it for nembutsu recitation, but I will roll it in my fingers when I'm feeling stressed or just thinking.

Comment

• pdxrain

@Nenka - very cool mala!

Comment

• Hoyu
                              • Nov 2010

Beautiful Nenka!
                              Quick question on stones. This goldstone also looks like something else I've seen at bead shops called moon stone. Are they in any way related?

Gassho,
                              Hoyu(John)
                              Ho (Dharma)
                              Yu (Hot Water)

Comment

• Geika
                                Treeleaf Unsui
                                • Jan 2010

Moonstone is a different gem.
                                求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                                I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

Working...