Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6yx
    • Jun 2011

Why get up?

It accord to me last night driving home from work that saying Zazen is first enlightenment is spot on. I came to meditation before I came to Buddhism. Buddhism I find is the truest attempt to explain all that comes from meditation, or Zazen. But the essence is the just sitting.

So if Zazen is first enlightenment, why get up?

The only rational I could think of is what I called second enlightenments, which would be doing the dishes, making breakfast, going for a walk, dealing and or talking with people. All the things that come with life being honestly experienced for what they are.

Prior to meditation I can say that everything wasn't as "high-definition" as it has all become since I took up the practice. I wouldn't have experienced all these secondary "enlightenments" if I hadn't practiced the first enlightenment.

I'm curious how others see this question of "why get up?" Or if people see zazen as enlightenment, or first enlightenment or what not?

Thank you all for your time
    Hope this finds you well.

Chris.
  • Hans
    • Mar 2007

Re: Why get up?

Hello Chris,

just my novice-in-training two cents here (always to be taken with a pinch of salt).

Having any kind of enlightenment-experience might or might not have its benefits in some way, but far more important is the fact that practise and realisation need to be enacted and expressed through our daily lives (whether that is the daily life of a secret agent or of an accountant in a dusty office doesn't matter).

No getting up also means no real (or real-ised) awakening...just the memory of some spiritual notion maybe...awakening is a never ending process of awakened action.

As to first and second enlightenment...well, once one becomes aware of the uncountable times that our world is changing at every moment, numbers like one or two, or first or second tend to lose a bit of their importance in the overall panorama of things. Instead the dishes you wash, the lawn you mow, the girl you kiss...all of that happens exactly when you awaken to the nature of that moment. Past, present and future....too often we turn these into artificial realms of hope and/or regret. Awaken to what you are doing now again and again and the rest might just take care of itself.

No getting up, no waking up

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen (who will now rather reluctantly do some weeding his tiny garden : ) )

Comment

• Hoyu
      • Nov 2010

Chris wrote:
      I'm curious how others see this question of "why get up?" Or if people see zazen as enlightenment, or first enlightenment or what not?
      Well, here is my opinion(and if I'm heading in the wrong direction I'm sure our teachers will set me straight. Kyosaku with words kind of thing!)

There is nothing special about Zazen, and that's exactly what makes it special! If you can commit to a practice with your whole heart and being, as "stripped down" as just sitting and in front of a plain wall is, where can you go from there? If you can make a mountain out of a mole hill then why stop there? Cannot every word, thought, action, and everything else in-between, also then become a mountain as well?!
      It's cyclical. First take something as seemingly insignificant as just sitting. Give it all the significance in the world. Embody that significance and extend it to everything else. Return to the origin of sitting practice with a new realization. Sitting and walking, one and the same. Sitting and stubbing your toe, one and the same. Sitting and dying, one and the same. Sitting and everything, one and the same!

Something like that :wink:
      Gassho,
      John
      Ho (Dharma)
      Yu (Hot Water)

Comment

• Seiryu
        • Sep 2010

I wrote this note on facebook and I think it touches the issue here...

forgive me if it sucks... ops:

n Zen they say: Before you meditate rivers are rivers, mountains are mountains; when you meditate rivers are no longer rivers, mountains are no longer mountains; and when the meditation is completed, when you have attained it, rivers are again rivers, mountains are again mountains.~

To this statement I received the response; “then, what is the point?”

After contemplating for a while I realized that there is no point. That’s the beauty of it, that there is no point. Our whole lives we are brought up to look for the point in things, to constantly look for some future moment instead of looking at what is in front of us now. Normally we look at mountains and rivers and think “how beautiful” or “nah, the mountains over there are prettier” we occupy ourselves with thoughts such as these. The practice of Zen lets us see mountains and rivers for what they are, outside of any thoughts of past and future. To see the mountains and rivers of the present moment is to truly see mountains and rivers. To see the present, to see the now, is to truly see the world we live in, not the world we think we live in.

The great Zen master Daido Roshi once said; “Words and ideas are a description of reality, silence is a negation of reality. What is the reality itself?” You cannot reach it merely by thinking about it anymore than you can think your way to truly tasting an apple. To see it, you have to experience it. By experiencing it, it is no longer an idea, a belief, it becomes real, it becomes true. To live and breathe fully in the present moment, is to see the world through the eyes of the divine. It is to see the world through the eyes of your true self.

If want to see the mountains and rivers of the present moment, you must first drop your ideas of mountain, and no mountain. Drop the idea, and let yourself fully embrace the moment. Then you will be able to see unobstructed and clearly. Then you will see mountain, river, self and other as part of this whole we call the universe...
        _/_

Seiryu
        Humbly,
        清竜 Seiryu

Comment

• Taigu
          Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
          • Aug 2008

Without getting up how could you, even in a dream, sit down?

gassho

Taigu

Comment

• Taigu
            Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
            • Aug 2008

Mongen and John,

deep bows

Taigu

Comment

• 6yx
              • Jun 2011

I appreciate all the responses. They've given my mind something to chew on and digest.

Many thanks.

Comment

• ChrisA
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by JRBrisson
                First take something as seemingly insignificant as just sitting. Give it all the significance in the world. Embody that significance and extend it to everything else. Return to the origin of sitting practice with a new realization. Sitting and walking, one and the same. Sitting and stubbing your toe, one and the same. Sitting and dying, one and the same. Sitting and everything, one and the same!

Something like that :wink:
                Gassho!
                Chris Seishi Amirault
                (ZenPedestrian)

Comment

• Nindo

Because my knees hurt, that's why!
                  (Sit a sesshin and you'll know.)

Comment

• Kaishin
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by 6yx
                    If life just ends in death, why not jump off a cliff now?
                    Thanks,
                    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Myoku
                      • Jul 2010

Zazen might be first enlightenment, but enlightenment - if we wish to use that label - cannot be different from practice. Practice cannot be just sitting, though just sitting is the vital point in our practice. Practice has to be whole day and night, thus getting up and living in this world.
                      _()_
                      Peter

Comment

• ChrisA
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Matto
                        Originally posted by 6yx
                        If life just ends in death, why not jump off a cliff now?
                        That got me laughing hard!!
                        Chris Seishi Amirault
                        (ZenPedestrian)

Comment

• Risho
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by Seiryu
                          I wrote this note on facebook and I think it touches the issue here...

forgive me if it sucks... ops:

n Zen they say: Before you meditate rivers are rivers, mountains are mountains; when you meditate rivers are no longer rivers, mountains are no longer mountains; and when the meditation is completed, when you have attained it, rivers are again rivers, mountains are again mountains.~

To this statement I received the response; “then, what is the point?”

After contemplating for a while I realized that there is no point. That’s the beauty of it, that there is no point. Our whole lives we are brought up to look for the point in things, to constantly look for some future moment instead of looking at what is in front of us now. Normally we look at mountains and rivers and think “how beautiful” or “nah, the mountains over there are prettier” we occupy ourselves with thoughts such as these. The practice of Zen lets us see mountains and rivers for what they are, outside of any thoughts of past and future. To see the mountains and rivers of the present moment is to truly see mountains and rivers. To see the present, to see the now, is to truly see the world we live in, not the world we think we live in.

The great Zen master Daido Roshi once said; “Words and ideas are a description of reality, silence is a negation of reality. What is the reality itself?” You cannot reach it merely by thinking about it anymore than you can think your way to truly tasting an apple. To see it, you have to experience it. By experiencing it, it is no longer an idea, a belief, it becomes real, it becomes true. To live and breathe fully in the present moment, is to see the world through the eyes of the divine. It is to see the world through the eyes of your true self.

If want to see the mountains and rivers of the present moment, you must first drop your ideas of mountain, and no mountain. Drop the idea, and let yourself fully embrace the moment. Then you will be able to see unobstructed and clearly. Then you will see mountain, river, self and other as part of this whole we call the universe...
                          _/_

Seiryu

Gassho.

I used to hear something similar when I practiced martial arts years ago.

"Before we practice the art, a punch is just a punch, a kick is just a kick.
                          While we practice the art, a punch is not a punch, a kick is not a kick.
                          After we master the art, a punch is just a punch, a kick is just a kick."

I remember Daido Roshi talking about how practice was like this spiral moving in space. Learning, practice and then realization, over and over. I believe this is describing just that. It's how we, as human beings, discover, learn and then integrate something we learn into our lives.

After throwing 1000's and 1000's of kicks and punches, those are just kicks and punches. But when learning new and countless ways to apply those, then they are no longer just kicks and punches. Then, once it becomes effortless to apply those things spontaneously, those are just kicks and punches. Until we learn a new facet to the art. Then it starts over.

Gassho,

Risho
                          Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• disastermouse

I once heard Steve Hagen say in a dharma talk that a bodhisattva exists the way a pedestrian exists. When a pedestrian arrives at his destination or gets in a car, he is no longer a pedestrian. Where does the pedestrian go?

Buddhas are also like this.

Chet

Comment

• ChrisA
                              • Jun 2011

I think that pedestrian comparison (from Buddhism Is Not What You Think) is pretty apt.
                              Chris Seishi Amirault
                              (ZenPedestrian)

Comment

Working...