Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Echo
    • Apr 2011

Re: Zen at home

I'm still unsure of how to even breach the topic with my family - we've lived continents apart for several years so the topic has simply never come up. However, eventually it will, and there will be a definite clash between my philosophical approach and my father's strong Orthodox Christian faith. From those of you who've been there, any tips on rocking that boat without capsizing?
    -Konstantin

Comment

• Saijun
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Echo
      I'm still unsure of how to even breach the topic with my family - we've lived continents apart for several years so the topic has simply never come up. However, eventually it will, and there will be a definite clash between my philosophical approach and my father's strong Orthodox Christian faith. From those of you who've been there, any tips on rocking that boat without capsizing?
      Hello Konstantin,

When I was in the process of leaving the Christian faith (and it was a process), I found that these two articles helped explain my position and bridge the gap between my Christian family and Buddhism. While they're still not wildly enthusiastic about it, they've come to more or less accept that yes, I am serious, no, it's not a rebellion thing, and I still support them in the practice of their faith.

1.) The Enemy Within, by Archmandrite Dionysios
      2.) No Escape for the Ego, by Rev. Sheng-yen

I sincerely hope this helps.

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun
      To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

From those of you who've been there, any tips on rocking that boat without capsizing?
        Hi Echo,

I often say that we don't prosthelytize and rarely need to try to convince anyone of the worth of these things.

Rather, just be a good son/daughter/husband/wife/parent/friend ... perhaps let the peace and gentleness show itself in our ordinary behavior and interactions with others as the years pass ... and many folks will slowly come to understand, even if they do not fully understand.

Gassho, J
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• disastermouse

Originally posted by Jundo
          From those of you who've been there, any tips on rocking that boat without capsizing?
          Hi Echo,

I often say that we don't prosthelytize and rarely need to try to convince anyone of the worth of these things.

Rather, just be a good son/daughter/husband/wife/parent/friend ... perhaps let the peace and gentleness show itself in our ordinary behavior and interactions with others as the years pass ... and many folks will slowly come to understand, even if they do not fully understand.

Gassho, J
          I wouldn't even know how to proselytize this practice. Heck, I can't even convincingly explain that I'm sitting for no reason at all. Compared to the everlasting life promised by other religions, Zen seems to offer very little.

Chet

Comment

• ghop
            • Jan 2010

When Buddhism becomes a thing in my head, it creates friction with my family and friends.

When Buddhism becomes a path of right action, everyone around me benefits without really even knowing why.

Views are just views. Whoever is right in front of you at this moment, that is Buddha. Serve and love and honor that, whether it's your spouse, children, boss, homeless person, animal, plant, whatever. By being "nothing special" in itself, Zen opens up the uniqueness of every experience of our life and elevates every encounter to an encounter with Emptiness.

gassho
            Greg

Comment

• Graceleejenkins
              • Feb 2011

I
              just don’t see a big conflict with religion. The way I relate to Buddha’s teaching, I just don’t consider it a religion. My step-mother did object a little when I talked about Buddhist philosophy, but I told her Buddhism wasn’t a religion in my viewpoint. (There is another thread on Treeleaf on whether Buddhism is a philosophy or a religion.) As a Christian, I never took the Bible literally and I have never been one to accept “unthinking dogma,” for instance I do no believe in hell or creationism. I do, however, relate to Jesus and his example, and I could call myself both (or neither!). Gassho, Grace.
              Sat today and 10 more in honor of Treeleaf's 10th Anniversary!

Comment

• Hoyu
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JRBrisson
                Chris wrote:
                She also has a sense of humor about it all: she joked the other day that OF COURSE she knew not to say, "So how'd it go?" after I have been sitting
                Hi Chris,

I got a good chuckle out of this one! I can actually relate, only my wife is totally serrious when she asks "So how was Zazen?" or "How did Zazenkai go?". I just smile and say "Good!"

Gassho,
                John
                Here is a humorous followup to this....
                Tonight after Zazen I came upstairs and my wife asked the usual "How was Zazen?" to which I replied "It was great I attained enlightenment!"
                Her response couldn't have been better even if I was serious!
                She said "That's good." then just casually turned around and went back to brushing her teeth :lol:
                Ho (Dharma)
                Yu (Hot Water)

Comment

• Dokan
                  Friend of Treeleaf
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JRBrisson
                  She said "That's good." then just casually turned around and went back to brushing her teeth :lol:
                  Maybe she was practicing enlightenment...either that, or she realizes it's nothing special.

Gassho

s
                  We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
                  ~Anaïs Nin

Comment

• ChrisA
                    • Jun 2011

Yeah, "nothing special," very zen: I'm surprised she didn't tell you to "just brush your teeth"!
                    Chris Seishi Amirault
                    (ZenPedestrian)

Comment

• Ankai
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Nov 2007

The only problem I've ever had is from Catholic in-laws who can't quite grasp that we don't worship Buddha. When I explained that having being raised a Christian, I still revere Jesus and have nothng but respect for his teachings (in many ways more than they do without their realizing it,) it brought some peace; the picture of Jesus meditating that I have in the frontroom helped a lot. (I also have a picure of an Eastern Icon that depicts Christ and the Buddha embracing... that at least led to some reasonable conversation.)
                      The Baby will be read to sleep with both "Stillwater the Bear" and "Jesus Loves Me."
                      Gassho!
                      護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!

Comment

Working...