Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctpowers8
    • Mar 2011

Regaining sanity one stitch at a time.

Regaining sanity one stitch at a time. This is the name of a group I just opened up yesterday for stitching practice. I had multiple consumers show up and it was amazing. As some of you know I have been incapacitated for some time and my main practice has been sewing. I thought I would share the benefits I got from this to consumers and I saw amazing results. Since this is not a buddhist class we did not sew anything like a rakusu or a kesa but I just had them do back stitches on lines I had put on some fabric. Normally groups are rowdy but once they started even those going through mania seemed to very focused on this simple task. I had one girl with severe schizophrenia who cant draw a straight line who had the best stitches and no outburst which is miraculous. I was nervous still being a little sick and this being my first day back but it turned out great. My friend Nick who is a Chan buddhist monk told me that the practice sounded great as long as I don't turn them into a mental health sweat shop. I just thought I would share.
    Gasho
    Chris
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: Regaining sanity one stitch at a time.

Originally posted by ctpowers8
    Regaining sanity one stitch at a time. This is the name of a group I just opened up yesterday for stitching practice. I had multiple consumers show up and it was amazing. As some of you know I have been incapacitated for some time and my main practice has been sewing. I thought I would share the benefits I got from this to consumers and I saw amazing results. Since this is not a buddhist class we did not sew anything like a rakusu or a kesa but I just had them do back stitches on lines I had put on some fabric. Normally groups are rowdy but once they started even those going through mania seemed to very focused on this simple task. I had one girl with severe schizophrenia who cant draw a straight line who had the best stitches and no outburst which is miraculous. I was nervous still being a little sick and this being my first day back but it turned out great. My friend Nick who is a Chan buddhist monk told me that the practice sounded great as long as I don't turn them into a mental health sweat shop. I just thought I would share.
    Gasho
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

It took me a moment to recall what you mean by "consumers", but then I remembered that your work is this ...

I am a PHD candidate in Clinical Psychology and I teach Art, Meditation and Depression Groups in our county mental health system.

I guess that is a term for people undergoing mental health therapy and rehabilitation?

Sounds to me that sewing could be a lovely and helpful practice for such folks.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Dosho
      • Jun 2008

Chris,

I cannot fully express how much sewing has helped in my practice, so I think it is a wonderful idea. Good luck with your endeavor and let us know how it goes!

Gassho,
      Dosho

Comment

• Taigu
        Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
        • Aug 2008

Indeed,

A great initiative.

Thank you Chris

gassho

Taigu

Comment

• Hogo
          • Feb 2010

Not a bad reminder for those of us who could use some calm as well. It is always a good day to work on my backstitch, and I have yet to make a Rakusu pouch.
          Now where did I put that needle?
          Gassho.

Comment

• Stephanie

Wonderful idea, thanks for sharing

Gassho!

Comment

• murasaki
              • Mar 2009

This is why I knit and make jewelry. Thank you for sharing it!

Gassho
              Julia
              "The Girl Dragon Demon", the random Buddhist name generator calls me....you have been warned.

Feed your good wolf.

Comment

Working...