Rules of Purity for Chan Monasteries

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • anista
    Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 262

    Rules of Purity for Chan Monasteries

    Hello all,

    does anybody know if there is an online version of the text Rules of Purity for Chan Monasteries? I know Dogen makes a reference to it, and I am also aware of the abridged version by rev. Yifa. I haven't found the text in its entirety on the web though. Maybe some of you know?

    Philip
    The mind does not know itself; the mind does not see itself
    The mind that fabricates perceptions is false; the mind without perceptions is nirv??a
  • Dokan
    Friend of Treeleaf
    • Dec 2010
    • 1222

    #2
    Re: Rules of Purity for Chan Monasteries

    I found this:

    The Zen Cannon

    Heine-ZenCanon.pdf

    Pg 275+

    May be helpful?

    Gassho,

    Shawn
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

    Comment

    • Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006
      • 39211

      #3
      Re: Rules of Purity for Chan Monasteries

      Originally posted by anista
      Hello all,

      does anybody know if there is an online version of the text Rules of Purity for Chan Monasteries? I know Dogen makes a reference to it, and I am also aware of the abridged version by rev. Yifa. I haven't found the text in its entirety on the web though. Maybe some of you know?

      Philip
      Hi Philip,

      I know only the one you mention by Rev. Yifa, partially online ...

      http://www.thezensite.com/ZenBookReview ... Codes.html

      http://books.google.com/books?id=91OPcS ... frontcover

      The translation by Taigen Leighton of Dogen's Eihei Shingi quotes from the original closely to compare, as they are so very close except on small details of procedure, although Dogen expands and elaborates on the content of the older rules.

      http://books.google.com/books?id=XJHAOI ... &q&f=false

      Sorry that I cannot be more helpful. Are you interested in any particular question?

      Gassho, J
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

      Comment

      • anista
        Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 262

        #4
        Re: Rules of Purity for Chan Monasteries

        Originally posted by shards
        I found this:

        The Zen Cannon

        Heine-ZenCanon.pdf

        Pg 275+

        May be helpful?

        Gassho,

        Shawn
        Thank you Shawn, very useful!

        Philip
        The mind does not know itself; the mind does not see itself
        The mind that fabricates perceptions is false; the mind without perceptions is nirv??a

        Comment

        • anista
          Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 262

          #5
          Re: Rules of Purity for Chan Monasteries

          Originally posted by Jundo
          Hi Philip,

          I know only the one you mention by Rev. Yifa, partially online ...

          http://www.thezensite.com/ZenBookReview ... Codes.html

          http://books.google.com/books?id=91OPcS ... frontcover

          The translation by Taigen Leighton of Dogen's Eihei Shingi quotes from the original closely to compare, as they are so very close except on small details of procedure, although Dogen expands and elaborates on the content of the older rules.

          http://books.google.com/books?id=XJHAOI ... &q&f=false

          Sorry that I cannot be more helpful. Are you interested in any particular question?

          Gassho, J
          Thank you for those links, Jundo. Just like Shawn's link above, very helpful and useful!

          But no, I'm not interested in any particular question. I read a translation of Tenzo kyokun and noticed that Dogen made a reference to it, and I wanted to check it out. It was apparently an important text, but I hadn't heard of it before. It seems interesting.

          Philip

          Philip
          The mind does not know itself; the mind does not see itself
          The mind that fabricates perceptions is false; the mind without perceptions is nirv??a

          Comment

          Working...