Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnsonCM
    • Jan 2010

Public Sitting

Ok, I think Alan is right, on a number of things. I should simply act. So here's what I'm going to do. I am going to start a public sitting project, starting in the Spring time frame. If anyone wants to join me, then please PM me or email me or leave a message here in this thread. If I don't have anyone who wants to sit, then I will pick a cause and I will develope a flier that talks about the cause and what people can do to help. I will not collect any money. I will send it to Jundo and Taigu for approval, and for whether or not they want Treeleaf listed anywhere on it, but either way, I'd like their opinion.

If people do want to join me, then we'll all discuss these things, assign tasks to those with the time, means, and talent to complete, and one the designated day or days, we will sit. Any other particulars can be worked out with those who wish to participate, and if you don't want to sit, I'd still like any opinions on materials we use, dates or locations we choose, help in researching to make sure charities and organizations we list won't rob the people who contribute money to them blind, etc.

I will post a date that I will sit, or if there are others, a schedule of when we will sit, and generally keep the sangha updated on what happens with the project.

This is, of course, all pending Jundo and Taigu's approval.
    Gassho,
    "Heitetsu"
    Christopher
    Sat today
  • Jinyu
    • May 2009

Re: Public Sitting

Hi everyone!
    Sounds great!
    But can you explain what you have exactly in mind? ... I can't really understand how it works :roll:

thanks for sharing!

gassho,
    Jinyu
    Jinyu aka Luis aka Silly guy from Brussels

Comment

• Saijun
      • Jul 2010

Hello Chris,

I would be more than happy to offer my services in whatever capacity you deem necessary.

Metta,

Perry
      To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Comment

• Shohei
        • Oct 2007

Hiyas
        Interesting Idea Christopher, glad your making making a commitment!

If you do not mind, Fugen and I were just reading this while meeting and we would like to humbly offer a suggestion.
        It would be good to get organized and get people together, working as a group (many hands, right?) and moving forward our suggestion is this:

Rather than pm how about keeping things in the open, by posting in this thread (maybe as a sticky thread or even as its own sub forum?). This way as new folks (and old) to Treeleaf come to Treeleaf, they will see and have the opportunity to join and have the information needed to make take the leap with you. Hope that makes sense?

Gassho & Mtfbwy
        Shohei & Fugen

Comment

• JohnsonCM
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Shohei
          Hiyas

If you do not mind, Fugen and I were just reading this while meeting and we would like to humbly offer a suggestion.
          It would be good to get organized and get people together, working as a group (many hands, right?) and moving forward our suggestion is this:

Rather than pm how about keeping things in the open, by posting in this thread (maybe as a sticky thread or even as its own sub forum?). This way as new folks (and old) to Treeleaf come to Treeleaf, they will see and have the opportunity to join and have the information needed to make take the leap with you. Hope that makes sense?

Gassho & Mtfbwy
          Shohei & Fugen
          Well, I had tried to do that in the Socially Engaged Buddhism thread, and there seemed to be some push back. As to keeping it in the open, I'm all for it and I'd love to have this as a sticky thread (ummm, maybe you could help me out with that, don't know how it's done).

As to the details, I will see how many folks "sign up" by the 21st. That should be enough time for a preliminary group of people. Then we can decide what we are going to sit for, what days we will sit (weather depending, not every one is in the same season at the same time). We can come up with an informative flier about the cause we are sitting for, group approve it, Jundo and Taigu approve it and off we go. We'll post results and pics.

Sound good so far?
          Gassho,
          "Heitetsu"
          Christopher
          Sat today

Comment

• AlanLa
            • Mar 2008

Hiyas

Gassho & Mtfbwy
            Shohei & Fugen
            We had a socially engaged Buddhism thread that evolved into this public sitting thread, and the herding cats thread has evolved into another activity idea thread. So, what about having a whole new forum for socially engaged Buddhist activities? On the good side, it might be a place where people can post their ideas and recruit people to those activities. On the bad side, it might become an exercise in ego gratification. I don't know, so I am just throwing it out there.
            AL (Jigen) in:
            Faith/Trust
            Courage/Love
            Awareness/Action!

I sat today

Comment

• chessie
              • Jun 2008

Here is a link to how one group approaches public sitting, and some guidelines. Of course, as previously mentioned, this should have input from Jundo and Taigu.

http://clearmindzen.org/streetzen.html

Gassho,

Ann

Comment

• Heisoku
                • Jun 2010

Here is link to another example of public sitting;
                During my stay at Antaiji I came into contact with five teachers of Zen. Three, I met, and two I learned of through their heirs and their writings. All of these teachers were, in some capacity, con…

I'm not sure how this would stack up in the west but....

Gassho

Heisoku
                Heisoku 平 息
                Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Comment

• Shohei
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by AlanLa
                  Hiyas

Gassho & Mtfbwy
                  Shohei & Fugen
                  We had a socially engaged Buddhism thread that evolved into this public sitting thread, and the herding cats thread has evolved into another activity idea thread. So, what about having a whole new forum for socially engaged Buddhist activities? On the good side, it might be a place where people can post their ideas and recruit people to those activities. On the bad side, it might become an exercise in ego gratification. I don't know, so I am just throwing it out there.
                  On the idea of forum for say Engaged Buddhism or what not I think is solid Idea worth looking into. Since we have some solid threads now with lots of thoughts and topics being discussed in one huge thread(s).

As for Ego gratification - Any thing can be an exercise in that...really anything! Funny what the ego will inflate itself over. I say this as it popped up in my mind too.
                  Sometimes we have to get off the bench, pick a play and go out and give it a try! (not that I am here to say what is bench warming and what is not, or in any way capable to do so)
                  Perhaps we should all approach these topics as with a bit of an optimists take on the post and give the benefit of the doubt for the intentions of the poster.

Gassho
                  Shohei

Comment

• chessie
                    • Jun 2008

This thread reminded me of a small incident from years back, which may be humorous in hindsight. I was having work done on my car at a small shop which was a building located in the middle of a parking lot of a large shopping center. Across from the entrance was an island with grass and a tree, next to parked cars. After my car was checked in, I lay down on the grass, enjoying the chatter of shoppers, the breeze on my face, watching the helicopter fly around over head..., and I must have dozed off. I *saw* the helicopter...and shortly thereafter I was awakened by a policeman asking if I was all right, and what I was doing there. I really didn't see what the problem was, but he suggested I use the waiting room inside the building until they were done with my car.

Since then, I guess I'm a little more careful what I do, and how and where I do things outside the house. ops:

I still don't get it...it was a nice sunny day :?

Gassho, Ann

Comment

• Jundo
                      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Nigel99
                      Here is link to another example of public sitting;
                      During my stay at Antaiji I came into contact with five teachers of Zen. Three, I met, and two I learned of through their heirs and their writings. All of these teachers were, in some capacity, con…

I'm not sure how this would stack up in the west but....

Gassho

Heisoku
                      Sodo Yokoyama, the Japanese priest who is described in the article ... sitting in the park for years, offering tea and little songs played on leaf harps ... was a priest of Antaiji of Homeless Kodo Sawaki (and Kosho Uchiyama) who each so much inspire our own Lineage.

The book under discussion is very much recommended for introducing this bunch of madmen and free spirits, and is on our recommended readings list ...

• Living and Dying in Zazen (Biographies of Sawaki Roshi, Uchiyama Roshi and others associated with Antai-ji) by Arthur Braverman

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889

Unfortunately, it seems that Antaiji of late has become a bit more bound in monastic ways and fixed in place, but one can sit Zazen in the park, in a parking space, on a roller coaster in an amusement park, in space, anywhere.

Gassho, J
                      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• JohnsonCM
                        • Jan 2010

Thanks to everyone for all the input and those links to public sitting were very informative and beneficial. As it gets warmer, what I believe I will do is review information on my area regarding children who are fighting against cancer. I have a special inclination toward problems that effect children and I think that this would be a good starting point for me, before moving on to something as large or something outside the impact of my locality. My plan is to sit in a public area, there are several parks, but one close by that is very open (we have a lot of parks here but most of them are tree heaven!) that many people visit and there is a large waterfall there that I find particularly beautiful. Plus, I'd like to have the experience of sitting near that waterfall to see how I sit with the rushing of the water as a background noise. There are, I believe, some local-ish charities and organizations that work specifically for and with children with cancer, and we have had some children in this area that have developed various forms of the disease.

Even though, the instructions from Chessie were to only include instructions for sitting zazen, I would like to review some of these organizations and ensure that they are credable, and honest, and put together a small pamphlet that talks about what types of childhood cancers are most prevelent, how they affect children and their families, the struggles they go through both emotionally and financially, and to list some resources available (without suggesting one over the other, because I'm not trying to push a particular organization over another) that help these children and their families with medical care, counseling, financial help, etc. And to list ways that the public could contribute, either by donating to these organizations, volunteering time, advocating them on the internet through blogging, or if they have programs where people can contribute time in some way, or even just a reminder that if they know someone in this situation, opening their heart to them and listening to them and being there for them emotionally would be a tremendous help.

If it would be OK with Jundo and Taigu, after I compile this information and edit it for content and spelling and the like, I would like to place a small statement on the back of the pamphlet to the effect of:

This information has been compiled and distributed by members of Treeleaf Sangha, an online Soto Zen community, for the purpose of information and compassionate action. Treeleaf Sangha does not endorse, nor is it affiliated with any organization listed herein. If you would like general information on Treeleaf, or Soto Zen, please consider reviewing http://www.treeleaf.org, and some of the links in our Resources section.

I know this is a little bit of a can of worms, but as compassionate practicioners, it is our duty to open that can of worms to let the poor little guys out. That was an attempt at humor........ ops:
                        Gassho,
                        "Heitetsu"
                        Christopher
                        Sat today

Comment

• Dosho
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by JohnsonCM
                          If it would be OK with Jundo and Taigu, after I compile this information and edit it for content and spelling and the like, I would like to place a small statement on the back of the pamphlet to the effect of:

This information has been compiled and distributed by members of Treeleaf Sangha, an online Soto Zen community, for the purpose of information and compassionate action. Treeleaf Sangha does not endorse, nor is it affiliated with any organization listed herein. If you would like general information on Treeleaf, or Soto Zen, please consider reviewing http://www.treeleaf.org, and some of the links in our Resources section.

I know this is a little bit of a can of worms, but as compassionate practicioners, it is our duty to open that can of worms to let the poor little guys out. That was an attempt at humor........ ops:
                          Hi Chris,

I continue to applaud your efforts in spreading the dharma, but I also still don't understand why you feel that including references to Treeleaf are required to undertake such a task. You keep referring to what we need to do, but it sounds to me like these are things that in your mind you have to do.

I will of course wait to see what Jundo and Taigu have to say on this matter, but as a member of the sangha I feel very strongly that the pamphlet you have proposed using is not apporpriate to what we do here. That is just my opinion and is but a single voice among many. However, a project such as the one you propose in its current form would be the first effort at Treeleaf that I could not support in good conscience.

Whether or not Taigu and Jundo ultimately approve your project, I strongly suggest that you undertake your effort without the apparent safety net of a Treeleaf endorsement and see how that goes. And, in any case, I hope your efforts bring you the results you are seeking.

Gassho,
                          Dosho

Comment

• JohnsonCM
                            • Jan 2010

If you don't mind, I'll just address your major concerns in a somewhat quick manner, I'm not feeling to well at the moment (kids love to share, especially germs).

Originally posted by Dosho
                            I continue to applaud your efforts in spreading the dharma, but I also still don't understand why you feel that including references to Treeleaf are required to undertake such a task. You keep referring to what we need to do, but it sounds to me like these are things that in your mind you have to do.
                            The only thing I referenced needing to do was open a can of worms to let the worms out. That was just a really, really, bad attempt at a joke. Sorry, the next one will be funny....maybe. I make no promises.

I will of course wait to see what Jundo and Taigu have to say on this matter, but as a member of the sangha I feel very strongly that the pamphlet you have proposed using is not apporpriate to what we do here.
                            What do we do here? From my understanding, we practice seated zazen, and everything else zazen, we work on the Genjokoan every day, we try to save all sentient beings, and we live the Bodhisattva vows while ensuring the Teachings do not die, but find fertile soil in our foot prints. How is what I have proposed in conflict with that? If there is conflict with our Way, please correct me and I will be more than happy to listen and learn.

Whether or not Taigu and Jundo ultimately approve your project, I strongly suggest that you undertake your effort without the apparent safety net of a Treeleaf endorsement and see how that goes. And, in any case, I hope your efforts bring you the results you are seeking.
                            I don't view a Treeleaf endorsement as a safety net, and the endorsement would only be in the form of "Yes it is ok to put that on the pamphlet." I will sit, and try to raise awareness about childhood cancer if Jundo allows me to put that on the pamphlet or not. The only difference is whether people might read the Treeleaf web address because it's on the back of the pamphlet, or they won't because it isn't. As for results, well....I sincerely hope people are moved to help kids with cancer, such a thing would be a wonderful expression of compassion from others. What I am "seeking", I suppose, is that someone out of all the people who see me or take information from me, begins to want to do more than I have suggested, and begins to actively search out ways to decrease the suffering of others. Eventually, that person might even look at the back of that pamphlet, and find the way to Treeleaf and the Way of the Tathagatha.

Or not. But, if I don't sit and I don't try to engage people, then I can be a lot more sure that they won't.
                            Gassho,
                            "Heitetsu"
                            Christopher
                            Sat today

Comment

• Hogen
                              • Oct 2009

again, I'm not critical of doing things for causes you believe in (and I'm not against public sitting per se); but sitting for the purpose of raising awareness for a cause seems to go against the "radical goalessness" that we aim towards.
                              Hogen
                              法眼

#SatToday

Comment

Working...