Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • berrykat
    • Apr 2009

Bats in Zendo

Jundo I noticed something flying around during zazenkai are there bats or moths. I could not get a good look at them. -gasho Andrea
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: Bats in Zendo

You mean during our weekly Zazenkai sitting?

viewforum.php?f=11

Alas, they are moths driven toward the flame and light ... as we all are toward the objects of our desire ...

In keeping with the Precept on Preserving Life, I have sought to tighten the screens on the door.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• forestree
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Jundo
      Alas, they are moths driven toward the flame and light ... as we all are toward the objects of our desire ...
      So true...
      this reminded me of something I once read by Pema Chödron:
      "We look for happiness in all the wrong places. Like a moth flying into the flame, we destroy ourselves in order to find temporary relief. Because we often find such relief, we continue to reinforce old patterns of suffering and strengthen dysfunctional patterns in the process."

I confess feeling like a moth blinded by the sight of light quite frequently, except that nobody is going to be there tightening the screens on the doors for me to be safe, so it's up to me doing my best not to get burned by the flame.

Gassho,
      Francesca

Comment

• berrykat
        • Apr 2009

yes during the weekly sit. I guess we are the moths and also the ones that tighten the screens. I finished the 4 hour zazenkai last night, -gasho =Andrea

Comment

• Shujin
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Feb 2010

....glad someone asked about this. I figured my computer was screwing up again. That, or I was going crazy. Either scenario is equally likely.

gassho,
          Chris
          Kyōdō Shujin 教道 守仁

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by TwoDots
            ....glad someone asked about this. I figured my computer was screwing up again. That, or I was going crazy. Either scenario is equally likely.

gassho,
            Chris
            Not to mention the SIZE of some of the moths they have here in Japan ...

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Manatee
              • Nov 2009

Hi all,

Just another thought-- moths don't seem to be as attracted to red light bulbs. Of course that would give the zendo a whole new kind of look-- maybe not one you would like!

Manatee

Comment

Working...