• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taigu
    Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
    • Aug 2008

Jundo's latest vid

Hi all,

Just a kind of thing I am picking up...The latest vid from Jundo about the need to give is, in my eyes, spot on. He says "perhaps", Jundo is very kind and mild.
    Let me be a bit more straight forward and direct than usual: in this community, a lot of people love receiving support, advice, guidance, teachings, and it's all free! It is all free because we want it to be free and we get our income another way.

Very few comments on this vid. In fact we like to take and not to give, don't we all?

Well guys, blablabla and koans and this and that are about the wondrous and humble Boddhistava activity. I don't give a s... about your mastering of the subtle Buddhist philosophy, the fact that you can talk the talk... I really mind about how it translates in your life, your hands and the way you use what is in your pocket. We don't want it in our pockets, it is not for Jundo or Taigu: the world needs your action, your deeds.

I wrote this on another thread:

Hi all,

Wading through threads are hard to follow. For practical purposes, maybe a new thread for rakusu n00bies where we can go and ask a question(s) or a simple pdf/txt file with a beginner's how-to for the rakusu.
    or

...maybe we can have a live web feed where folks can follow a rakusu sewing class...step by step?
    Thank you for your interesting suggestions. I kind of understand the difficulties of starting sewing: I was not born with a needle in my hands...
    It is part of the process to meet resistance, not the lack of help or inadequate wording or instructions of teachers, but our OWN resistance which is a byproduct of our beliefs. No live classes, or ready-made thread will do. Maybe, I should also buy a plane ticket and come to you to show you how to do it :wink: ???

These days, people get it too easy. In a not so distant past, wading through mountains, walking weeks and months, begging food and bowing in the mud had to be done and experienced to sew a single kesa and study with a teacher.

We are obviously too addicted to a mouse click.

That's all I have to say. It is a very good test at the very gate of our true self.

So...just get on with it
    Please, time to do some work in the community and help in many ways, including with your green energy ( money)

gassho

Taigu
  • Shohei
    • Oct 2007

Re: Jundo's latest vid

Gassho

Shohei

Comment

• dumm
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Taigu
      Let me be a bit more straight forward and direct than usual:
      Much appreciated.

Gassho,
      Dave

Comment

• Jinyu
        • May 2009

Thank you for leading us the in the path of humility!

Deep bows,
        Luis-Jinyu
        Jinyu aka Luis aka Silly guy from Brussels

Comment

• Tb
          • Jan 2008

Hi.

Please, time to do some work in the community and help in many ways, including with your green energy ( money)
          Yes, very true.
          Always time.
          Always here.

Mtfbwy
          Fugen
          Life is our temple and its all good practice
          Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ghop
            • Jan 2010

I don't give a s... about your mastering of the subtle Buddhist philosophy, the fact that you can talk the talk... I really mind about how it translates in your life, your hands and the way you use what is in your pocket.
            Thanks for this "finger pointing" at my face! I needed the nudge.

gassho

Comment

• Jaana
              • Jun 2010

I for one appreciate your straight-forwardness! Thank you.

Comment

• Silva
                • May 2010

Merci Taigu,

gassho,

Sylvie
                "...the bell's melodious sound continues to resonate as it echoes, endlessly before and after. "
                Eihei Dogen

Comment

• chicanobudista
                  • Mar 2008

Since my post in another thread was quoted on this OP and not mentioned by name, here is my response:

Is not being addictive or not addictive.
                  Or walking through mud or not through mud.
                  I don't have any resistance to do it.
                  I'll send y'all a napkin if I have to.
                  But. You are not asking for a napkin and y'all have a set of videos on how to do a rakusu which means you want to do a rakusu.

All I'm asking is for help and giving you a suggestion.

You can say, Yes. You can say, No. You can say, Maybe.

You see too much into my humble words.

Maybe, I should also buy a plane ticket and come to you to show you how to do it ???
                  Sure. Why not? We are numberless, right? :twisted:
                  paz,
                  Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• Dosho
                    • Jun 2008

Thank you Sensei...I forget far too easily. ops:

Gassho,
                    Dosho

Comment

• anista
                      • Dec 2009

Well guys, blablabla and koans and this and that are about the wondrous and humble Boddhistava activity. I don't give a s... about your mastering of the subtle Buddhist philosophy, the fact that you can talk the talk... I really mind about how it translates in your life, your hands and the way you use what is in your pocket.
                      Taigu,

I am sure I am the only one who see it this way, but I think your words in your post are far from humble, and rather a bit unnecessary aggressive. I get the point you are making though, and I have no problem with that - it's a valid point.

I am sorry if this is an overreaction. I am sorry if I have caused any offense. Feel free to disregard this post if you want.

Respectfully,

Philip
                      The mind does not know itself; the mind does not see itself
                      The mind that fabricates perceptions is false; the mind without perceptions is nirv??a

Comment

• Taigu
                        • Aug 2008

Hi Philip, indeed. No offence taken. I have no problem seeing how agressive and arrogant I can sometimes be. Thank you for the reminder. And also, thank you for understanding how valid my point is.
                        If you read my post again, the mild swearing I use (hi Stephanie :wink: :lol: ) shows how much I care about you guys as it is my responsability to make sure you are walking the walk and not just eating your way through articles, books and sewing ideas in mid air.

Hi Chicanobudista, I should have mentioned your name. Sorry. In your answer,don't you see resistance? And by the way, who wants to sew a rakusu? Jukai means putting all your energy into this. You are the one willing to take the precepts, aren't you? Meeting one's resistance and facing one's own arrogance, habit and thinking patterns[/b] is part an parcel of the experience of sewing. I don't know about Jundo, but I don't want to make things too easy. You are not the only one facing this kind of issue. Almost everybody does. And sorry about this, I won't be your guy teaching you live on skype how to sew...And let me add this, these videos are well made after all , once you really put your energy into it, listen to what is said, ask a few tips along to one of us, do your homework and overcome your natural resistance to the process, you will end up with a rakusu on your lap like everybody else who went through this journey eventualy did.

gassho

Taigu

Comment

• chicanobudista
                          • Mar 2008

Hi Chicanobudista, I should have mentioned your name. Sorry. In your answer,don't you see resistance? And by the way, who wants to sew a rakusu? Jukai means putting all your energy into this. You are the one willing to take the precepts, aren't you? Meeting one's resistance and facing one's own arrogance, habit and thinking patterns[/b] is part an parcel of the experience of sewing. I don't know about Jundo, but I don't want to make things too easy. You are not the only one facing this kind of issue. Almost everybody does. And sorry about this, I won't be your guy teaching you live on skype how to sew...And let me add this, these videos are well made after all , once you really put your energy into it, listen to what is said, ask a few tips along to one of us, do your homework and overcome your natural resistance to the process, you will end up with a rakusu on your lap like everybody else who went through this journey eventualy did.

Oh. Of course resistance is there as long as there something new or "hard" to do. I work with farmworker youth who have dropped out of high school. They come to our program for three months for training on General Educational Development diploma, GED. GED is a battery of five tests that if passed will give them an equivalent of a High School diploma. On the first day, most if not all come with resistance. "Why am I here?" "This is too hard!" "Math!? Agh!" They all come like this day after day. But. They also get resistance from teachers. "Oh. They want it easy." "Bah. They don't want to learn." "They are too lazy!". BUT. We come together. Day in. Day out. Day in. Day out. Sometimes it feels easy. Sometimes it feels hard. The students see the resistance, but they say "I am wiling to work even with fear." "Ok. Let's sit. Let me teach you." Resistance is there. But it's overcomed once we talk See where each stands and what we need to do to move from that position of resistance. After a three months, youth who had barely finised 8th or 9th grade, are able to pass test that are meant for 11th graders. This reminded me of the adult classes where I used to volunteer where I would see middle age men learn to write their first letters. Resistance to show that you don't know, but .....willing to put pencil to paper. A. E.O.I. U. Apple. Bee, Cow, ...

So. Of course, I see my own resistance. But. Like my youth, I am here. With books tucked in my arms, here at the Treeleaf Zendo school desk. Videos are good, but a live person is better to ask. Maybe you are resistant to use skype and your time limited. This is fine. We all have limits like I do. So. Someone else can come to my desk and teach me. Here I am. Books. Pencil. A.B.C.D...Opera.Pear.Rakusu.

PS....sewing circle anyone?
                          paz,
                          Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• Risho
                            • May 2010

I completely agree with this post.

I want to say personally to you both how much I appreciate your time not only in responding to posts regularly and answering them thoroughly but your sharing of the Dharma on the videos. I've never met you, yet you both answer my questions promptly and sincerely, and I cannot express how thankful I am for that.

Second, in terms of the point made "in this community, a lot of people love receiving support, advice, guidance, teachings,"

From my own perspective, I came out of the gate posting on this forum asking a lot of questions.... my questions are endless. I think that is part of the delusion.. my delusion personally at least. I need the answer, just this next answer or this next book to add to my intellectual collection because then I'll have all the answers, and will live happily ever after.

It's the endless circle of Dukkha now with a "Buddhist" stamp to make it seem like less BS and more real/more spiritual, but it's a stealthy trick of my ego.

In the end, all of the intellectualizations are meaningless without the actualization of the Dharma in my life.
                            Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Taigu
                              • Aug 2008

Hi Chicanobudista,

I feel sad when people fail to listen...You are pointing at living mountains and they are stuck in the map. You tell them how great it is to walk in the wilderness, and they all they want is a schoolteacher and a dry bench. Even with a teacher by your side, you would struggle. You may go and find out there a teacher and a group of people sewing, you won't escape the very experience I am talking about. The power of conditionning lasts long. You fail to see that part of my teaching is precisely to let you be out, to taste what it is like to not know where to go and go anyway. In a way, you don't want to learn sewing as I teach it.

I feel sad when people fail to listen.

gassho

Taigu

Comment

Working...