Buddhist Basics for Zen

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randori

Re: Buddhist Basics for Zen

Thanks to all of you for making things more clear for me. I´ll just review my favorite german language book on buddhist philosophy and history and try to see it with different eyes than when I was 18. And of course I´ll keep on sitting. The show will go on.

Comment

• Hans
      • Mar 2007

Hey Randori,

Schumann's book is truly great in that it manages to give a truly comprehensive overview of this umbrella term called "buddhism". Highly recommended! Obviously being comprehensive also entails not being extremely detailed at all times...but especially for people trying to find some kind of neutral orientation that doesn't just want to sell a particular Buddhist tradition, this book is great!

Gassho,

Hans

Comment

• Stephanie

Steve Hagen's Buddhism Plain and Simple is an excellent reading of early Buddhist teachings (Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path, etc.) from a Soto Zen perspective. His explication of Dependent Co-Arising is the first one I've ever read that made total sense to me.

I find that the Buddhist teachings are like a tapestry... or perhaps a better metaphor would be like a symphony. Each instrument, each line, contributes to the beautiful sound we hear when we are able to experience reality as it is. Certain teachings "float up" for me from time to time, like the refrain of a song or the line of a poem. Certain things I studied before that never made sense suddenly, one day, are perfectly clear. I love this aspect of the path, it's like watching the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle fit together. Perhaps not entirely necessary for waking up, but a wonderful way of marking the journey, recognizing the path even as we walk on it.

The Four Noble Truths are big. Especially the first one!! Dependent Co-Arising is another one. The Four Divine Abodes (equanimity, compassion, sympathetic joy, loving-kindness). The Four Foundations of Mindfulness (awareness of bodily sensation, awareness of feelings, awareness of content of mind, awareness of mind). The Three Marks of Existence (impermanence, dukkha, non-self).

Comment

• Grizzly
          • Mar 2010

You beat me to it Stephanie.
          Was going to recommend Hagen.
          There are also huge numbers of free dharma talks littered across the web..think I've got some by Hagen saved somewhere too so you could find them as an introduction as well.
          Easy to find all this with a few simple searches so I wont list all the sites.
          Rich

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

A couple of books in English for people who want to go a bit deeper into the history of Buddhist philosophies. Both are by Prof. Paul Williams. Although quite detailed, the books are still surveys for a general readership ...

Both are on our Treeleaf 'Suggested Book List' ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889

"Buddhist Thought, A Complete Introduction to the Indian Tradition" by Paul Williams and Anthony Tribe.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Thought- ... ap_title_0

Although meant as an introductory textbook, still wonderfully detailed ... although the writing is poor in places. I recommend this somewhat ahead of the also very popular "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula and "History of Buddhist Philosophy: Continuities and Discontinuities " David Kalipahana, for both readability and the presence of less of a personal religious ideology that tends to cloud the impartiality of those other books.

"Mahayana Buddhism, The Doctrinal Foundations" by Paul Williams.

This recently came out in a new edition (2008 ... which I have not read yet) with some changes based on the latest research in the field. The older edition, however, is a wonderful introduction to the "Great Vehicle" of which Chan/Zen is part.

New 2nd edition (2008):
            http://www.amazon.com/Mahayana-Buddhism ... 058&sr=1-1

The 1989 edition is the older version.

For a great general survey of all the Zen streams presently found in the West (although the book is a bit too centered on North America) ...

"Zen Master Who?" by James Ford, telling the story of the various Zen Lineages in the West, and their different emphasiseses and flavors. ( Look for Jundo Cohen on page 140! plug plug 8) ). Highly recommended.

Again, at a certain point in this practice, it is very helpful and useful to have some understanding of the history and development of "Buddhist ideas" (and "non-ideas") and teachings. However, one must not become trapped in the ideas or a prisoner of philosophizing. It is the difference, for example, between reading about the history and development of the game of baseball ("cricket" for our UK readers ) ... and actually getting out there and picking up a bat.

By the way, for comparison of cheapest new/used books prices shipped internationally (prices quoted include international shipping rates), I often recommend this resource ...

http://www.bookfinder.com/

Gassho, J
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• will
              • Jun 2007

The Forms (Gassho, bow, Zazen, Kinhin, Chant)

Compassion

Sincerity

All make up a practice that is about Buddha, not about you.

Of course, all of these things arise whether we intend them or not (usually when not).

Playing in the open air
              Sitting with the Sun
              Not thinking of one thing
              As flowers bloom
              And the fragrance spreads everywhere
              This is practice
              This is so intimate
              This is all that we need

Don't mistake the hand for the moon,
              Don't agree to disagree,
              Try not to try,
              Enjoy
              Enjoy what?
              Just Enjoy

_/_
              [size=85:z6oilzbt]
              To save all sentient beings, though beings are numberless.
              To penetrate reality, though reality is boundless.
              To transform all delusion, though delusions are immeasurable.
              To attain the enlightened way, a way non-attainable.
              [/size:z6oilzbt]

Comment

• CraigfromAz
                • May 2010

Originally posted by will
                Playing in the open air
                Sitting with the Sun
                Not thinking of one thing
                As flowers bloom
                And the fragrance spreads everywhere
                This is practice
                This is so intimate
                This is all that we need

_/_
                I love this! I was having a dukkha day (on a holiday weekend, no less - expectations probably being part of the problem!), when I walked down to the park and just sat in the sun, not thinking, hearing the birds, feeling the breeze. And came back and read this post. All is good again!

Thanks for the poetry,

Craig

Comment

• mr.Lou
                  • Apr 2012

This thread has been exceptionally helpful. I appreciate the discussion, contributions and suggestions.
                  thank you
                  -Lou Sat Today

Comment

• Jundo
                    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                    • Apr 2006

Hi Lou,

Oh my Buddha, you dug up a "Golden Oldie" thread from awhile back.

Let me add that, since that time, we have added a few things to help with the "basics" ...

First, of course, there is A SERIES OF TALKS FOR NEW FOLKS on the basics of Shikantaza as we sit that (and Shikantaza sits us and everything) around here. It is a good thread for all "new folks", and even "new folks" who are ancient might look at it from time to time.

Next, there is a series on Buddha-Basics, a quick introduction to such topics as the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, Emptiness and all the good stuff (and stuffless) ... a very basic introduction in understanding some fundamentals of Buddhist Practice ...

... plus some other little talks on Bodhisattva-Basics that introduce the warm and wise Heart of this Way ...

If you need more on "how to" Shikantaza, have a look here ...
                    Important guidance and instructions on the practice of Shikantaza Zazen, for beginners new and old.

And, as mentioned, there is our SUGGESTED BOOK LIST for further reading (with books suggested for new folks marked with **), and soon to be expanded to include recommended online resources, podcasts and the like ...
                    Hi, The following is a recommended book list for our Sangha. It covers a variety of works on Zen, life, “Just Sitting” Shikantaza Zazen, Master Dogen and Buddhism in general. Thank you to all who provided input, and the list is still open to new suggestions and additions. Please email or PM me (Jundo) with any

Last but not least (beyond last or least), we are about to release a pamphlet with basic instructions for newcomers on sitting Zazen, such as various non-postures, preparing the sitting place, Zafus and such. It is a little delayed as we take the photos it will include (Dokan is our model), but I should be able to post that here in a few days.

Gassho, Jundo
                    Last edited by Jundo; 09-27-2012, 12:39 AM.
                    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Koshin
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Jundo
                      Hi Lou,

Last but not least (beyond last or least), we are about to release a pamphlet with basic instructions for newcomers on sitting Zazen, such as various non-postures, preparing the sitting place, Zafus and such. It is a little delayed as we take the photos it will include (Dokan is our model), but I should be able to post that here in a few days.

Gassho, Jundo

Great

Gassho
                      Thank you for your practice

Comment

Working...