Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: Reinkarnation and Buddhism...

Originally posted by Fugen
    Originally posted by Jundo
    Originally posted by disastermouse

Well - I mean - we can't really erase rebirth from the Buddhist Cannon and still call it Buddhism - but whether you feel it is true or not - wouldn't the same basic practices apply? The same precepts? The same ethics? Right View? Right Livelihood?

Chet
    Yes, that is what I believe and try to practice.
    Hi.

Quite so.
    What I'd liketo add is "When this happens do this, when that happens do that" and let the rest take care of itself.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Well, all the Precepts come down, for me, to seeking as we can not to harm self and others, and act in ways healthful and helpful to self and others (self and others, not two). Do that now in this life, and I think the good Karma will flow (and, if there is a God, perhaps she will not be displeased with that either). What the effects are of that Karma after we die, well, I will entrust the universe with that mystery.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Eika
      • Sep 2007

Re: Reinkarnation and Buddhism...

Originally posted by Jundo

PS - I am engaged in something of a debate on this over at ZFI. I reject as likely the product of someone's imagination, and as not central to our practice, overly literal and detailed "mechanisms" of rebirth found in much Buddhist literature. It may be so, but I think not. In any case, it has little impact on my practice here and now ... and what comes will come.
      Like most other religious belief systems, Buddhism is not immune from superstition and trying to answer questions that are beyond the present scope of our knowledge. I don't fault ancient writers for dreaming up scenarios about what happens to us after death; however, I think all such talk is speculation and wishful thinking . . . the metaphorical significance of those teachings is very valuable, IF people avoid the fundamentalist trap of taking every word ever written by a past "master" as the literal truth. "Be lights unto yourselves . . ." and all that.

Peace and gassho,
      Eika

PS--Sorry I haven't been posting much lately, but my work has been crazy, crazy busy. I hope I can participate a bit more in the near future.
      [size=150:m8cet5u6]??[/size:m8cet5u6] We are involved in a life that passes understanding and our highest business is our daily life---John Cage

Comment

Working...