Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bayamo
    • Nov 2009

Why do we sit/ teach instead of teach/sit

Thats one question I always wondered about. Why is it a sitting then listen to a teaching, instead of listen to a teaching, then sit?
    Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: Why do we sit/ teach instead of teach/sit

Originally posted by bayamo
    Thats one question I always wondered about. Why is it a sitting then listen to a teaching, instead of listen to a teaching, then sit?
    Hi Bayamo,

I am not sure I understand the question, but we can listen-sit, sit-listen, sit-sit and listen-listen. All are possible and fine.

Some teachers give a talk "during" Zazen, and I like that. However, Nishijima Roshi makes the point that the talk should be before or after Zazen ... as Zazen time is for Zazen. So, I no longer give a talk during sitting time.

However, in listening to the talk, we should try to bring the soft, open, vibrant, flexible mind of Shikantaza into our listening. So, not so different either way.

How to listen to a Zen talk, or read a writing? Master Dogen often spoke of "thinking non-thinking", which rather means that the open, spacious, clear mind of Zazen should be seen behind/in/as/through/illiminating/one with the words.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• bayamo
      • Nov 2009

Re: Why do we sit/ teach instead of teach/sit

Thanks Jundo, you answered..
      I noticed on the web, many times a talk followed a a sitting.. I always wondered if it was a "set rule"..
      thanks again..
      Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
      Carl Carlson

Comment

Working...