TREELEAF SANGHA online 2-DAY ANGO-JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT -- 2023 -- MAIN PAGE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doshin
    • May 2015

I am always amazed at all the work the Bodhisattva Wizards do behind the curtain of our Sangha to create an online retreat. They are a great group of people doing this to provide us a place to practice. When I look at the turmoil in the world my heart is lifted watching these acts of kindness and generosity.

Doshin
    Stlah

Comment

• Do Mi
      • Apr 2023

It was most wonderful to sit with you all. I'm so grateful to be able to do intensive practice at home, adjusting the schedule for my body's needs (and learning more about what I am able to do), to continue my household and pet care tasks with the least burden on my household. So much gratitude for all who made this happen, the tech wizards, the deep wise dharma talks, the thoughtful thorough advice on preparation and ways of practicing at home...

I'm still processing the experience and will share more!

Many gasshos,

Do Mi
      sat and lah

Comment

• Do Mi
        • Apr 2023

Here's a question from a relative beginner. I'm feeling a sense of disconnect as I transition back into my regular life. The deep openings I felt during rohatsu are stlil there, I'm happy to be interacting with my partner and doing my work, but I also feel disconnected from both. Does anyone else experience this? Tips for practicing with it?

Gassho,

Do Mi
        sat and lah

Comment

• Tokan
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Oct 2016

Well done everyone!

My internet connection has been restored so I will now be able to sit the 'offline' version of rohatsu.

For my part, moving house has been my 'dedicated practice' and having no internet for a week part of my 'inner reflection.'
          Everything this week has been simple - cooking in one pan, eating out of one bowl, no books, internet, TV or other distractions, just the practice of moving house and caring for my family.
          Not as much zazen as I would have liked to sit, but to be fair to my spouse, I couldn't justify several hours of zazen when she's going hell for leather unpacking.
          Still, much of my packing - moving - unpacking has been done in the way I imagine unsui cleaning the sodo hall or weeding the garden, complete with 'in the moment' gathas.

So while I have yet to sit the rohatsu with the rest of you, I was with you in spirit, and I tried to express my house moving in a way consistent with the heart and spirit of rohatsu.

Gassho and nine bows to the sangha.

Tokan

satlah
          平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
          I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Do Mi
            Here's a question from a relative beginner. I'm feeling a sense of disconnect as I transition back into my regular life. The deep openings I felt during rohatsu are stlil there, I'm happy to be interacting with my partner and doing my work, but I also feel disconnected from both. Does anyone else experience this? Tips for practicing with it?

Gassho,

Do Mi
            sat and lah
            Oh, this is the heart of our practice. It is possible to sometimes get a Zazen or Retreat "high," and to want it to linger.

Yesterday, after our Retreat, was the most glorious fall day here in Ibaraki, the sun was shining, I went for a stroll near our Lake Kasumigaura, checked out a 1500 year old burial tumulus ...

Today, however, is colder and wet, the skies are dull and gray. My knees ache, there is laundry to do.

Is not the same boundless open clear sky present both days, seen or unseen? Must I always experience the sky to know the sky's presence?

I suppose that, in the 1500 years that the old tomb has rested on the shores of Lake Kasumigaura, and the 6000 years that the lake has been cut off from the sea and been a lake, that many changing skies have been witnessed by both. Nonetheless, the sky and sun are the same sky and sun.

Here is the old tomb, the "Fujimizuka Kofun" ...

Gassho, J

stlah

Gassho, J
            Last edited by Jundo; 12-05-2023, 12:53 AM.
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Chikyou
              • May 2022

Originally posted by Do Mi

Gassho,

Do Mi
              sat and lah
              Yes. I actually take the day after Rohatsu off work so I have time to get back in my groove.

So far I have been handling it by just going back to my usual routine (well, my weekend routine) immediately afterwards. Watch some TV for instance. Usually a good night's sleep fixes me right up too.

I see it as one of those "not a big deal, but something to be aware of" things so I avoid being in a situation where it would be actively detrimental (like going straight back to work the next day).

Sorry for running long

Gassho,
              SatLah
              Kelly
              Chikyō 知鏡
              (KellyLM)

Comment

• Kokuu
                Treeleaf Priest
                • Nov 2012

As others have said, this is really normal and I have been on a number of retreats which talk about re-engaging with your everyday life post-retreat and expecting some degree of adjustment but not to worry as it is just a period of transition.

It is, however, interesting to me, just how open we can feel after just two days of sesshin.

Gassho
                Kokuu
                -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Shonin Risa Bear
                  • Apr 2019

Yes, I've had this with a 5-day but this was the first time I noticed it with a 2-day. Felt like coming home with eyes dilated after a visit to the optometrist, or like (I imagine) a fish thrown up by a wave onto the cobbled beach. This lasted about three hours; wow.

gassho
                  ds sat/lah with maybe a little less intensity today

What a seat!
                  In the evening Jupiter, bright, resplendent.
                  In the morning Venus, resplendent, bright.
                  Last edited by Shonin Risa Bear; 12-05-2023, 07:26 PM.
                  Visiting priest: use salt

Comment

• Do Mi
                    • Apr 2023

Thank you so much, everyone. I am feeling more grounded. And even if I wasn't, that would be the practice, right?

Gassho,

Do Mi
                    sat and lah

Comment

Working...