Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murasaki
    • Mar 2009

Re: handy with a needle and thread

The form of the kesa appears to have commonality with the sari (saree). I am somewhat of a collector of sari, and I know something about their history. In Hindu culture, piercing clothes with needles was considered "impure", so clothes were unstitched and draped. (The choli, or blouse, is a stitched item worn with the sari but was invented later when Muslim and British influences demanded more modesty.) Could this possibly have carried over into Buddhism?
    gassho
    Julia
    "The Girl Dragon Demon", the random Buddhist name generator calls me....you have been warned.

Feed your good wolf.

Comment

• Nindo

I just bought a sewing machine and was searching around for samue patterns. Look what an interesting thread Google came back with
      The Kwan Um link has moved and is now at

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Nindo
        I just bought a sewing machine and was searching around for samue patterns. Look what an interesting thread Google came back with
        The Kwan Um link has moved and is now at
        http://www.kwanumzen.org/wp-content/...acher-robe.pdf
        Just a comment that the link is not to a Samue, but to a Dharma Teacher's robe in Korean style. Samue literally means "work clothes", and are usually pants to do physical labor around the temple (sweeping, cooking) ... not really for sitting, although many people in the West sit in them.

But the usage has changed in the West, so I sometimes sit in a kind of Samue for Zazen too.

Whether one should sit in a Korean Teacher's robe? ... well, hmmm. As a priest, I sit in Japanese Soto style robes simply out of respect for roots and tradition. Sometimes at home I sit in a t-shirt and shorts. Nothing important, though, about whether one's robes are from Tokyo, Seoul or a polyester skirt from New Jersey! In our Sangha, one does not need to dress like an ancient Asian person to sit Zazen. Any loose fitting, dark colored clothing is fine. (That's why blue jeans and tight slacks should be avoided, as they can constrict the legs. However, no reason one has to dress in "Zen Robes").

Heck, the Buddha originally said that we should just grab some old rags from the dump, wash em and sew em together!

The Kesa/Rakusu is another story, as we place significance on that for what it represents. However, the clothing worn under it ... well, no need to "dress Zen" to Practice Zen. It is not about appearances on the outside, and nothing about needing to "dress for success". 8)

Gassho, J
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Al
          • May 2007

Does anyone have a good source to buy samue? I've looked at them online but they all seem so expensive.

Edit: Also, just bought some black scrubs for this purpose and they seem like a good, inexpensive alternative.
          Gassho _/\_

brokenpine.tumblr.com

Comment

• Emmet
            • Nov 2011

Some of us wear robes; some don't. It's considered a matter of personal preference, and elicits very little comment. I prefer to, for the following reasons. When in kinhin, it's a courtesy to the person walking behind me; I offer nothing visually for the mind to grasp hold of (outside of the zendo, I'm a big fan of tie-dye and Hawaiian shirts). When I remove my street clothes and don my robe & rakuzu, it ritually reflects (and in my experience, assists) my renunciation of distractions and attachments; as my lay clothing falls away, I'm mindful of my sincere desire for the falling away of body and mind. When donning my robe and rakuzu, I'm mindful of being an integral part of a lineage tradition stretching back not only to the Clear Water, Wind Horse, and Rochester Zen Centers of roshi Philip Kapleau, but also Yasutani roshi's San-un Zendo, D?gens Eiheiji temple, and beyond; in my rakuzu, I see Ananda walking the dikes of the rice paddies. Donning my rakuzu and reciting the Verse of the Kesa, once again I take refuge; I am home.

Oh yeah; it's also quite comfortable for sitting for long stretches; it doesn't bind anywhere.
            I wear the same robe as everyone else, in the "Rochester Zen Center style" from Endless Knot. I'd like to make my own some day, but currently simply don't have time.
            Emmet

Comment

• Dokan
              Friend of Treeleaf
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Shinkai
              Does anyone have a good source to buy samue? I've looked at them online but they all seem so expensive.

Edit: Also, just bought some black scrubs for this purpose and they seem like a good, inexpensive alternative.
              Did you ever find anything for this Shinkai? I just bought one from Ziji.com for $150...I'm hoping my wife (who is a wiz with the sewing machine) can maybe copy the pattern.

Been scouring the internet looking for a pattern.

Gassho,

Dokan
              We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
              ~Anaïs Nin

Comment

• Hans
                • Mar 2007

Hello,

I bought a more or less traditional samue outfit...and was shocked to see that it was 90% the same as a standard Karate Gi (which are very light in comparison to a Judo Gi). So unless you are planning on living at Eiheiji for a few months, my advice would be to find a decent cotton Karate Gi and just order it in a traditional colour. That will save you loads of money. Just my two cents.

All the best and Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Comment

• Dokan
                  Friend of Treeleaf
                  • Dec 2010

Wow yes, I just noticed that they have some very light ones (7oz/200g) for only $16!.

Well I have one on the way so I'll see if Mrsedwards can copy cat it...then we will open a storefront on Amazon. Don't worry though, we'll give Treeleafers a 5% discount. :twisted:

Gassho,

Dokan
                  We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
                  ~Anaïs Nin

Comment

Working...