Alternating sense awareness as Shikantaza

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mokuso
    • Mar 2020

It is not Shikantaza. It is more and almost fully like vipassana. There are different exercises within vipassana, that you focus on different shakras in the body. And then as you describe; focus of mind.
    I practiced these many years ago, before I got hooked on Soto zen and Shikantaza.

For me Shikantaza is the best. Sitting in stillness, not focusing on anything in particular, but just being a part of everything around without any demands or performance. In my opinion, it is only when you really reach into yourself and experience life and everything around you as it really is.

But I think everyone feels difficulties in one way or another sometimes in their practice in Shikantaza. But that's how it is with everything in life. I usually focus on exhalation and count to 10, the times It feels difficult with Shikantaza.
    It's just sitting. Without any performance. No one Shikantazas are the same. No two days are alike. It's just sitting. I don't want a life without Shikantaza.

But in philosophy and everyday thinking, Zen fits with vipassana. To be aware in every moment of what is happening. But the meditation practice separates them.

Hope you find what is right for you!

Gassho. Mokuso

Comment

Working...