X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onsho
    • Aug 2022

Giving away my karma

Hello darlings.

Im currently reading Old Path White Clouds. Its a large collection of stories about the Buddha, all from the sutras that are retold in a lovely story by Thich Naht Hanh. In one story, a disciple of the Buddah gives away his karma to his deceased mother... and im very compelled by this.

Is that a thing? And if it is, how do I do it?

Gassho
    Keith
    Sat
  • Shokai
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Mar 2009

By talking to your spirit guide??

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Koushi
      Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer
      • Apr 2015

I’ve not heard of transferring karma… that seems to go against many things.

There’s the concept of pattidana/Ekō, however, where one can transfer merit, which is different than karma, usually to the departed ancestors/relatives but can be extended to all sentient beings.

I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable to me. Very interesting question.

Gassho,
      Koushi
      STLaH
      理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Onsho
        • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Shokai
        By talking to your spirit guide??

gassho, Shokai
        stlah
        Im sorry, but I don't understand what your trying to tell me. Would you elaborate?

Gassho
        Keith
        Sat

Comment

• Onsho
          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Koushi
          I’ve not heard of transferring karma… that seems to go against many things.

There’s the concept of pattidana/Ekō, however, where one can transfer merit, which is different than karma, usually to the departed ancestors/relatives but can be extended to all sentient beings.

I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable to me. Very interesting question.

Gassho,
          Koushi
          STLaH
          Yes! This sounds like the concept. Thanks to much for chiming in. This will be my next little research project.

Gassho
          Keith
          Sat

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Keith
            Hello darlings.

Im currently reading Old Path White Clouds. Its a large collection of stories about the Buddha, all from the sutras that are retold in a lovely story by Thich Naht Hanh. In one story, a disciple of the Buddah gives away his karma to his deceased mother... and im very compelled by this.

Is that a thing? And if it is, how do I do it?

Gassho
            Keith
            Sat
            In fact, we Mahayana Buddhist should "give away" and dedicate --ALL-- the merit of our good Karmic acts to others, and thus, for example, every Zen ceremony has an "Eko" (Dedication) recitation dedicating the merit of that ceremony or practice to others. You do not need to "do" anything really in order to achieve that, except to wish so in one's heart. The words of the "Eko" simply express that wish.

A "win win win" reverse triple "pay-off" of doing so, by the way, is that the "donor" traditionally thus gets a "double-triple reward" ... both the effects of the "good Karma" acts which are donated, but yet are somehow also kept too PLUS EXTRA "good karmic points" for the good act of donating!! That's on top of the donee benefitting too! All these "karmic points" are traditionally said to eventually manifest in good effects, either in this life or in a future life (in this case, both for donor and donee).

For someone like me who is less a "literalist" on all this Karmic accounting, I still believe that our good acts in life generally tend to have good effects, both for ourselves and others who are touched by our acts (sadly, our bad acts all tend to hurt others and us too.) "Dedicating" to others is still a good thing, even if not literally so, because it keeps us thinking of others, trying to help others, and less selfish for ourself.

Here, let me dedicated this:

"May the merit of having written the above benefit all sentient beings everywhere."

Gassho, J

stlah

PS - By talking to your spirit guide?? - I bet old Shokai just meant that he is not such a literalist on these things either.
            Last edited by Jundo; 03-19-2023, 03:31 AM.
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Onsho
              • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Jundo
              In fact, we Mahayana Buddhist should "give away" and dedicate --ALL-- the merit of our good Karmic acts to others, and thus, for example, every Zen ceremony has an "Eko" (Dedication) recitation dedicating the merit of that ceremony or practice to others. You do not need to "do" anything really in order to achieve that, except to wish so in one's heart. The words of the "Eko" simply express that wish.

A "win win win" reverse triple "pay-off" of doing so, by the way, is that the "donor" traditionally thus gets a "double-triple reward" ... both the effects of the "good Karma" acts which are donated, but yet are somehow also kept too PLUS EXTRA "good karmic points" for the good act of donating!! That's on top of the donee benefitting too! All these "karmic points" are traditionally said to eventually manifest in good effects, either in this life or in a future life (in this case, both for donor and donee).

For someone like me who is less a "literalist" on all this Karmic accounting, I still believe that our good acts in life generally tend to have good effects, both for ourselves and others who are touched by our acts (sadly, our bad acts all tend to hurt others and us too.) "Dedicating" to others is still a good thing, even if not literally so, because it keeps us thinking of others, trying to help others, and less selfish for ourself.

Here, let me dedicated this:

"May the merit of having written the above benefit all sentient beings everywhere."

Gassho, J

stlah

PS - By talking to your spirit guide?? - I bet old Shokai just meant that he is not such a literalist on these things either.

Thanks Roshi.
              I can now mindfully and shamelessly launder my merit.

Gassho
              Keith
              Sat

Comment

• aprapti
                • Jun 2017

This is the way i see karma too.

thanks Keith for the question ( i am sure "giving" all of us something to think about will have merit ) and thank you, Jundo for the answer (same ).

[emoji1374] aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Comment

• Bion
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Aug 2020

Giving away my karma

To me, it’s a wonderful idea to say: “whatever deeds I did that are good, should they bear good fruit, let it benefit this person I love.” It’s very much in line with a bodhisattva’s attitude, which is to benefit others even at the expense of personal sacrifice. To me it’s more than a symbolic act. It’s an active commitment to put into practice that dedication to helping and supporting others. [emoji3526]

[emoji1374] Sat Today
                  Last edited by Bion; 03-19-2023, 01:29 PM.
                  "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Nengei
                    • Dec 2016

In some Hindu traditions there is a concept of transferring one's karma to another, for example, by touching their feet. Care must be exercised, though, because we don't get to choose what of our karma is transferred. I've always heard of it in the sense of foisting your negative karma over onto the other person.

Gassho,
                    Nengei
                    Sat today. LAH.
                    遜道念芸 Sondō Nengei (he/him)

Please excuse any indication that I am trying to teach anything. I am a priest in training and have no qualifications or credentials to teach Zen practice or the Dharma.

Comment

• Onsho
                      • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Bion
                      To me, it’s a wonderful idea to say: “whatever deeds I did that are good, should they bear good fruit, let it benefit this person I love.” It’s very much in line with a bodhisattva’s attitude, which is to benefit others even at the expense of personal sacrifice. To me it’s more than a symbolic act. It’s an active commitment to put into practice that dedication to helping and supporting others. [emoji3526]

[emoji1374] Sat Today

I really like that.
                      Thank you Bion.

Gassho
                      Keith
                      Sat

Comment

• Onsho
                        • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Nengei
                        In some Hindu traditions there is a concept of transferring one's karma to another, for example, by touching their feet. Care must be exercised, though, because we don't get to choose what of our karma is transferred. I've always heard of it in the sense of foisting your negative karma over onto the other person.

Gassho,
                        Nengei
                        Sat today. LAH.

That is VERY fascinating. Thank you for adding to the topic! Im getting lots of great info.

Gassho
                        Keith
                        Sat

Comment

• Rich
                          • Apr 2009

Read Old Path White clouds many years ago and really enjoyed it. I think his deceased mother is part of the whole, melted into the universe, with God. So giving his karma to his deceased mother could be a metaphor for turning his karma over to this universe because he has fully digested it and is finished with it and now he lives fully awake and enlightened

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          _/_
                          Rich
                          MUHYO
                          無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Tai Shi
                            • Oct 2014

Two books, to understand better Dogen, Jundo's book the Zen Master's Dance, and Zen Poetry by Lucien Stryk. My current book, as poet, is finished. I list the first 10 Grave Precepts, and show a progression from wife, mother and social worker to end with father and daughter, with Zen influence central. My wife is editing my book now, her experience, former newspaper editor, former Quality Control Officer for the US Veterans' Administration Comp. and Pension. The Title she approves, Children of Loving Kindness. Jundo, this is my single post today, Except one little poem in Poetry. I invite anyone to post a poem in Poetry.

Gassho
                            sat/lah

Gassho
                            Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• paulashby

Try observing and yes feeling how each time a person enters a room the energy of the room is
                              changed and literally is different. If a joyful co-worker comes in your office notice the shift. If they
                              depart and a co-worker in grief walks in you are now in a different room without moving an inch or
                              any object in the room. So we are always bringing-sharing-sending-throwing karma around. To do it
                              as a gift-blessing to others is wonderful.

Gassho,peace, Paul sat lah

Comment

Working...