Special Treeleaf Event: Myosho Kyle-Brown/Four Noble Truths of Challenge - March 19th

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Special Treeleaf Event: Myosho Kyle-Brown/Four Noble Truths of Challenge - March 19th

PLEASE CONFIRM NEW START TIMES BELOW ...

Dear All,

Our series continues, welcome to all, even if you have not been joining in our "No Words" Book Club readings!

Myosho Ann Kyle-Brown, Founder and head Teacher of Kumeido – The Mendocino Zen Center, will be visiting us on Sunday, March 19th, 9:00AM, California Time, to offer a netcast Talk and Chat about her essay ...

“The Four Noble Truths of Practice in Times of Challenge and Struggle”

... published in the book we are currently reading, "Zen Teachings in Challenging Times." The essay recounts the story of her path to Priesthood as a a mother of eight who steps slowly into a new life, as her children struggle, grow and the nest empties ...

More about Myosho:

Rev. Ann Myosho Kyle Brown is a Soto Zen Priest and disciple of Rev. Gengo Akiba Roshi, Japanese/Sotoshu Sokan (Bishop) for North America. ... She began Buddhist practice with Akiba Roshi in 1992 at Kojinan – The Oakland Zen Center. Her early training was at Aichi Senmon Nisodo in Nagoya, Japan with Reverend Aoyama Shundo Roshi. Further training took place at an International Ango (training Period) at Yokoji Zen Mountain Center in the San Jacinto Mountains of Southern California with Rev. Akiba Roshi, and training monks from Eiheiji, Sojiji and Aichi Senmon Nisodo. In addition, she has practiced extensively at Genjoji, the Sonoma Mountain Zen Center with Rev. Kwong Roshi as well as other retreat centers throughout California, the US, Europe and South America. Rev. Myosho went back to Japan in 2015 for the Zuise Ceremony at Eiheiji and Sojiji, the two main temples for Soto Zen in Japan. After zuise one becomes an Oshō, i.e. "priest" or "teacher." ... Rev. Myosho is also a writer, wife and mother.
    She writes in her essay:

The Second Noble Truth is that there is a cause of suffering. What is the cause?

Each of our children is a whole story. As I am. As you are. They took turns teetering on the outer edges of reality.

The eldest struggled with mental illness. Another flirted with an eating disorder. One used drugs. Another had fragile nerves and was dyslexic. One was a surly member of the Punk movement. The youngest had a genetic condition that made him look different than other people. What kind of people would have children like these? Our kind.

... At that moment, I was beset with worry for the one on drugs. She was also in trouble with the law. And she tried to kill herself. ... I was terrified. I was also confused, ashamed, desperate, embarrassed, angry, righteous, judgmental, blaming, sanctimonious, apologetic, frustrated, guilty and powerless. Nothing I did or said helped. Every conversation ended badly.

What do you do when you don't know what to do? My grandmother used to say, when in doubt, don't. So, I didn't. I sat.
    The event will last about an hour or 90 minutes, and will commence Sunday, March 19th, 9AM, California Time, which is New York noon, London 4pm and Paris 5pm, Sunday. It will also be recorded for later viewing. You can join Zoom here LIVE with camera and microphone so that we can see and hear you (however, "one way" live sitters who do not wish to be seen or to speak are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off or not connect them) all at the following link: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

It can also be viewed "one way" at the time, or later, at the following screen:

Even if you do not have the book, you can read a PDF version here from PAGE 46 (please consider to purchase the book if the remainder looks interesting to you):

Zen Teachings For Challenging Times - First Half (PDF DOWNLOAD LINK)

There will be a Q&A after her talk, at which you can either ask a LIVE question, or email me a question which I will read (email your question to Jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com)

I would really appreciate a BIG TREELEAF TURNOUT for this event, and I assure you that it will be worth your time to attend.

DONATION:
    The event is free, but we ask those who can afford to make a voluntary donation, whatever you might afford and feel's right, to Tenpyozan Monastery, at Myosho's suggestion, which is a Soto Zen Training Monastery that folks have been working to build in the US for several years:

Tenpyozan is an international Soto Zen practice center being built 3 hours north of San Francisco, in Lake County, California. Our mission is to support and encourage the international transmission of Soto Zen Buddhism by offering training for Soto Zen clergy and opportunities for formal practice, cultural and religious study, and community fellowship for both clergy and laity. We invite you to join us in building this vision.

Thank you.

Myosho's essay is also part of an AMAZING book which I cannot recommend highly enough to all, a very unique collection of short essays by a group of women Soto Teachers, focused on Zen Wisdom and Compassion applied to real life problems. The book deserves to be better known, and is not to be missed. We are currently reading and reflecting on it in our "No Words" book club (LINK)

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

tsuku.jpgtsuku1.jpgtsuku2.jpg
    Last edited by Bion; 05-14-2024, 03:50 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

Wonderful! Thank you for organising all of these talks, Jundo.

I believe that the UK time will be Pacific + 7, central Europe will be Pacific + 8.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Dear All,

This thread is now open, but please note that START TIME HAS CHANGED:

The event will last about an hour or 90 minutes, and will commence Sunday, March 19th, 9AM, California Time, which is New York noon, London 4pm and Paris 5pm, Saturday. It will also be recorded for later viewing.
      I hope to see many folks there.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Shujin
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Feb 2010

Looking forward to sitting with y'all on Sunday.

Gassho,
        Shujin

sat today
        Kyōdō Shujin 教道 守仁

Comment

• Kotei
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Mar 2015

Thank you for the opportunity to meet another wonderful teacher.
          Looking forward to it!

Gassho,
          Kotei sat/lah today.
          義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Naiko
            • Aug 2019

Thank you, Jundo. Rev. Myosho's story was very moving. Reflecting on both of our guests' teachings, "All Life Is Our Temple" is more than just a motto. It's a big teaching.
            Gashho,
            Naiko
            st lah

Comment

• Bion
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Aug 2020

This was a fantastic opportunity to learn and find inspiration. Myosho is a wonderful teacher. I shed plenty tears during that hour and a half [emoji1] Thank you!

[emoji1374] Sat Today lah
              "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Myosho
                • May 2020

Excellent teaching, Thank You.

Myosho
                (no books, no essay yet)

Sat lah

Comment

• Risho
                  • May 2010

Thank you!

risho
                  -stlah
                  Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• DanM
                    • Aug 2021

Really enjoyed this, thanks Jundo for organising it.

Gassho,
                    Dan
                    ST/LAH

Comment

• Houzan
                      • Dec 2022

Thank you for this. Beautiful poems and great talk.

Gassho, Michael
                      Satlah

Comment

• Onkai
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Aug 2015

Thank you! It was a wonderful talk.

Gassho,
                        Onkai
                        Sat lah
                        美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                        恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Washin
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Dec 2014

I enjoyed it very much. Thank you for making it possible

Gassho
                          Washin
                          stlah
                          Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                          Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                          ----
                          I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                          and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Tairin
                            • Feb 2016

Thank you for this talk and this teaching. I sat with you and listened to this talk today

Tairin
                            Sat today and lah
                            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

Working...