• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Sitting with Varicose Veins

Dear All,

I have been contacted by someone in our community, but don't know fully what to answer because it is more a general medical issue than a Zazen posture issue, and also, some of you might have more experience with this than I do. Of course, I told the person (who I said I would keep anonymous for now) to first consult with their doctor and do as the doctors say.

They wrote me this ...

Hello Jundo,

I have a question for you - I have existing varicose veins (I've had them since I was a teenager). I don't currently have any issues with them (other than looks!) but I am concerned about the future, especially about blood clots (thanks to American healthcare I'm pretty sure I can't get them dealt with until they actually cause a serious issue, which of course is too late ).

Have you heard of any issues with varicose veins and sitting posture? Any advice for preventing issues?

Thanks in advance.
    I wrote back about the following ...

HI,

I am not an expert on the medical condition, so first and foremost, talk to your doctor. I would imagine that there is no more issue with Zazen sitting than any sitting. If it is a problem, find a posture (e.g., chair) that does not put pressure on the bad places on the legs. Move about more. Walk kinhin more rather than just sitting.

I looked online quickly, but did not find much ... especially much that looked reliable from reputable places ...

Any advice or tips from anyone else dealing with this?

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-07-2023, 11:53 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Tokan
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Oct 2016

Hey Jundo

Well, I'm wondering how adept this person is at the various sitting positions. The issue I can see is whether a position of the legs particularly will lead to poor/reduced flow through the venous system. That would more likely lead to cramp and maybe swollen veins, which look worrying but not always medically dangerous. Sitting in any position that causes pain or discomfort, as you say, is not necessary for zazen. Nonetheless, I am not a doctor and there is not enough information available to give any really good medical advice except to suggest that they really should consult with their family doctor or vascular surgeon if they know one! I doubt they will be the first person to have this concern.

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

Working...