Is this the same as "Who am I?"

Too late, he's gone now.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• AlanLa
      • Mar 2008

Re: Who am I?

I find that the thought of who I am gets in the way of me being whatever I am.
      AL (Jigen) in:
      Faith/Trust
      Courage/Love
      Awareness/Action!

I sat today

Comment

• disastermouse

Originally posted by AlanLa
        I find that the thought of who I am gets in the way of me being whatever I am.
        How can you get in your own way?

More confusion.

Comment

• Dosho
          • Jun 2008

Much of my life has been about getting in my own way. I suppose you can say your actions are conditioned by others or past responses, but ultimately the only one keeping you where you are is yourself.

In a manner of speaking.

Comment

• Tobiishi
            • Jan 2009

At many of the potential turning points of my life, I stood in front of myself. I am a bit too tall to see past. I only found out what happened later by watching those fuzzy black and white security tapes.

I'm still not sure exactly what I missed.

:|
            It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Comment

• disastermouse

Originally posted by Dosho
              Much of my life has been about getting in my own way. I suppose you can say your actions are conditioned by others or past responses, but ultimately the only one keeping you where you are is yourself.

In a manner of speaking.
              What's wrong with where you are?

Chet

Comment

• Jundo
                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by disastermouse

In a manner of speaking.

Chet
                We are always just where we are, and always at home, always perfectly a jewel of who we are right now. Nothing to add or take away.

Thus, do not be complacent and self-satisfied, never give up trying to be a better person, or to make this world better. Stillness does not depend on moving or sitting still, so in life we have to live and move for we are not stones.

Sometimes the way to get somewhere is to work very hard, sometimes the way to get somewhere is to stop whatever you were doing in the past to prevent that. Don't forget that either. Some may think the way to answer the question "who am I" is to search very hard, but perhaps the way to answer is to stop asking ... and just BE "who you are".

Gassho, Jundo

PS- (And, as we discovered earlier in this thread, still another way to answer the question "who am I" is to drop the idea that there is even an "I" to be (or, if you get right down to it, that there is even a "be" to "be or not to be".)

"Who am I" is kind of an "All of The Above" multiple choice question. It can be approached in each of those ways, and does lend itself to but a single perspective.
                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• disastermouse

Originally posted by Jundo

In a manner of speaking.

Chet
                  We are always just where we are, and always at home, always perfectly a jewel of who we are right now. Nothing to add or take away.

Thus, do not be complacent and self-satisfied, never give up trying to be a better person, or to make this world better. Stillness does not depend on moving or sitting still, so in life we have to live and move for we are not stones.
                  Honestly Jundo, most of my misery has come from 'trying to be a better person'. I've learned I'm a pretty good person as it is. Most of my ethical lapses have been the result of trying to get something or be somewhere else.

Sometimes the way to get somewhere is to work very hard, sometimes the way to get somewhere is to stop whatever you were doing in the past to prevent that. Don't forget that either. Some may think the way to answer the question "who am I" is to search very hard, but perhaps the way to answer is to stop asking ... and just BE "who you are".

Gassho, Jundo
                  Still, where are we going?

Comment

• AlanLa
                    • Mar 2008

Chet said
                    How can you get in your own way?
                    By thinking instead of being, which I think you might agree with because you write about it quite eloquently.
                    AL (Jigen) in:
                    Faith/Trust
                    Courage/Love
                    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

Comment

• Dosho
                      • Jun 2008

In a manner of speaking.

Chet

Nothing at all.

Comment

Working...