• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: Dealing with anger

Also,

someone posted a lovely video on this theme over on Brad's blog ...

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=kAIpRRZvnJg#

the animator of the video says ...

For those critics who read this video as an 'attack', or commentary on one specific religious/political/ideological group, a message: look deeper.
    I think it could apply to "us" if we cling to the "our Buddhism" too tightly too and think that it is "our way or the highway".

Best to "non-think" outside the box perhaps!

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• sarushin

I wish to thank all of you for the advice, it was sorely needed. After many sittings trying to explore the nature of my anger in that instance I realized that only a small part was actual anger towards him, the majority of it was a combination of anger towards others in my past and the conditioned self-hate that I've been left with. Yes, my anger does have a story behind it; a doozie at that, and I can see now that reporting him would be a form of revenge. I have begun to work metta practice into my daily ritual (does reading from cue cards still count? :roll: ). I'm sure it'll help diffuse negative emotions and teach me more empathy. I really have no problems discussing philosophies but the groundwork has to come from mutual respect and tolerance. I have a problem when everything I say is dismissed, am talked down to, or made to feel guilty (I guess two of those are my own constructs though, thanks conditioning). It does take two to insult and this person knew where I my missing scale was so he could shoot his arrow. The more my practice reveals about myself the more I realize the truth of how we create our world through our thoughts. The only thing he did was not listen to me, yet in myself I turned it into an attack and offense. This was a lesson and I'm glad I have all of you to help me learn it. If anyone else has anything to say I need all the help I can get lol.

Thanks,

Alan

P.S. Jundo, you hit the nail on the head with that video.

Comment

• humblepie
        • Jan 2009

I'm right there with you, Alan, though I may have a little further to go than you. I'm really just getting started on my zen journey, even though it seems my whole life has been leading me in this direction since I was very young.

Like you, Alan, I'm located in a very conservative area. Pennsylvania itself is usually considered liberal, but once you get out into the rural areas, well...let's just say ignorant attitudes such as those associated with the KKK are alive and well here. Crosses still burn on lawns once in a while. Most folks are more subtle in their ignorance, but it's still a thorn in the side.

I just recently "came out" about not being a Christian, and I'm openly expressing my Zen Buddhist path with family and friends. In my community, you're a suspicious character if you don't drink beer and listen to country music, so I've always been sneered at for the last 14 years my wife and I lived here.

You were right, that video did hit it on the head. Even though I haven't been directly approached by anyone disagreeing with my views yet, I have begun practicing metta along with sitting, and it's made a huge difference already. My anger over the ignorance of others is dissipating and I'm becoming more accepting of things being as they are.

Thank you deeply, Alan, Jundo and everyone else who contributed to this thread. It's been extremely helpful.

Gassho, Dave
        1 in 4 girls will be sexually abused before the age of 18, and 1 in 6 boys.
        These figures only represent reported cases.

Comment

Working...