• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

NEXT BOOK FOR TREELEAF BOOK CLUB ...

Hi,

I would like to choose this book as our next book for the Treeleaf Book Club (once we are done with our Precepts study and Aitken Roshi's The Mind of Clover) ... What do you think?

Shunryu Suzuki Roshi's "Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness: Zen Talks on the Sandokai"

By the way, for this and other books, try bookfinder for a good new or used copy, delivered world-wide (it will even tell you the postal rate if overseas ... just change the shipping destination country) ... Some folks (in Finland!! for example ... it gives shipping rates to Finland) asked to know early, as it may take time to receive the book.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 20sandokai

From Publishers Weekly
    This book is billed as a sequel to Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, Suzuki's classic collection of talks on Zen, but it stands on its own considerable merits as an eloquent, humorous series of lectures on the Sandokai, an eighth-century poem central to the Soto Zen tradition. These lectures show Suzuki, head priest of Tassajara monastery in California until his death in 1971, using his line-by-line exposition of the poem to illuminate what it means to practice Zen Buddhism. He stresses the simultaneity of the relative and the absolute, skillfully using words to direct his listeners toward understanding, all the while emphasizing that words are merely fingers pointing at the moon of enlightenment. Suzuki's devaluation of the verbal frees him to embrace humor and paradox as teaching methods; his examples range from ancient Chinese stories to anecdotes about weeding in the Tassajara garden and encountering an earwig. Readers of his previous book will be familiar with his earthy, clear, intense style. This book also conveys the texture of monastery life; it recounts 12 consecutive talks and includes the question-and-answer sessions at the end of each talk. These exchanges offer some of the most fascinating parts of an already excellent book, as they explicate some of the unclear points and illuminate the indirect yet confrontational quality of traditional Japanese Zen teaching.
    We chant the 'Sandokai' ("The Identity of Relative and Absolute") during our monthly Zazenkai, during the Rohatsu Retreat, etc.

Do you think it absolutely a great choice, or just relatively so?

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Gregor
    • Apr 2007

Re: NEXT BOOK FOR TREELEAF BOOK CLUB ...

Sounds great to me, I'm excited to read it.
    Jukai '09 Dharma Name: Shinko 慎重(Prudent Calm)

Comment

• Undo
      • Jun 2007

I'm very pleased you've picked this book. I've just been going through beginner's mind again and planned to get this one next, so thanks for the link too.

"....All spheres,every sense and field
      intermingle even as they shine alone,
      Interacting even as they merge,
      Yet keeping their places in expressions of their own...."

Philip

Comment

• Dosho
        • Jun 2008

Already on order.

Actually, I was ordering Opening the Hand of Thought today already and saw the selection. So, I picked that up too and I figure I'd want to read it anyway.

Seems like an excellent choice to me.

Comment

• Myoshin

Sounds like a solid choice! I really enjoyed Zen Mind Beginner's Mind so I look forward to reading this.

Gassho,

Kyle

Comment

• Tb
            • Jan 2008

Hi.

Getting it.

May the force be with you
            Tb
            Life is our temple and its all good practice
            Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• chessie
              • Jun 2008

In the springtime I printed out the 'recommended reading list' here, and took it in hand to the one bookstore that I can walk to during lunch. I bought everything that I could find from that list that I saw on the shelves! Okay, so I maybe went a little overboard...but I read the Beginner's Mind first, and loved it. This I found easier to understand than a couple other books, so I know that I love his style of writing! I'll order this one to pick up in the next few week or so. Gassho, Ann

Comment

• JeffLegg
                • Jun 2008

I'm excited to join you all for this next reading.

Jundo: about when do you think we'll start on Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness?

Jeff

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by JeffLegg
                  Jundo: about when do you think we'll start on Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness?

Jeff
                  About the time we finish Aitken Roshi. ops:

Gassho, Jundo

PS- Sometime in late January or so?

Comment

• Bansho
                    • Apr 2007

Hi Jundo,

You've read my mind. I've just finished reading 'Not Always So' and was thinking of re-reading 'Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness' soon. (I think I first read it about 2 years ago.). Reading it together with the rest of the Sangha will be great - count me in!

Gassho
                    Ken
                    ??

Comment

• JeffLegg
                      • Jun 2008

Thanks Jundo. I had a feeling I was setting myself up for a good reply.

Comment

• chicanobudista
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Jundo

Do you think it absolutely a great choice, or just relatively so?
                        Anything by S. Suzuki is great by me. Aye!

Some historical context, what's the difference between this book and "Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen"? :?:
                        paz,
                        Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• KellyRok
                          • Jul 2008

Hello all,

I think this sounds like a wonderful book for our next adventure. I will add it to the top of my ever-increasing "must read" book list. :wink:

Gassho,
                          Kelly Rok

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by chicanobudista

Some historical context, what's the difference between this book and "Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen"? :?:
                            Same ... but different. (I've got a million of em!) :wink:

"Not Always So" is this book ...

Contrary to Zen's principle of "nothing special," Brown (The Tassajara Bread Book; Tassajara Cooking) has indeed produced something very special: an edited collection of talks by beloved Zen Master Shunryu Suzuki, who died in 1971. It is impossible to overestimate the sustained impact of Suzuki's 1970 classic, Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, a world-renowned bestseller. Brown, ordained by Suzuki in 1971 after six years of study under him, has edited transcriptions that both read well on the page and capture the style, humor and solid grasp evident in the first volume. But this is no Zen Mind sequel, and will prove highly valuable to anyone, rank novice or zazen master. These 35 talks, delivered shortly before Suzuki's death from cancer, sparkle with simple freshness and familiarity: "Our tendency is to be interested in something that is growing in the garden, not in the bare soil itself. But if you want to have a good harvest, the most important thing is to make the soil rich and cultivate it well. The Buddha's teaching is not about the food itself but about how it is grown, and how to take care of it." Suzuki's messages are like deceptive pools of water, shimmering with surface possibilities that provoke stronger swimmers to aim for the depths. Suzuki, too, beckons us to the deeper reaches of learning, becoming "a wise, warm-hearted friend, [and] an unseen companion in the dark." Again we are blessed with more of his superb vision.
                            - an unseen companion in the dark." Again we are blessed with more of his superb vision.
                            http://www.amazon.com/Not-Always-So-Pra ... 874&sr=8-1

Comment

• jcsuperstar
                              • Nov 2008

ordered
                              [color=#FF8080:2xha6u8u][size=150:2xha6u8u]????? ????? ?????? ?????[/size:2xha6u8u][/color:2xha6u8u]
                              "i need not to know all the answers but merely to understand the questions" - Tozen Akiyama Roshi

Comment

Working...