Familiar yet a stranger

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • houst0n
    • Nov 2021

I'm more of a Sheng fan than Shu, can't get over that fishy taste..

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shinshin
      ... I started wearing a Mala very early in my practice ...
      Turns out, in Soto we use a Nenju. It has a slightly different style, including a double tassel and sometimes a metal ring.
      By coincidence, Shinshin, I just sent this nice article on Soto style Nenju to somebody interested. You will need to run a translation on it (I use chrome and google), but it is readable. Again, the purpose in Soto practice is most typically for lay people to finger at funerals.

Gassho, J

STLah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Nengyoku
        • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Jundo
        By coincidence, Shinshin, I just sent this nice article on Soto style Nenju to somebody interested. You will need to run a translation on it (I use chrome and google), but it is readable. Again, the purpose in Soto practice is most typically for lay people to finger at funerals.

Gassho, J

STLah
        This was a very interesting read, thank you Jundo.

It does raise a question I have, but there may not be an answer or it may be unimportant. I read elsewhere that Soto sect Nenju use a double tassel, but this website specifically has the women's Nenju with a double tassel and the men's with a single. Would you happen to know which is traditional?

Gassho,
        William
        Sat
        Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shinshin
          This was a very interesting read, thank you Jundo.

It does raise a question I have, but there may not be an answer or it may be unimportant. I read elsewhere that Soto sect Nenju use a double tassel, but this website specifically has the women's Nenju with a double tassel and the men's with a single. Would you happen to know which is traditional?

Gassho,
          William
          Sat
          That company is very reputable, so I would go with their opinion.

However, looking at some other reputable sites and Soto-shu nenju specifically for men, I see a variety of tassels.

曹洞宗の数珠・念珠を取り扱い。京都の数珠職人による丁寧な仕上がりの日本製宗派数珠を卸値価格で販売。男性用の曹洞宗数珠のオーダーメイドも対応しています。

Here is an official Soto-shu website, and they show a variety of styles ...

Sorry, I am not a nenju expert and don't particularly encourage (or discourage) the practice of wearing them.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Comment

• Nengyoku
            • Jun 2021

However, looking at some other reputable sites and Soto-shu nenju specifically for men, I see a variety of tassels.

Sorry, I am not a nenju expert and don't particularly encourage (or discourage) the practice of wearing them.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
            Thank you for your help.

I think the variety seems to imply that it doesn't particularly matter. A Nenju is still a Nenju, the importance is the gesture of respect we offer with our practice.

Your support here is encouragement enough.

I am sorry to have taken over your thread, Neil.

Gassho,
            William
            Sat
            Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Comment

• Hōkan
              • Mar 2021

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Some of these look lovely and seem affordable but are apparently shipped only to Japan. Do you know of sellers that will ship to the US?

Sat today in the FSR.
              --
              Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
              To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Hōkan
                Some of these look lovely and seem affordable but are apparently shipped only to Japan. Do you know of sellers that will ship to the US?

Sat today in the FSR.
                Sorry, I do not.

Gassho, Jundo

Comment

• Gregor
                  • Apr 2007

The monastery store from Zen Mountain Monastery has a good selection. Several for $20 or less. FYI.

Gassho,

Greg
                  ST

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
                  Jukai '09 Dharma Name: Shinko 慎重(Prudent Calm)

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Gregor
                    The monastery store from Zen Mountain Monastery has a good selection. Several for $20 or less. FYI.

Gassho,

Greg
                    ST

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
                    They may not be "Soto-shu" style, which is what Shinshin and some others are focused on.

Gassho, J

STlah

Comment

Working...