X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

"Fancy Dance" Online Showing

A Zen comedy not to be missed will be shown online by the Japan Society in New York: FANCY DANCE (ファンシイダンス』), a 1989 Japanese film set in a Soto (I believe) Zen temple, very funny. It is also hard to find. It will be available online from December 3 to 23rd ($10 for a 3 day rental) as part of the Society's wider Japanese film festival (Sorry, they say that it is only for North American viewers, so I am not sure about other places). Here is a nice little summary ...

Successful punk-rock vocalist Yohei happens to come from a long line of Buddhist priests and is expected to serve a year as a novice monk. He reluctantly submits, shaving the half of his head which wasn't already shaved, and resigns himself to a life of asceticism and discipline in a mountain temple. But he and three fellow novices soon learn that some monks are more equal than others. [One] monk secretly hoards chocolates and the disciplinarian monk likes to don a wig and hit karaoke bars. And then Yohei's girlfriend shows up. The mix of belly laughs, slapstick, sex jokes and satire pushes towards a predictably serene, spiritual conclusion.
    I am sure that the online version will have subtitles, but here is a preview ..

PS - Anything in the film that raises a question, ask about here. I will do my best to explain. Some of the jokes are really hard to translate.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-09-2021, 02:48 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Tomás ESP
    • Aug 2020

This looks hilarious, I will check out if it's available to watch from Spain! Thank you for sharing.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

Comment

Working...