X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Meitou
    ... and no not necessary to sit on a cushion covered in cartoon dog bones ...
    Now, wait a second, the Buddha actually recommended that, contemplation looking at bones! Maybe he did not mean cute bones, however.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - And don't forget Kotei's wonderful and practical "Zafu from a folded blanket!" Ultimately, a Zafu is just something to put your Holy Butt on.

Last edited by Jundo; 10-21-2020, 12:24 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Geika
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jan 2010

I never thought about a dog bed! What a great idea for a zabuton. Also, the above rolled blanket technique was my way to go for many years until my husband bought me a zafu.

Gassho
      Sat, lah
      求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
      I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Risho
        • May 2010

ha - my dog turned my zabuton into her bed years ago; I still have old saliva marks on there and I would never wash them off because she's no longer here with us, so it's part of my zabuton
        Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Seishin
          • Aug 2016

Project Get Stuffed...........

Ok so my "garden mulch" has turned up and it seems good quality and dry. So old zafu has been emptied of kapok and is having a wash before, stage two, refill and sew.
          For comparison my 50L cost me 22 Euros and a 15.5L bespoke refill sack around 15 Euros

And if it all goes Pete Tong, I've ordered this as a backup at 35 Euros inc p&p

I will keep you posted.

Sat ........... probably just as well

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
          Shin - Heart

Comment

• Seishin
            • Aug 2016

Project Get Stuffed Continued

So anyone need an idea for Samu work ? Try this Zafu stuffing lark, so I gave up my guitar practice time to ensure I had something to sit on in the morning and 90 minutes later (including sewing and lots of garage floor sweeping !) result. So I now have a very plump and solid 8" high zafu, which will be perfect for my old knees.

Completing this task was great practice, from the letting go of the kapok covered Seishin and need to wash not only the empty zafu but one of my favourite Lynyrd Skynyrd T-shirts, to the careful art of filling a Zafu that does not want to be filled - more buckwheat on the floor than in the zafu for the first 15 minutes - until we became one and all flowed into each other.

In the last pic my 20 odd year old first zafu, which I could have sworn was described as buckwheat filled when I bought it, after all that it is not and I knew no difference at the time.

I find it ironic looking at the last pic, just like my first Karate Black belt, that I wore for another 12 years and further gradings, both my zafu and zabuton have started to turn grey with use and age. Just like the Karateka Dan grade who keeps on practicing, his belt becoming whiter in time. the colour of a beginners belt. We see Beginners Mind in all things.

All in all I used about 2/3 of the 50L bag, so the "upgrade" cost me about 15-16 Euros in all. The new Zafu 35 Euros which these days is not a bad price. Looking forward to tomorrow mornings test ride, as the extra height as I said will ease my old knees, however now it is time for a well earned beer.

Sorry for the long post, difficult to truncate this to three sentences but maybe folks will benefit from my experimental toils.

Sat lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
            Shin - Heart

Comment

• Shokai
              Treeleaf Priest
              • Mar 2009

合掌,生開
              gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"