Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewart
    • May 2017

Posture and the content of my zazen.

During the last 4 hour zazenkai, my leg went into spasm while I was sitting and I had to roll off the cushion to stretch. I have been sitting Burmese style. For a long time my left leg and foot has gone numb if I sit for longer periods but this was the first time this has happened. So, this weekend, I experimented with sitting seiza but with the zafu between my legs, so that I was still sitting on the cushion. In addition to no pain or numbness I was also sitting with a much better posture, i.e. a straight back. I could then sit without thinking about whether I could stand up again for kinhin. A couple of times in temples, I've fallen over after sitting because I was unable to walk.

As a result of this I settled into the sitting and had a few strong emotional reactions. As best I can I try to let thoughts simply drift away but this time when a recurring issue at work came up it was quickly followed by the startling image of a puss filled wound bursting and being drained. When I did kinhin, I found myself crying. More emotional fireworks than I've ever had in sitting before.

Stewart
    Sat
  • Tai Shi
    • Oct 2014

Sometimes I sit in an easy chair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Bion
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Stewart
      During the last 4 hour zazenkai, my leg went into spasm while I was sitting and I had to roll off the cushion to stretch. I have been sitting Burmese style. For a long time my left leg and foot has gone numb if I sit for longer periods but this was the first time this has happened. So, this weekend, I experimented with sitting seiza but with the zafu between my legs, so that I was still sitting on the cushion. In addition to no pain or numbness I was also sitting with a much better posture, i.e. a straight back. I could then sit without thinking about whether I could stand up again for kinhin. A couple of times in temples, I've fallen over after sitting because I was unable to walk.

As a result of this I settled into the sitting and had a few strong emotional reactions. As best I can I try to let thoughts simply drift away but this time when a recurring issue at work came up it was quickly followed by the startling image of a puss filled wound bursting and being drained. When I did kinhin, I found myself crying. More emotional fireworks than I've ever had in sitting before.

Stewart
      Sat
      I don’t have the impression it troubles you. I don’t think it should. Zazen is good for nothing but then again able to accomplish so much that it manages to startle us and shake us up at times. I’ve shed tears during zazen before and cried during the metta verse, so no worries Stewart!

[emoji1374] SatToday lah (sorry for the extra lines)
      "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Stewart
        • May 2017

Originally posted by jakeb
        I don’t have the impression it troubles you. I don’t think it should. Zazen is good for nothing but then again able to accomplish so much that it manages to startle us and shake us up at times. I’ve shed tears during zazen before and cried during the metta verse, so no worries Stewart!

[emoji1374] SatToday lah (sorry for the extra lines)
        Quite so - doesn't bother me at all. Interesting and has aroused my curiosity a little but no concern.

Stewart
        Sat

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

During the last 4 hour zazenkai, my leg went into spasm while I was sitting and I had to roll off the cushion to stretch. I have been sitting Burmese style. ....A couple of times in temples, I've fallen over after sitting because I was unable to walk.
          "A guy walks into a doctor's office, and says 'Doctor, it hurts when I do this...' Doctor says, "Then don't do that."

If a posture feels reasonably balanced, stable, comfortable ... do that!

I take it that you are sitting Seiza with the Zafu turned sideways, like riding a horse. That's great.

Yes, lovely. Stuff comes up in the silence and allowing of our sitting and kinhin. Good. It was probably a wound that needed to burst. Lovely. When crying just cry, then keep walking forward ...

(Sorry for running long. Don't do that! )

Gassho, J

STLah
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• shikantazen
            • Feb 2013

FYI, I recently had similar issue but the numbness was more prolonged (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...after-zazenkai). Since then I have been sitting in a chair. I was hesitant but the chair experience wow'ed me in that it is no different than sitting on a zafu; My posture is automatically aligned (most of the times) and I feel good about energy in the posture

Gassho,
            Sam
            ST

Comment

• Stewart
              • May 2017

Originally posted by Tai Shi
              Sometimes I sit in an easy chair!

I'd have to buy an easy chair to do that...LOL.

Stewart
              Sat

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

I'd have to buy an easy chair to do that...LOL.

Stewart
                Sat
                Tai Shi (it is not confidence, as he discusses the condition here often) has some neck and other health issues that may require an easy chair. It is not usually the best kind of chair for zazen, as it is too easy just to sink into and just doze.

Originally posted by shikantazen
                ... I was hesitant but the chair experience wow'ed me in that it is no different than sitting on a zafu...

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Seishin
                  • Aug 2016

Stewart

I also sit in seiza in the manner you described. I have never had the flexibility sit full, half and quarter lotus but tried Burmese for a while but also experienced numbness and trouble standing ! I initially tried seiza with the zafu on its edge as is usually recommended but this resulted in sciatic pain and more numbness. Having purchased a slightly taller zafu I found I could sit on it "normally" with my legs either side. I very rarely get any discomfort sitting like this bar the occasional foot cramp when I first sit, cured by a little stretching.

However, sitting like this has yet to induce any strong experiences as you describe. But it works for me.

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
                  Shin - Heart

Comment

• Tai Shi
                    • Oct 2014

Seishin
                    So, sometimes I sit in a strait back chair with right arm up against a desk, but once I was able to sit in strait back chair for an entire Zazenkai without any former pill I’ve given up. Depends on how I feel.
                    Gassho
                    sat / lah
                    Tai Shi

Comment

• Kokuu
                      Treeleaf Priest
                      • Nov 2012

FYI, I recently had similar issue but the numbness was more prolonged (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...after-zazenkai). Since then I have been sitting in a chair. I was hesitant but the chair experience wow'ed me in that it is no different than sitting on a zafu; My posture is automatically aligned (most of the times) and I feel good about energy in the posture
                      That is good to hear, Sam! One day we might have to get a collection of pictures of how many of us sit who cannot adopt some of the traditional postures.

Gassho
                      Kokuu
                      -sattoday(not on a cushion)-

Comment

• Onka
                        • May 2019

Originally posted by Kokuu
                        That is good to hear, Sam! One day we might have to get a collection of pictures of how many of us sit who cannot adopt some of the traditional postures.

Gassho
                        Kokuu
                        -sattoday(not on a cushion)-
                        I agree Kokuu
                        Jundo has in my short time here always supported the idea of sitting how you can wherever you can (we even had a Lion's pose Zazenkai) but a lot of people still hold onto the idea that Shikantaza is only Shikantaza if performed sitting one of a few othodox poses. As another example of sitting how you can I can share that health challenges now mean I can only "sit" reclined with straight legs elevated, or laying down. Perhaps a small gallery of folk "sitting" in their non-traditional poses as an attachment to Jundo's beginner series of talks could add a visual reinforcement of his teaching...?
                        Gassho
                        Onka
                        sat today
                        穏 On (Calm)
                        火 Ka (Fires)
                        They/She.

Comment

• Meian
                          • Apr 2015

I rarely sit traditionally, unable to without significant pain or problems.

Gassho, meian
                          Reclined today lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                          鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
                          visiting Unsui
                          Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Tai Shi
                            • Oct 2014

I have what Jundo describes as driving down a highway taking note of scenery left and right but only noticed while watching straight ahead. Would you call that focus? I do exactly this while seated. I’ve never tried on my back, but Jundo says it can be done. My best results are with strait back chair with one arm supported. This is, of course, with my breath as Jundo describes I always try through my nose back and forth. Chanting as needed.
                            Gassho
                            sat / lah
                            Tai Shi

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Onka
                              Perhaps a small gallery of folk "sitting" in their non-traditional poses as an attachment to Jundo's beginner series of talks could add a visual reinforcement of his teaching...?
                              Gassho
                              Onka
                              sat today
                              That's a good idea. We do have our"Lion's Pose Zazenkai" ...

Our Sangha 'sat' all together by reclining in the Buddha's "Lion's Pose" in union with our Sangha members whose health and physical needs make seated Zazen i...

We will do it again during our Rohatsu Retreat.

Gassho, J

STlah

Comment

Working...