Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inshin
    • Jul 2020

Heart Sutra

May I kindly ask for an English singing version of Heart Sutra, with the stress on vowels, breaks etc...?
    Thank you.

Gassho
    Sat
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

Hi Ania

Are you looking for a version that is different from what is chanted in the weekly Zazenkai?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Comment

• Onka
      • May 2019

Maybe these links still work
      The Heart Sutra
      Voice only: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing
      With Bell & Mokugyo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing
      Gassho
      Onka
      ST
      穏 On (Calm)
      火 Ka (Fires)
      They/She.

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Yes, here is our version ...

The following is our Ceremony for the WEEKLY (90-minute) and MONTHLY (4 hour) ZAZENKAI: You can also download our Chant Book for Weekly and Monthly Zazenkai as a PDF ... LINK FOR CHANT BOOK DOWNLOAD (PDF) (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dALXODBGWE1xLVXyE0oCADtnWIgpLJTz/view) Please download, print and treat respectfully,

Remember that there is quite a bit of variation in English (or other language) wording from western Sangha to western Sangha because these are all translations and interpretations of the Sino-Japanese (Chinese text pronounced in Japan in the Japanese way) which can be worded or expressed various ways in English and other languages. The text itself may have been composed in China first or in India (scholars are not sure), but is definitely a kind of "in a nutshell" summary of the much longer "Perfection of Wisdom" (Prajna Paramita) Sutra literature from India which emphasizes the identity of "form" and "emptiness" and how the mind creates our vision of a divided world.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - Hmmm. We haven't done so for awhile, maybe good to have a new teaching series on Heart Sutra. Hmmm.
        Last edited by Jundo; 10-02-2020, 12:50 AM.
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tairin
          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Jundo
          PS - Hmmm. We haven't done so for awhile, maybe good to have a new teaching series on Heart Sutra. Hmmm.
          Yes please.

Tairin
          Sat today and lah
          泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Seikan
            • Apr 2020

I'll second (or third?) this. I've been wanting to take a deeper dive into the Heart Sutra for some time. I even recently picked up Kazuaki Takahashi's guide to the Heart Sutra, but it is still waiting patiently to be read.

Gassho,
            Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
            聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by RobD
              I'll second (or third?) this. I've been wanting to take a deeper dive into the Heart Sutra for some time. I even recently picked up Kazuaki Takahashi's guide to the Heart Sutra, but it is still waiting patiently to be read.

Gassho,
              Rob
              The Tanahashi book is a little hard to read, but is fascinating from a translator's (like me) point of view because he handles the various character meanings in Chinese and Japanese in great detail. I like the Red Pine book on Heart Sutra as a better introduction.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Seikan
                • Apr 2020

The Tanahashi book is a little hard to read, but is fascinating from a translator's (like me) point of view because he handles the various character meanings in Chinese and Japanese in great detail. I like the Red Pine book on Heart Sutra as a better introduction.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
                Good to know about the Red Pine version. I'll likely grab a copy of that as well for comparison (and it sounds like it might be a required/suggested reading if you offer a course of study on the Heart Sutra).

Thanks!

Gassho,
                Rob

-stlah-

Comment

• Naiko
                  • Aug 2019

Another yes, please!
                  Gassho,
                  Krista
                  st

Comment

• Inshin
                    • Jul 2020

Yes, here is our version ...

The following is our Ceremony for the WEEKLY (90-minute) and MONTHLY (4 hour) ZAZENKAI: You can also download our Chant Book for Weekly and Monthly Zazenkai as a PDF ... LINK FOR CHANT BOOK DOWNLOAD (PDF) (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dALXODBGWE1xLVXyE0oCADtnWIgpLJTz/view) Please download, print and treat respectfully,

Remember that there is quite a bit of variation in English (or other language) wording from western Sangha to western Sangha because these are all translations and interpretations of the Sino-Japanese (Chinese text pronounced in Japan in the Japanese way) which can be worded or expressed various ways in English and other languages. The text itself may have been composed in China first or in India (scholars are not sure), but is definitely a kind of "in a nutshell" summary of the much longer "Perfection of Wisdom" (Prajna Paramita) Sutra literature from India which emphasizes the identity of "form" and "emptiness" and how the mind creates our vision of a divided world.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Thank you, that's what I was looking for! I'm gathering courage to try to chant it
                    Study about Heart Sutra would be amazing!

Gassho
                    Sat

Comment

• Risho
                      • May 2010

To echo everyone else - I'd really like to study this again as well

Gassho

Risho
                      -stlah
                      Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Sekiyuu
                        • Apr 2018

When you said "singing version" I immediately thought of the Korean version, which is much more musical than it is in Japanese or English. Seon has a lot more Pure Land influence than Japanese Zen, so there's quite a bit more flair to their rituals.

I sometimes go to a Korean Zen temple and the different approach to chanting is pretty interesting. The priests-in-training there have some very well-trained singing voices. The musicality has a purpose behind it (jump to 7:00 to get to the gyst ... also, these folks are from Regensburg and not Toronto!):
                        The Evening Bell Chant is the opening chant, done solo, which marks the beginning of Evening Practice at Zen temples in Korea. It is not ornamental or decora...

At 17:00 he compares the Evening Bell Chant to punk rock... I have to agree!

As for the sutra itself, I've read two books specifically on the topic, I would recommend both:

Kazuaki Tanahashi - "The Heart Sutra: A Comprehensive Guide to the Classic of Mahayana Buddhism"
                        It's mostly a history book, comparing various versions of the sutra line-by-line, but Tanahashi's style keeps you entertained.
                        I actually think Tanahashi is more accessible than, say, Shohaku Okumura, who writes in a style that would almost fit in an academic journal.

Thich Nhat Hanh - "The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra"
                        Like most (all?) of his books, it's a very easy and pleasant read, maybe a bit too simplistic for some readers. Sometimes you just need to get to the heart () of the matter and not get so caught up in the words, though.

Gassho,
                        Kenny
                        Sat Today
                        Last edited by Sekiyuu; 10-02-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• vanbui
                          • Dec 2018

I would avoid Kazuaki Takahashi's book unless you are interested to know the details of the origin and history of the heart sutra. He does not explain the meaning of the heart sutra line by line. Red Pine's book is much better at teaching the content of the heart sutra.

Gassho
                          Van
                          Satlah

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Seikan
                            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by vanbui
                            I would avoid Kazuaki Takahashi's book unless you are interested to know the details of the origin and history of the heart sutra. He does not explain the meaning of the heart sutra line by line. Red Pine's book is much better at teaching the content of the heart sutra.

Gassho
                            Van
                            Satlah

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
                            Thank you for this. I'm actually very interested in both angles, so I'm thinking that a careful reading of both books is exactly what I need.

Gassho,
                            Rob

-stlah-

Comment

• Tairin
                              • Feb 2016

I thought the chapter on the Heart Sutra in the book “Living by Vow” by Shohaku Okumura was very good and accessible. We read this book a few years back as part of the Wordless Book club.

Tairin
                              Sat today and lah
                              泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

Working...