X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shinshi
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Jul 2010

Just a random thought about chanting

For some reason during hearing the Heart Sutra during the Jukai ceremony really reminded me of a drum circle.

As many of you know I live in NW New Mexico, really close to the Navajo to the west, Apache and Utes to the North. There are powwows here regularly and one local station broadcasts in Navajo.

So you hear this a lot. This is also a religious ceremony. Some consider the drums to have a life of their own.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ
  • Doshin
    • May 2015

As you may know I live in SW NM. I also lived and worked in Chinle so I understand what you are saying.

Doshin
    St

Comment

• Cooperix
      • Nov 2013

Hello Shinshi,

Thanks for posting this drum circle video. Powerful and moving...It must be within the human psyche to want to create resonating sounds both vocally and with instruments. It would be great to see other examples.
      I too live in NM and we are so lucky to have such diverse and rich cultural abundance. I have a couple of young Navajo friends who are open and happy to share with me their cultural rites and traditions. So much to learn from these wise indigenous people's culture. Fortunate indeed.

gassho
      Anne

~st~

Comment

• Meian
        • Apr 2015

I've been a member and Relative of Manataka American Indian Council since 2003, and have known its Keeper and Secretary/Historian for just as long.

They also have drumming circles there, and regular ceremonies, music, healing circles, everything. I have not been able to attend since they are in Arkansas, but this video in Shinshi's post brought back some wonderful memories for me. First Nations say that drums are the heartbeat of the Earth, and tell stories of their own. On a few occasions, the Elders gathered for drumming circles of healing ceremonies for my family and many others for various situations. Some of us very far away -- but every one of us could feel it.

Such caring, compassionate, welcoming people ..... here and there. We are all greatly blessed. Thank you for sharing this.

gassho
        Meian
        st lh
        鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
        visiting Unsui
        Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• aprapti
          • Jun 2017

thank you for sharing this.

aprapti

std/lah

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Comment

• Wahida
            • Dec 2019

I grew up (from age 11) in northern Arizona. There were often pow wows on my high school football field. It warms my heart to see this connection, & to remember. Thank you for sharing.

Gassho,
            Wahida
            Sat

Comment

Working...