Zen and Mala?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kendrick
    • May 2019

I have been wearing this small wrist one nearly every day since 2013 or so. I think I paid $1 for it. I recently restrung it since the band was wearing out, and added the ring. I have also a few 108 bead malas; the main one I use and sometimes wear is a bodhi seed one I strung/knotted myself. I have a large Tiger's Eye one and a smaller Red Jasper one as well (both made by other people). I've used them for mantra recitations over the years, and I wear the small one as a reminder of practice; I chose skulls to serve as a reminder of impermanence, and I added the ring to represent an Enso. I like having the reminder, and it makes a nice way to start a conversation if someone askes me about it. I carry a small flat, bronze Buddha in my right pocket every day as well, it's my "pebble" practice adopted from Thich Nhat Hanh's suggestion in some of his books.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Gassho
    Kendrick
    SatTonight/LAH

Comment

• karlmalachut
      • May 2018

I don't use them personally but do need something in front of me to center at the moment like a candle or other object because I can't do the wall well at the moment.

Comment

• Victor
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Kendrick
        I have been wearing this small wrist one nearly every day since 2013 or so. I think I paid $1 for it. I recently restrung it since the band was wearing out, and added the ring. I have also a few 108 bead malas; the main one I use and sometimes wear is a bodhi seed one I strung/knotted myself. I have a large Tiger's Eye one and a smaller Red Jasper one as well (both made by other people). I've used them for mantra recitations over the years, and I wear the small one as a reminder of practice; I chose skulls to serve as a reminder of impermanence, and I added the ring to represent an Enso. I like having the reminder, and it makes a nice way to start a conversation if someone askes me about it. I carry a small flat, bronze Buddha in my right pocket every day as well, it's my "pebble" practice adopted from Thich Nhat Hanh's suggestion in some of his books.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5691[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5692[/ATTACH]

Gassho
        Kendrick
        SatTonight/LAH
        Those are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
        "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Comment

• Victor
          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by karlmalachut
          I don't use them personally but do need something in front of me to center at the moment like a candle or other object because I can't do the wall well at the moment.
          I use something like that occasionally as well!

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Comment

• Tai Do
            • Jan 2019

I don't have any, but this thread is really making me want one for myself.

Gassho,
            Mateus
            Sat/LAH
            怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
            (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Comment

• Victor
              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by mateus.baldin
              I don't have any, but this thread is really making me want one for myself.

Gassho,
              Mateus
              Sat/LAH
              If you feel drawn to it, I see no reason not to own either a wrist or neck mala

Comment

• Meitou
                • Feb 2017

I want to see that cat mala!
                Gassho
                Meitou
                satwithyoualllah
                命 Mei - life
                島 Tou - island

Comment

Working...