X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Eiheiji Inside Dogen's Zen Monastery

NOTE: I have locked the thread because, alas, the video is now not available. Buddha was right about impermanence. However, maybe it will return sometime.

A new film from Japanese Public TV (NHK), in English, on daily life in Eiheiji Head Temple, Master Dogen's monastery.

It is interesting that the NHK seems to remake almost this same documentary every 10 years or so, since the lifestyle of the monks shown has not really changed that much for 800 years! (However, the camera images in this one are nice, and it contains many interesting glimpses not usually seen. Most of the older versions are available on Youtube too).

It is only available to watch for a this weekend however!!

Eiheiji is a world-famous Zen monastery located in the mountains 200 kilometers northeast of Kyoto. As the temple's founder Dogen prescribed, the core practice is zazen: simply sitting to calm the mind and examine one's self. Most of the 150 monks are in their 20's. They live at the temple, devoting themselves to uninterrupted Zen practice. With unprecedented access inside this remarkable temple, where Dogen's teachings have been practiced unchanged for over 770 years, the program follows the monks' lives over the course of 6 months.

Available until January 13, 2019

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-14-2019, 12:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Koki
    • Apr 2017

I watched this a little earlier today and found it very interesting.

I especially liked the cook!

Gassho
    Frank
    Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Geika
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jan 2010

Bookmarked! Hope I can get to it while it is still up.

Sat today, lah
      求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
      I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Chishou
        • Aug 2017

It is say it is not available anymore, I must now sit with this sadness.

Love and bows,
        Chishou.
        Sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Comment

• Washin
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Dec 2014

No longer available for me too. I'll look forward to the next possibility some day

Gassho,
          Washin
          st
          Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
          Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
          ----
          I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
          and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Jundo
            • Apr 2006

I have locked the thread because, alas, the video is now not available. Buddha was right about impermanence. However, maybe it will return sometime.

Gassho, J

STLah
            Last edited by Jundo; 01-14-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Jundo
              I have locked the thread because, alas, the video is now now available. Buddha was right about impermanence. However, maybe it will return sometime.

Gassho, J

STLah
              Hey Jundo,

Is this the video that was removed? This is a Japanese version, but a lovely showing of monks at Eiheiji.=)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Gassho
              Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

No, Shingen, different video. I mean, same monks doing what they have done for 800 years, but rather different from the NHK one which used very nice new cameras.

I hope they bring it back. It will probably reappear one of these days.

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Jundo
                  No, Shingen, different video. I mean, same monks doing what they have done for 800 years, but rather different from the NHK one which used very nice new cameras.

I hope they bring it back. It will probably reappear one of these days.
                  Thanks Jundo ... Hopefully that will be back up and running. =)

Gassho
                  Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

Working...