Bernie Glassman, 1939 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nindo

It seems to be available as a recording at the link posted.
    Gassho
    Nindo
    s.t.

Comment

• Geika
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Nindo
      It seems to be available as a recording at the link posted.
      Gassho
      Nindo
      s.t.
      Thank you for letting me know, I didn't try!

Sat today, lah
      求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
      I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

CNN has a beautiful article on Bernie Glassman ...

An American Zen Master has died: An oral history of Roshi Bernie Glassman
        By Daniel Burke, CNN Religion Editor

Glassman, who died November 4 at age 79, was a Brooklyn-born Jew, a recognized Zen master, a Buddhist trailblazer, a restless mensch and a serial plunger.
        Glassman plunged into aeronautical engineering, into Zen, into leading a Buddhist community, into running a bakery, into growing that bakery into a constellation of social services, into holding spiritual retreats among the homeless and at Holocaust-haunted concentration camps, into writing a book of koans with a Hollywood star, into mourning when his second wife died and into learning to walk and talk again two years ago after a stroke.

The plunges, as Glassman called them, served a spiritual purpose: to uproot preconditioned ideas, bear witness to what's going on and serve those most in need. At a time when many American Buddhists preferred self-development to social engagement, Glassman dismissed "mannequin meditation" and carried his Zen practice from clean-aired monasteries to chaotic city streets, where he led weeklong retreats on sidewalks and in crowded parks.

"Bernie was very clear that meditation was not a refuge from life," said Roshi Eve Myonen Marko, Glassman's third wife. "For him, meditation was total engagement."

https://us.cnn.com/2018/11/30/us/ber...ter/index.html
        Gassho, J

STLah
        Last edited by Jundo; 12-01-2018, 04:26 PM.
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Geika
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Jan 2010

Lovely, thank you for sharing. He was a master.

Gassho, sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
          I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Washin
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Dec 2014

Great article! Thank you for sharing

Gassho
            Washin
            stlah
            Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
            Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
            ----
            I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
            and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Mp

Lovely writeup, thank you for sharing. =)

Gassho
              Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Ryushi
                • Jan 2018

I was up last night, couldn't sleep, watching YouTube. One video was Jeff Bridges going through all his roles. When it came to The Big Lebowski, he said this:

A friend of mine, Bernie Glassman, who happened to be a Zen master said, 'You realize in many circles The Dude is considered a Zen master.'

I said, 'What are you talking about? We never talked spirituality, Buddhism, or none of that.'

He said, 'Oh, yeah. Who wrote and directed the film? THE KOAN BROTHERS.'

A koan are these zen questions like what's the sound of one hand clapping, these sort of things. He said, 'That movie, The Big Lebowski, is filled with modern day koans.'

I say, 'Really?'

He says, 'Sure. Like, "the Dude abides", that's a very Buddhist kind of thought. Or, 'That's just like your opinion, man'
                Sat today. Gassho.

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

Comment

Working...