• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: To all nervous sewers

Hi Guys,

I hope to have diagrams of the "Nyoho-e" rakusu sewing pattern in the coming day or so (I need to scan it into the computer). We will also start to collect all the various tips and hints into a single file of sewing instructions, so please stand by.

As to the ring, Skye. Sounds fine to me. Shakyamuni Buddha instructed us to make our clothes from bits of discarded fabric, including from the cemetery. So, I think the ring works in that way.

Yes, originally, it was no more significant than a zipper ... something to keep your pants (or in this case, Kesa) on. However, of course, in the Buddhist world, it then took on every kind of significance as imaginative Buddhist teachers could think up ... that it holds together the universe, that it is a link in Indra's net, that it is form (the donut) and emptiness (the donut hole) ... you name it. It is much like the Enso ...

So, I think it is fine ... so long as the little spikes don't rip the cloth, and so long as it is not too heavy as to pull down on the cloth on one side. The wooden and plastic rings are very light, so they don't tug on the cloth. Also, you will have to check the diameter of the hole, and make sure that you can tie the cloth in there as it should be tied.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• CinnamonGal
      • Apr 2008

Jundo,

Thanks for the picture of the rings, they don't look that scary at all and I like the idea of the natural materials (ivory, wood).
      Someone kindly posted a shopping link somewhere in the forum.

Standing by,

Gassho,

Irina
      http://appropriteresponse.wordpress.com

Comment

• will
        • Jun 2007

Will we be sewing the rakusu together as a group in the Zen hall or individually?

Gassho
        [size=85:z6oilzbt]
        To save all sentient beings, though beings are numberless.
        To penetrate reality, though reality is boundless.
        To transform all delusion, though delusions are immeasurable.
        To attain the enlightened way, a way non-attainable.
        [/size:z6oilzbt]

Comment

• chessie
          • Jun 2008

A few miscellaneous thoughts on various points:
          Skye, regarding the gear-ed ring, I think this would, considering that the fabric is some type of cotton probably, would if not rip it, then fray it quickly. I was thinking this morning, and perhaps you could wrap two portions (top and bottom?) of the gear with natural jute twine. this would cover the gears where the fabric wraps around, and still be a natural look and material. It also leaves the sides unwrapped, so the original toothed look of the gear shows.

I was also thinking that embroidery thread would be nice for the pine twig. Or, perhaps a light-weight crochet cotton. Either of these, however, would require another needle with a larger eye-hole. I don't know if the thread for the pine twig is supposed to be the same as what is used to construct the garment--someone else should speak to the authenticity required here. It seems as tho a slightly thicker 'thread' would show better.

Since some of us are considering using a green fabric, then the green thread for the pine twig won't show. I was wondering if we could sew the twig onto a separate patch of black or white (brown, beige--different contrasting solid color), and then sew that patch onto the neck strap.

Gassho, and deferring to those who know more about the garment than I do, ann

Comment

• lindabeekeeper
            • Jan 2008

Or perhaps we could use a lighter green or even black (pine tree at night) for the embroidery.

No doubt having the instructions will help. Jundo, you can't say we aren't enthusiastic!

Gassho,

Linda

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by lindabeekeeper
              Or perhaps we could use a lighter green or even black (pine tree at night) for the embroidery.

No doubt having the instructions will help. Jundo, you can't say we aren't enthusiastic!

Gassho,

Linda
              Actually, I am trying to let things cool down a little. If everyone's in a hurry, I say "slow down". If everyone's slow, I say "speed up"!

But no rush, nothing to attain or achieve. Rev. Taigu will be to Treeleaf Tsukuba in about 10 days to film his talks, and we will have it all worked out by that time.

Neither be attached to your Rakusu, nor be afraid of what it takes to make one.

Will we be sewing the rakusu together as a group in the Zen hall or individually?
              I am thinking "individually", but we will have some regularly scheduled "sewing circles" in the "meeting room", plus the recorded talks by various folks. Ros, do you have a camera on your computer? It would be lovely if I could get you "on the air"?

Gassho, Jundo
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• John
                • Sep 2007

Re: pine pattern. When I sewed my Rakusu last winter using the SFZC instructions, the pine pattern had to show on both sides, so you started and finished in the middle between the straps. I also had to use double thread and keep both threads parallel, not twisted. There is no ring on this pattern.

This is just a comment - I wouldn't feel very confident about giving advice to others on sewing as I found it very difficult and needed a lot of help (and perseverance) when I got stuck trying to decipher the instructions. I had to resew a lot of stitches so found a stitch ripper-outer (or whatever they're called) very necessary.

Gassho,
                John

Comment

Working...