• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SATURDAY 8/4 with Author/Zen Teacher SUSAN MOON

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Soto Zen teacher, engaged Buddhist and authorSUSAN MOON will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk SATURDAY AUGUST 4th, LIVE from California and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Susan Moon ...

(Reigetsu) Susan Moon is a writer, editor, and lay teacher in the Soto Zen tradition. She is the author of a number of books about Buddhism, including the humor book The Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi and This Is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity. For many years she was the editor of Turning Wheel, the journal of socially engaged Buddhism. Her short stories and essays have been published widely. Sue has been a Zen student since 1976, practicing in the lineage of Suzuki Roshi at Berkeley Zen Center, Tassajara Zen Mountain Monastery, Green Gulch Farm, and now with Zoketsu Norman Fischer’s Everyday Zen sangha. She received “entrustment” as a lay teacher in 2005. She is a serious student of photography and the mother of two grown sons and the grandmother of three granddaughters. She lives in Berkeley, California.
    The festivities will begin at 8:00 AM CALIFORNIA TIME SATURDAY 8/4 (that is 11am in New York, London 4:00pm and Paris 5:00pm, all SATURDAY AUGUST, 4th).
    THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Susan Moon for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Susan is the author of several wonderful books, including This Is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity

In this intimate and funny collection of essays on the sometimes confusing, sometimes poignant, sometimes hilarious condition of being a woman over sixty, Susan Moon keeps her sense of humor and she keeps her reader fully engaged. Among the pieces she has included here are an essay on the gratitude she feels for her weakening bones; observations on finding herself both an orphan and a matriarch following the death of her mother; musings on her tendency to regret the past; thoughts on how not to be afraid of loneliness; appreciation for the inner tomboy; and celebratory advice on how to regard "senior moments" as opportunities to be in the here and now.
    It is a wonderful book, and for that reason, I have asked her to speak on practicing with aging bodies and various health issues. She has also written very openly about her past encounters as a Zen practitioner with depression ...

Her other books and parts of books include ...
    • The Hidden Lamp: Stories from 25 Centuries of Awakened Women, edited by Zenshin Florence Caplow and Reigetsu Susan Moon.
    • Not Turning Away: The Practice of Engaged Buddhism (Editor)
    • Risking Peace: Why We Sat in the Road, with Jackie Cabass
    • Being Bodies: Buddhist Women on the Paradox of Embodiment, with Lenore Friedman

Also, the HILARIOUS "The Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi" (Tofu Roshi—the fictional "Dear Abby" of Zen Buddhism—counsels his readers about their spiritual problems in this hilarious spoof of America's search for enlightenment. ) LINK

and more essays found on her webpage LINK

I would like to fill our hangout and show Susan a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo). It will be worth your time.

I will post immediately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome her! I believe this is his first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, so I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - It would be polite for those participating to offer a little donation to the teacher, and Susan has suggested a donation to this organization for peace ...

Last edited by Bion; 05-14-2024, 04:06 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    • Apr 2006

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout which will be on the Treeleaf Hangouts If there is additional demand, a few people will be on STANDBY for that group.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT(s), AND SHINGEN WILL SEND OUT INVITATIONS AND POST A LINK TO JOIN IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure the Susan Moon has gotten there). I draw names out of the hat. If there is big demand, I can open a second HANGOUT too.

The people for this group are (as of now):

1- Shoka
    2- Byokan
    3- Sean
    4- Shokai
    5- Troy
    6- Meitou
    7- Onkai
    8- Shingen
    9- Susan Moon
    10-Jundo

Folks not in the 2-way hangout can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen posted above in this thread.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Susan from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Susan, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Last edited by Jundo; 08-03-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Shinshi
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jul 2010

Thank you for arranging this Jundo. I will be there two way.
      ---

Editing to say that my wonderful wife just reminded me I am doing a clinic that day so I won't be able to participate 2-way.

Sorry to not be there live.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
      Last edited by Shinshi; 07-27-2018, 04:50 PM.
      空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
      I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
      E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Mp

Yes thank you Jundo ... Looking forward to this. I will be there live two way if there is space. =)

Gassho
        Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Just to clarify, August 4th is SATURDAY. We will have a 90 minute Zazen on Friday night 8/3 too.

Comment

• Washin
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Dec 2014

Thank you Jundo. I will participate one-way.

Gassho
            Washin
            sat
            Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
            Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
            ----
            I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
            and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Joyo

I'd love to join but unfortunately I have to take my aging body to work that day. I am very interested in what she has to say, and will definitely sit with the recording. Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
              Joyo
              sat today/lah

Comment

• Jakuden
                • Jun 2015

I’m working too, sad to miss it. Looking forward to watching afterward!
                Gassho
                Jakuden
                SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

PS - It would be polite for those participating to offer a little donation to the teacher, and Susan has suggested a donation to this organization for peace ...

Comment

• newby_x86
                    • Dec 2017

Thank you for making this happen, Jundo.

Anant,
                    Sat/LaH

Comment

• Onkai
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo. I'm looking forward to this event, whether one-way or two-way.

Gassho,
                      Onkai
                      Sat
                      美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                      恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Shinshi
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Jundo

Well, since I wanted to participate I donated.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                        空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                        I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
                        E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Meitou
                          • Feb 2017

I'll be there, hopefully two way if there is room (I've PM'd you Jundo)
                          Gassho
                          Meitou
                          Satwithyoualltoday lah
                          命 Mei - life
                          島 Tou - island

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

I would like to give this a bump, still good seats available ...

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Comment

• Kyonin
                              Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                              • Oct 2010

Hi Jundo,

I will be working on Saturday morning. Won't be able to attend

Gassho,

Kyonin
                              Sat/LAH
                              Hondō Kyōnin
                              奔道 協忍

Comment

Working...