• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

The Ancient Mahayana Hokey-Pokey Paramita Ritual

Dear All,

Some of you might not know that each month, about midway during our long Zazenkai when folks need a stretch, we engage in an ancient and esoteric Buddhist Ceremony known in Sanskrit as the "Hokey Pokey" (होकेय् पोकेय्, in Pali language, the "Hokey Cokey"). The meaning of "Hokey Pokey" is now lost in the fog of time, so many treat it as a powerful Dharani, or possibly a Mantra signifying "That's What's It's All About."

Several scholars, with too much time on their hands, link the movements with various Mudra and Yogic postures, as shown in this "wrathful" Tibetan Hokey Pokey (known there as the ཧོཀེཡ་པོཀེཡ )

One always circumambulates to the right as a reminder that we should walk the right path by leading a righteous life.(not the left unless engaged in certain "left handed" Tantra Hokey Pokey rituals, many now banned). The hand gestures may also be connected to Taoist elements, as shown in this rarely seen manuscript of the little known Tang Dynasty "Hokey Pokey Sect" of Chan (后旗裒旗禪宗) ...

This month's has a special guest teacher join us to lead. Please dance with us from home in this auspicious ritual guaranteed to bring you good health and good fortune, or at least, a smile.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH (Hokey Pokey'd today too)

PS - The rest of our Zazenkai is here ...

Today's Talk is based on some pages of Master Dogen's Diary of his Travels in China "HOKYOKI" (text below) Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-04-2018, 02:24 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Shinshi
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Jul 2010

That was beautiful. No other words.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Ryudo
      • Nov 2015

Gassho, Ryudo
      SatToday
      流道
      Ryū Dou

Comment

• Mp

I do love the Hokey Pokey tradition. =)

Gassho
        Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Eishuu

Gassho
          Eishuu
          ST/LAH

Comment

• Tairin
            • Feb 2016

泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Meitou
              • Feb 2017

Sacred ritual

Meitou

Satwithyoualltoday&lah
              命 Mei - life
              島 Tou - island

Comment

• Rendulic
                • Mar 2018

It is interesting to note that the Hokey Pokey ritual frequently uses the mudra communicating "no harm" as we are to engage in the dance, or "lila," without harm to our fellow beings.

Thank you, and may we now consider this having been given an "empowerment?" (Kidding, of course)

Gassho, Michael
                SatToday LAH

Comment

• Tai Shi
                  • Oct 2014

I almost wish there were little emoticons for our comments on our Forum because I would use the heart shape and the ha, ha shape, and the like shape; these deserve all three. Hokey Pokey I remember from grade school, and I am 66. Fot our Zazenkai I would use a solumn emoticon.

Tai Shi
                  st/lah
                  Gassho
                  Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Seishin
                    • Aug 2016

One day I will shake off my self conscious and join in with you folks. As to tradition, it could be derived from a extremely slowed down Whirling Dervish ritual

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
                    Shin - Heart

Comment

Working...