X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rakurei
    • Jan 2017

"Embracing the Gift of Stillness"

Hi Sangha,

I recently listened to a tremendous podcasts from Upaya Zen Center given by KeiDo Troy Fernandez.

In it he mentions an article in The New Yorker entitled: Improving Ourselves to Death, the article discusses the Self Improvement craze, and while well-meaning, is really profiting on making us feel as if we aren't good enough, as if we always have something to improve.

I am suggesting you listen to the entire podcast (The New Yorker article is only briefly mentioned), but as someone who works in an industry where self-improvement gurus are beloved, here are some highlights of the article:

In our current era of non-stop technological innovation, fuzzy wishful thinking has yielded to the hard doctrine of personal optimization. Self-help gurus need not be charlatans peddling snake oil. Many are psychologists with impressive academic pedigrees and a commitment to scientific methodologies, or tech entrepreneurs with enviable records of success in life and business. What they’re selling is metrics. It’s no longer enough to imagine our way to a better state of body or mind. We must now chart our progress, count our steps, log our sleep rhythms, tweak our diets, record our negative thoughts—then analyze the data, recalibrate, and repeat.
    Where success can be measured with increasing accuracy, so, too, can failure. On the other side of self-improvement, Cederström and Spicer have discovered, is a sense not simply of inadequacy but of fraudulence. In December, with the end of their project approaching, Spicer reflects that he has spent the year focussing on himself to the exclusion of everything, and everyone, else in his life. His wife is due to give birth to their second child in a few days; their relationship is not at its best. And yet, he writes, “I could not think of another year I spent more of my time doing things that were not me at all.” He doesn’t feel like a better version of himself. He doesn’t even feel like himself. He has been like a man possessed: “If it wasn’t me, who was it then?”
    And Brinkmann does offer some advice that seems immediately worth taking. Go for a walk in the woods, he says, and think about the vastness of the cosmos. Go to a museum and look at art, secure in the knowledge that it will not improve you in any measurable way. Things don’t need to be of concrete use in order to have value. Put away your self-help guides, and read a novel instead. Don’t mind if I do.
    I'll admit the article can get a bit heady. It compares a few differing philosophies and writers. The overall point rang very true to me - we're constantly being force fed "how to be better". Sure, some of it is fine, but of course - middle path.

As someone who has been thrown into the hilarious dance of running a large and rapidly growing marketing company - all of his podcast resonates with me. I loved KeiDo's stories of leaving a major Fortune 500 company, his stories of bring a zafu into the office and his manageble tips for bringing awareness off of the Zafu.

He also has some great stories of him and his aging grandmother - who helped one another find comfort in awareness.

You can find the podcast here, though if you don't want to insert your email (it's for Upaya's newsletter, not bad tbh), it's available free on iTunes as well.

Gassho, Gassho,

I genuinely hope you're all having a great weekend.

-ST/LAH

Rakurei
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Thank you. I will have a listen and a read.

I would say that Shikantaza is a "non-self help" program, helping us realize our "non-self."

One way is to drop away all thought of metrics and measures, judgments of big and small, full or lack, and even sickness and health or life and death ... we are a shining jewel just as we are, with not one drop to add or take away ...

... all as we also get on the scale and avoid the extra chocolate cake because being too big is sometimes bad for our health.

It is perhaps a "self-non-self help" program.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-10-2018, 01:08 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Mp

Thank you Rakurel, I too will have a listen and read. =)

Gassho
      Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Rendulic
        • Mar 2018

Thank you, Rakurei, for the reference. It's a great listen on my commute and travels. There is pervasive pressure to always be better and it's nice to see some mitigation of that impulse, back towards a center.

Gassho, Rendulic
        Sat Today

Comment

• Jakuden
          • Jun 2015

I will look for this one on my podcast app, thanks! Yes interesting, some of us who ended up here probably have spent part of our lives in the self-help section, LOL! Only to find out the answer is that even as we "improve," there is nothing that needs improving!

Gassho,
          Jakuden
          SatToday/LAH

Comment

• Rakurei
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Jakuden
            I will look for this one on my podcast app, thanks! Yes interesting, some of us who ended up here probably have spent part of our lives in the self-help section, LOL! Only to find out the answer is that even as we "improve," there is nothing that needs improving!

Gassho,
            Jakuden
            SatToday/LAH
            Thanks Jakuden - ah yes, I'm definetly one of those! Ha. A billion dollar industry to tell us we aren't good enough - it's a bit frightening, a bit funny. Upaya has many great podcasts, happy to trade podcast recommendations in messages!

ST,

Rakurei

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Hi Rakurei,

That podcast on stopping from our chase for "self improvement" is very wise, I think. Such an important lesson for today. Our Shikantaza Practice is medicine for this constant chase, as we sit as the "Jewel of What Is." One can do what needs to be done, fix what needs to be fixed, make things better ... all while knowing the Jewel in which there is nothing in need of doing, never a thing to fix.

Here is the link again.

Episode Description: In this talk, KeiDo Troy Fernandez invites us to quiet ourselves in the midst of our culture of self improvement and discover the freedom of stillness. In our society’s constant…

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
              Last edited by Jundo; 04-17-2018, 01:51 AM.
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kokuu
                Treeleaf Priest
                • Nov 2012

Thank you, Rakurei! That sounds like a really good listen.

Self-improvement can end up being a bit of a hamster wheel and media everywhere seems to be telling us how to do more in less time and improve our looks, skills, confidence and numerous other things.

Of course, wanting to better yourself is not a bad thing to want to do, but the advice to take a walk in the woods and think about the cosmos or go see some art sounds like a very good thing. I would put shikantaza in the same category of putting everything down for a while and recognising the already perfectness of the universe.

Gassho
                -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Ugrok
                  • Sep 2014

Upaya really rocks. They have very good podcasts (recommending the whole "Revealing Nagarjuna" class by John Dunne for anyone interested in emptiness, for example). Thanks for this one, i'll listen to it asap.

Gassho,

Uggy,
                  Sat today

Comment

• Billy
                    • Apr 2017

Thank you for posting this.

I loved the part about his grandmother's wisdom at the end and the poem he cited. That poem (or whatever it was) really struck me.

Gassho,
                    SatToday
                    Billy

Comment

• Rakurei
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Billy
                      Thank you for posting this.

I loved the part about his grandmother's wisdom at the end and the poem he cited. That poem (or whatever it was) really struck me.

Gassho,
                      SatToday
                      Billy
                      Very much so, such a touching piece.

Comment

• Tom
                        • Jan 2013

seeking podcasts recommendations

Originally posted by Rakurei
                        Thanks Jakuden - ah yes, I'm definetly one of those! Ha. A billion dollar industry to tell us we aren't good enough - it's a bit frightening, a bit funny. Upaya has many great podcasts, happy to trade podcast recommendations in messages!

ST,

Rakurei
                        I'm very much in the market for podcast recommendations. Any tips much appreciated,

Gassho,

SAT, LAH.

Comment

• Jakuden
                          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Tom
                          I'm very much in the market for podcast recommendations. Any tips much appreciated,

Gassho,

SAT, LAH.
                          A lot of us listen to Domyo Burke’s Zen studies Podcast. I also listen to ZMM’s podcasts, but many of those are about Koans because they do Koan study there.

Gassho
                          Jakuden
                          SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Shugen
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tom

Gassho,

SAT, LAH.
                            Hello Tom,

If type "Podcast" in the search function, several threads come up. (I'm not at my computer or I'd add some links)

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Meido Shugen
                            明道 修眼

Comment

• Meitou
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Ugrok
                              Upaya really rocks. They have very good podcasts (recommending the whole "Revealing Nagarjuna" class by John Dunne for anyone interested in emptiness, for example). Thanks for this one, i'll listen to it asap.

Gassho,

Uggy,
                              Sat today
                              I love Upaya's podcast's, I'm just about to start on a John Dunne series too. Thank you for this recommendation Rakurei, it's on my to-listen-to list.
                              Gassho
                              Meitou
                              satwithyoualltoday/lah
                              命 Mei - life
                              島 Tou - island

Comment

Working...