Our New Video - When To Bow During Treeleaf Zazenkai

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meitou
    • Feb 2017

Thank you Jundo and Shinshi, great work. One thing has always surprised me about the long bow when the names of our teachers are read is that we don't continue to bow for Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. Why is that?
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Meitou
      Thank you Jundo and Shinshi, great work. One thing has always surprised me about the long bow when the names of our teachers are read is that we don't continue to bow for Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. Why is that?
      Gassho
      Meitou
      Satwithyoualltoday lah
      Well, ah, hmmm, ya see .... Maybe old Roshis with bad backs?

Just to be sure, I just rechecked some Ceremonies of other Lineages, such as this from San Francisco (from 15:55 mark here). While there is some variation in style, they seem to do so as well. Perhaps it is the difference between a specific dedication to the individuals, and a more universal dedication.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
      Last edited by Jundo; 03-14-2018, 12:38 AM.
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• moshezhang88
        • Apr 2016

Thank you Jundo Roshi.
        i was one of the ones who was zigging instead of zagging
        Super helpful!

Do jie sai!

Might i ask a question about left foot/right foot?
        Entering the zendo is always with the left foot first, and starting kinhin is with the right foot first? Want to be sure
        I know it might be nitpicking, but want to practice it right for the day that i can sit in the zendo in Japan.... someday.

Gassho
        Shou An
        sat today
        Last edited by moshezhang88; 03-14-2018, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by moshezhang88

Might i ask a question about left foot/right foot?
          Entering the zendo is always with the left foot first, and starting kinhin is with the right foot first? Want to be sure
          I know it might be nitpicking, but want to practice it right for the day that i can sit in the zendo in Japan.... someday.

Gassho
          Shou An
          sat today
          When in Rome, sit (and enter the Dojo) as the Romans do.

The official "Soto-shu" webpage says ...

Entering the zendo: Hold your hands in shashu position and step forward with your left foot at the left side of the entrance. When leaving the zendo, step out with your right foot at the same side of the entrance. Only the abbot of the monastery may enter the hall from the middle of the entrance.

After entering the hall, bow in gassho toward the altar and go to your seat. As a sign of respect, you should refrain from walking in front of the statue of Manjushri Bodhisattva. Rather, you should walk around behind the image. When walking, keep your hands in the shashu position.
          https://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng...zazen/manners/
          Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Washin
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Dec 2014

Thank you, Jundo,
            Thank you, Shinshi.

Gassho
            Washin
            st
            Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
            Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
            ----
            I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
            and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Chishou
              • Aug 2017

I’m curious as to why It is considered disrespectful to walk in front on Manjushri.

Chishou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Comment

• Meitou
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Jundo
                Well, ah, hmmm, ya see .... Maybe old Roshis with bad backs?

Just to be sure, I just rechecked some Ceremonies of other Lineages, such as this from San Francisco (from 15:55 mark here). While there is some variation in style, they seem to do so as well. Perhaps it is the difference between a specific dedication to the individuals, and a more universal dedication.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
                I can see the logic in that, thank you Jundo.
                Gassho
                Meitou
                Satwithyoualltoday
                命 Mei - life
                島 Tou - island

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Chishou
                  I’m curious as to why It is considered disrespectful to walk in front on Manjushri.

Chishou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I am fairly sure that it is just traditional Asian ideas of respect, don't walk in front of the King or Teacher and such.

Gassho, J

StLah

Comment

• Seishin
                    • Aug 2016

Thank you Jundo for the clarification, I still have that question on the "stutter bow" the third of the three primary bows ie ching ching ching-ching but these days ignore it and avoid bobbing up and down - curiously as done in the video but not all zazenkai.

Great editing by Shinshi and the banner text was really useful. There's a lot here that could be incorporated into future video lessons BUT the flute intro/outr MUST be retro fitted to all existing lessons. Ok so I blame Kwai Chang Caine aka David Carradine which who knows may have led me here in the first place. Only the Grasshopper knows that answer.
                    Time for me to leave.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
                    Shin - Heart

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Seishin
                      Thank you Jundo for the clarification, I still have that question on the "stutter bow" the third of the three primary bows ie ching ching ching-ching but these days ignore it and avoid bobbing up and down - curiously as done in the video but not all zazenkai.
                      You may have spotted just my personal habit, although I am sure that I learned this at Sojiji many years ago. Some folks, in the Three Prostrations, offer a small bow at the waist before heading down to the ground each of the three times. Some just head to the ground without the extra little bow. I am sure that I followed some folks being a bit more pronounced on third Prostration to match the "double ring" of the bell. However, I cannot find other examples of this, so it may just be my bad habit.

You can see Okumura Roshi offer the extra little bow during Prostrations at the 30 second mark here:

9 integrantes de la Comunidad Soto Zen de Colombia, recibieron del Maestro Shohaku Okumura Roshi los preceptos budistas. Parab más información búsquenos en w...

By the way, I have everyone offering Standing Bows in our Video, but someone can Prostrate if they wish.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Jakuden
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Seishin

Great editing by Shinshi and the banner text was really useful. There's a lot here that could be incorporated into future video lessons BUT the flute intro/outr MUST be retro fitted to all existing lessons. Ok so I blame Kwai Chang Caine aka David Carradine which who knows may have led me here in the first place. Only the Grasshopper knows that answer.
                        Time for me to leave.
                        Sorry to hijack this with irrelevant info, but this is a blast from the past. When I was really little, the first thing I did at the mall was to drag my mother by the hand to the window of the store that had this bird so I could watch it rock back and forth and eventually take a drink. Eventually I saw it up close and was already scientifically fascinated by how it worked. Lol

Gassho,
                        Jakuden
                        SatToday and now will think of this bird while bowing

Comment

• Souchi
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Jakuden
                          Sorry to hijack this with irrelevant info, but this is a blast from the past. When I was really little, the first thing I did at the mall was to drag my mother by the hand to the window of the store that had this bird so I could watch it rock back and forth and eventually take a drink. Eventually I saw it up close and was already scientifically fascinated by how it worked. Lol

Gassho,
                          Jakuden
                          SatToday and now will think of this bird while bowing
                          Well, this is even more off topic, but you might like this music box with singing birds as well

"Curiously", this is one of the few German segments of the Curiosity Show on YouTube. The first part explains the principle of the whistle and the second how the bird cage works.

Gassho,
                          Souchi

SatToday

Comment

Working...