X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babyleaf
    • Jan 2018

Zen and daily life

Hello everyone,

I was curious about what people's approach towards everyday life is from a Zen perspective. In the popularized teaching of mindfulness these days, I feel the general teaching is to incorporate that mindfulness into our daily activities. However, I don't think I've seen much written or talked about on the "daily life" topic in the circle of Zen.

I don't necessarily believe in having instructions on how to live, but I sometimes wonder if I'm incorporating what I learn through Shikantaza as I step off my cushion...

Gassho
    Gaby
    SatToday
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Hi Gaby,

Personally, I would say that applying these Teachings and Shikantaza Mind to daily life is much of what we actually do talk about around here.

I will give a couple of quick examples. When I had my cancer diagnosis last year, from the doctors' waiting rooms to the surgery and recovery, all was a big application of Zazen where life's rubber meets the road. I also found other Practices very beautiful, such as offering Metta and Tonglen to the other people in the waiting rooms and hospital, rather than just focusing on my stuff.

Well, packing for the hospital in the morning, as the great Cancer Ango takes me to the operating room the next day. As we close our Rohatsu (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) Retreat in our Sangha, all goes on. Our Sangha, and people near and far, have been Practicing with me through this ... Thank you all for the many good wishes

and
    Hey Guys, A lot of waiting in waiting rooms this past month, waiting for the big pronouncements from the doctors. Three wondrous Practices have help me sit here ... ... Just Sitting Shikantaza, as What Is, in Peace, Wholeness, Equanimity, letting All Flow through and as one ... nothing more needed, nothing to "wait"

Also, I very much encourage folks to apply Shikantaza Mind many times during the day, in all kinds of situations, sitting standing or riding the bus ... especially when the "Samsara S*** hits the Fan" .... (the © here is just for humor) ...

Introducing Insta-Zazen! © I often say that true Zazen is not a matter of sitting, standing, walking, running, floating in a pond or flying through the air. ALL OF LIFE, each instant and every action, is “Zazen” when lived as such, with the same vigorous, sincere stance of “attaining non-attaining,” and vibrant “doing non

I am the type who gets "edgy" when the grocery line is too long, there is a traffic jam when I am late, when it rains on my picnic. About 35 years of Zen Practice have let me be much better at "flowing" with all that. I still have my tendency to "edge," but I quickly become more "round" and roll with it.

For example, the story I like to tell is my two flat tires, both in the rain when I was late for an important in a business suit, about 10 years apart. In the first case, I changed the tire but was mad at the tire, mad at fate, and late. In the second case, I still had to change the tire and be late ... but I bowed to the tire and enjoyed the rain.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

PS - Just after I posted the above, my computer crashed! First came the edge ... and then the rolling flow ...
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-07-2018, 01:55 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jakuden
      • Jun 2015

Hi Gaby,

I struggled for awhile with similar feelings, now looking back, I think it was just that I didn't understand yet just how inseparable life and practice are. It starts to sink in eventually, but I'm sure the time it takes is different for everyone. I still often catch myself rushing through something I am doing with mind elsewhere, feeling that need to move on to something more important, forgetting that I am already just doing what needs doing and that is good enough. It's more than just mindfulness, it's that the task or situation is complete and whole in itself at that moment.

Gassho,
      Jakuden
      SatToday/LAH

Comment

• Kokuu
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Nov 2012

It's more than just mindfulness, it's that the task or situation is complete and whole in itself at that moment.

Hi Gaby!

A book I like on this subject is How to Cook Your Life by Uchiyama Roshi. It is a commentary on Dogen's 'Instructions for the Zen Cook' (Tenzo kyokun) but is very good advice for daily life.

We treat all things as the ingredients to go into a meal, with respect and gratitude, each moment and action being important just by virtue of being itself.

Gassho
        Kokuu
        -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Getchi
          • May 2015

Thankyou

GAssho
          Geoff

SatToday / LaH
          Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Comment

• Kyonin
            Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
            • Oct 2010

Hi Gaby.

I wish I could say a lot about this. But the more I sit zazen, I feel more at peace and united with life... There are things I don't like. There are things I like. But in those cases "like" and "don't" like are just human words for life unfolding and being life.

So I just wake up, have a cup of coffee, do yoga, sit zazen, work, take care of my family, read a book... and I am at peace with it all.

A few days ago I was in a crazy hectic city with tons of crime, pollution, low quality food, corrupted politicians and cops... and I was at peace with it all.

In the morning I had a marzipan and it's sweetness and flavor filled the universe for a couple of minutes. No past, no future. Only marzipan.

Right now I am listening to electronic music and typing. And I feel complete and at peace.

I guess this could be zen and daily life?

Gassho,

Kyonin
            Sat/LAH
            Hondō Kyōnin
            奔道 協忍

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Beautiful responses from all above.

I am fortunate to have "students" who often express things better than the "teacher."

Gassho, J

STLah
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Shokai
                Treeleaf Priest
                • Mar 2009

If the Teacher hasn't taught the student didn't learn. I think you've done a wonderful job.
                You may now take another bow.

gassho, Shokai
                合掌,生開
                gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Shokai
                  If the Teacher hasn't taught the student didn't learn. I think you've done a wonderful job.
                  You may now take another bow.

gassho, Shokai
                  Yuppers, I second that! =)

Gassho
                  Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• moyomoy
                    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Kokuu

Hi Gaby!

A book I like on this subject is How to Cook Your Life by Uchiyama Roshi. It is a commentary on Dogen's 'Instructions for the Zen Cook' (Tenzo kyokun) but is very good advice for daily life.

We treat all things as the ingredients to go into a meal, with respect and gratitude, each moment and action being important just by virtue of being itself.

Gassho
                    Kokuu
                    -sattoday/lah-
                    Thanks for sharing! Working as a chef I can relate to this idea more! Will definitely buy the book.

Gassho
                    Moy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• babyleaf
                      • Jan 2018

I risk sounding a little too fluffy, but I am grateful to be part of this community where I'm surrounded by so many thoughtful people. All the responses above have left me a sense of inspiration...

So thank you Jundo, for clearly being such a great teacher! What you've created here is really something special. I wasn't fully aware of the illness you went through and I'm glad you recovered from it... I will definitely explore applying the Shikantaza Mind as I begin today. I haven't been doing Metta yet and I've never heard of Tonglen until now, but I may start with Metta to add to my daily practice.

Thank you Kokuu for the book suggestion! I'm excited to get my hands on a copy and disappear into it.

I still often catch myself rushing through something I am doing with mind elsewhere, feeling that need to move on to something more important, forgetting that I am already just doing what needs doing and that is good enough. It's more than just mindfulness, it's that the task or situation is complete and whole in itself at that moment.
                      Jakuden, this struck a chord in me. Thank you for this.

Wishing everyone a beautiful day.

Gassho
                      Gaby
                      SatToday

Comment

• Shinshi
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Kyonin
                        Hi Gaby.

I wish I could say a lot about this. But the more I sit zazen, I feel more at peace and united with life... There are things I don't like. There are things I like. But in those cases "like" and "don't" like are just human words for life unfolding and being life.

So I just wake up, have a cup of coffee, do yoga, sit zazen, work, take care of my family, read a book... and I am at peace with it all.

A few days ago I was in a crazy hectic city with tons of crime, pollution, low quality food, corrupted politicians and cops... and I was at peace with it all.

In the morning I had a marzipan and it's sweetness and flavor filled the universe for a couple of minutes. No past, no future. Only marzipan.

Right now I am listening to electronic music and typing. And I feel complete and at peace.

I guess this could be zen and daily life?

Gassho,

Kyonin
                        Sat/LAH
                        I came back to this to add my two cents but I found that Kyonin had already said everything I had meant to post, but in an even more thoughtful and deeper way.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                        空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                        I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
                        E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Shoki
                          • Apr 2015

Gaby,
                          For me it is like any practice or exercise. If I get out of breath going up 3 flights of stairs, I start riding my bike or going on a treadmill. After a few weeks I am no longer out of breath going up those stairs. After getting up from the zafu at first I found myself sort of falsely correcting myself. (I am a zen guy and I'm not supposed to think and act that way). Then after sitting and sitting and sitting, I no longer have to correct myself. My mind just started acting differently without thinking about it. Maybe everybody's brain is wired differently but that's my simple minded explanation.

Gassho LAH
                          Sat Today
                          James

Comment

• babyleaf
                            • Jan 2018

James,

That's really insightful...similar to what Jakuden said, just like there is no special way to sit when we do, there is no special way to go about life either. Everything is already complete and there isn't a special way to "do". And yet that in itself is profound.

Thank you.

Gassho
                            Gaby
                            SatToday

Comment

Working...