Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meitou
    • Feb 2017

Zen and the art of temple garden maintenance

Make some tea, pull up a chair and pass twenty minutes listening to Zen priests talking about temple gardens and how they relate to the whole enchilada.
    One priest defines Zen Buddhism as simply 'Doing the right thing right'
    Enjoy!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah

This is "film: View, Kyoto" by Jacqueline Hassink on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island
  • aprapti
    • Jun 2017

thanks, Meitou. that was very nice.

coos
    std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

That was just lovely .... (Ma space here) ....

We have a much simpler Japanese garden along the house here in Tsukuba, yet I still must bring in the professional gardener (and my 80 year old mother-in-law!) to give it some of the fine care it deserves to prune the trees and tend the delicate bushes.

This year, as Spring comes, I will try to offer a little more respect which it deserves.

Here it is today, looking a little worn and neglected during this cold winter. Time to clip and trim. That's the Zendo at the far back.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Garden.jpg
      Last edited by Jundo; 03-07-2018, 03:47 AM.
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Meitou
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Jundo
        That was just lovely .... (Ma space here) ....

We have a much simpler Japanese garden along the house here in Tsukuba, yet I still must bring in the professional gardener (and my 80 year old mother-in-law!) to give it some of the fine care it deserves to prune the trees and tend the delicate bushes.

This year, as Spring comes, I will try to offer a little more respect which it deserves.

Here it is today, looking a little worn and neglected during this cold winter. Time to clip and trim. That's the Zendo at the far back.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4981[/ATTACH]
        It's beautiful Jundo, I love those zafu like shrubs and that leaning tree in the foreground.
        Gardening is wonderful samu practice, very focused and calming, and as physical exercise it can be as rigorous or gentle as you make it. It's a good time for reflection too.
        I only have a tiny cortile, not much bigger than a balcony, but I really love looking after it, knowing the plants and seeing how the seasons transform them.
        Gassho
        Meitou
        Satwithyoualltoday lah
        命 Mei - life
        島 Tou - island

Comment

• Kotei
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Mar 2015

Thank you so much, Meitou, I enjoyed watching very much.
          Interesting to see the different approaches next to each other.

Regarding your 'small' garden space, you might want to google about 'Tsuboniwa', if not done already.
          Some are just the size of a tatami mat or two and still contain all of natures beauty, Japanese garden tranquility and such.
          They amaze me again and again.

Before learning about Zen, I fell in love with Japanese gardens. Found myself sitting still in such a garden, thoughts loosing their grip. Not knowing about Zazen.
          As time, money and garden space became available, I started creating my own reflection of such.
          More and more, after years of 'garden-discipline', I am starting to understand, that me and the garden is nothing separate. I mean, I knew this intellectually, but that is somehow something completely different.
          Imho, the only way of maintaining a quite large garden is to do it with a samu kind of mind.
          The approach to do it just with discipline and pressure did not work at all ;-).

There is a non-tellable secret about Zen, and also about Japanese gardening.
          No one can tell you. You have to experience and practice by yourself.
          Maybe my garden (it somehow feels not ok to call it 'my') shaped my self more, than I did the other way round.

I like the video below.
          It's about reflections on Japanese gardens from different artists and monks (not only temple gardens).
          It's a bit too much on the aesthetic side, but worth watching the full hour, when you're into J-gardening :-).

'The sounds of the stream splash out the Buddha's sermon.
          Don't say that the deepest meaning comes only from ones mouth.
          Day and night 80.000 poems arise one ofter the other
          and in fact, not a single word has ever been spoken.'
          Musō Soseki 1275-1351 (priest and garden designer of Tenryū-ji)

Dream Window: Reflections on the Japanese Garden. Experience a breathtaking journey through some of the most exquisite gardens in the world. Renowned for the...

Thank you,
          Gassho,
          Kotei (old garden) sat/lah today

p.s.: Your garden is very beautiful, Jundo.
          Last edited by Kotei; 03-07-2018, 09:51 AM. Reason: added poem of Muso
          義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Ryudo
            • Nov 2015

Thank you Meitou
            Thank you Kotei

I learned a lot today.

Gassho
            Ryudo
            SatToday
            流道
            Ryū Dou

Comment

• Meitou
              • Feb 2017

Kotei, thank you so much for this lovely post, I hadn't heard the term tsuboniwa before, I had a great time on Google looking at the most exquisite spaces, one garden was actually a window box which I was thrilled to see, it gave me so many ideas for how I could realistically create something in our garden which would be relatively safe from our four cats scratching about in it. I'd like to see your garden, have you posted any pictures of it?
              I've started watching the film, I need to pick it up again later when I can give it the time it deserves, but from what I've seen so far, it's beautiful, just the kind of thing I love.
              Thank you for posting.

Gassho
              Meitou
              satwithyoualltoday/lah/swept leaves
              命 Mei - life
              島 Tou - island

Comment

• Jinyo
                • Jan 2012

Thank you for this lovely thread - will be watching the longer film as well.
                Your garden is beautiful Jundo.

My garden is very important to me - it was the only outside space I was able to venture into during the worst years of my illness. It remains my solace
                and inspiration. Nature nurtures

Gassho

Jinyo

ST

Comment

• Kotei
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Meitou
                  I'd like to see your garden, have you posted any pictures of it?
                  Unfortunately, I fail completely, catching in a picture what I feel about the garden.
                  I stopped taking pictures. (Of course there are exceptions :-). Always, something important is missing.
                  There are the realms of time, change, feelings, (pre-used)material, metaphors and direct experience, that I am not able to catch at all.
                  It's so much more experiencing, than just viewing.

Hmm, showing some more and ranting about my thoughts in a thread in the Art forum is something I am considering.
                  This being said, here is a rough overview of about 1/2 of the total space (waterfall, rocks, stream and more (maybe the interior of the building at the pond, that belongs to the garden) will have to wait until spring :-) ).

The one, who is already content with his garden, does not deserve it.
                  Karl Förster (German garden-designer and plant breeder)

Kotei-ji ;-)
                  義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Washin
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Dec 2014

Beautiful!

Thank you, Meitou.
                    Thank you, Kotei.

Gassho
                    Washin
                    st
                    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                    ----
                    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Jinyo
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Kotei
                      Unfortunately, I fail completely, catching in a picture what I feel about the garden.
                      I stopped taking pictures. (Of course there are exceptions :-). Always, something important is missing.
                      There are the realms of time, change, feelings, (pre-used)material, metaphors and direct experience, that I am not able to catch at all.
                      It's so much more experiencing, than just viewing.

Hmm, showing some more and ranting about my thoughts in a thread in the Art forum is something I am considering.
                      This being said, here is a rough overview of about 1/2 of the total space (waterfall, rocks, stream and more (maybe the interior of the building at the pond, that belongs to the garden) will have to wait until spring :-) ).

The one, who is already content with his garden, does not deserve it.
                      Karl Förster (German garden-designer and plant breeder)

Kotei-ji ;-)
                      Wow - it's amazing - please post some more with your thoughts in the Art thread.

Gassho

Jinyo

ST

Comment

• Meitou
                        • Feb 2017

Wow, it's beautiful (and huge!) Don't stop taking photos, often other people find something in them that you may not have seen.
                        Gassho
                        Meitou
                        Satwithyoualltoday lah
                        命 Mei - life
                        島 Tou - island

Comment

• Seishin
                          • Aug 2016

Meitou

Finally got round to watching this fascinating and educational video. I started "building" an exterior zen garden/outdoor sitting area a while back but its not moved on that much. These clippings have shown me I need to maybe build a pergola type area for sitting and an extended zen garden around it. Much food for thought. I have many tree cuttings developing roots at the moment but am now thinking to extend this to hebe cuttings and the like to give some low level cover. Resiting to an area that gets east, south and west sun coverage also feels like a good way to go, so I might go back to the drawing board on this one. Thank you provoking so much thought and inspiration for my Jarden Zen Francais.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
                          Shin - Heart

Comment

• Geika
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Jan 2010

Loved it, thank you!

Gassho, sat today, lah
                            求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                            I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Meitou
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Seishin
                              Meitou

Finally got round to watching this fascinating and educational video. I started "building" an exterior zen garden/outdoor sitting area a while back but its not moved on that much. These clippings have shown me I need to maybe build a pergola type area for sitting and an extended zen garden around it. Much food for thought. I have many tree cuttings developing roots at the moment but am now thinking to extend this to hebe cuttings and the like to give some low level cover. Resiting to an area that gets east, south and west sun coverage also feels like a good way to go, so I might go back to the drawing board on this one. Thank you provoking so much thought and inspiration for my Jarden Zen Francais.
                              Seishin I'm reading this lovely book at the moment, it mainly deals with larger gardens - I can't quite fit a waterfall into my 8,50m x 2,5m cortile, but even so, it's an inspiring read. https://www.shambhala.com/the-sound-...-blossoms.html
                              Gassho
                              Meitou
                              Satwithyoualltoday
                              命 Mei - life
                              島 Tou - island

Comment

Working...