Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ugrok
    • Sep 2014

Hi !

I've been through the exact same thing during some time, i know the feeling, and the sort of "mind loop" ("how do i not try to get out of what i'm not supposed to try to get out of ?") that can make you dizzy !

Just stand up when the bell rings was my answer, and still is. All of this does not really matter, it's part of the practice... Once you've been struggling a bit with all this, you will get tired of it and it will drop off naturally. And come back. And drop off. Etc... No worries !

Gassho,

Uggy
    Sat today / LAH
    Last edited by Ugrok; 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Tai Shi
      • Oct 2014

Like you Jundo, about two weeks ago I had a total knee replacement. Unlike you Jundo, my replacement was quite different as he had cancer. I too had learn to walk again, Jundo faced a life treating situation. My PT told me I had made a speedy recovery not like the average patient. Some people take as long as six weeks to get to my point in recovery. With exercise and stretching, I have found myself upright, and like practice of sitting, persistence makes each step easier like in recovery the true stillness. So as for a few minutes to a few hours, sitting is the same result, that is to sit just like walking. We struggle with breathing or posture, or even hearing. Then one moment we reach Shikantaza. We are alone and quiet. It is a solitary place we have reached, for no one can do the point with us. So, we are alone yet perhaps with others.

Tai Shi
      sat today
      Gassho.
      Last edited by Tai Shi; 03-01-2018, 01:17 PM. Reason: grammar
      Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• babyleaf
        • Jan 2018

Hello,

Heisoku, I'm really glad you found something of value in this thread! I'll be revisiting that quote of Okumura...

And thank you Uggy for your advice! I said this before, but it's great to know that we share these experiences. I don't have a group I meet so it can feel a little alone at times along this journey, but with everyone's advice and support here at Treeleaf it feels less so.

Wishing everyone a pleasant day.

Gassho
        Gaby
        SatToday

Comment

• Kokuu
          Treeleaf Priest
          • Nov 2012

My PT told me I had made a speedy recovery not like the average patient. Some people take as long as six weeks to get to my point in recovery. With exercise and stretching, I have found myself upright, and like practice of sitting, persistence makes each step easier like in recovery the true stillness.
          That is good to hear, Tai Shi!

Gassho
          Kokuu
          -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Sekishi
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Tai Shi
            So as for a few minutes to a few hours, sitting is the same result, that is to sit just like walking. We struggle with breathing or posture, or even hearing. Then one moment we reach Shikantaza. We are alone and quiet. It is a solitary place we have reached, for no one can do the point with us. So, we are alone yet perhaps with others.
            I’m glad to hear recovery is going well my friend.

But I feel truly and completely that we are never alone. We are each different, with our own past and future, but never separate.

Nine bows,
            Sekishi
            #sat

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
            Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Comment

• SNPII
              • May 2018

Originally posted by babyleaf
              Hello everyone,

I'd love advice on sitting with confusion.

I have moments where I have no idea how to "go back to sitting". It's a bit of a psychologically uncomfortable state where I feel confused and worried. I get a little washed away by this type of experience and get caught in a loop of trying to go back to sitting but again, I have no idea how to, then I'm trying to go back to sitting but then I don't know how to, etc...

This has frequently lasted the whole session and I'm left feeling a little tense and confused. Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Thank you for reading.

Gassho
              Gaby
              SatToday
              I completely understand what you are saying “Babyleaf”. I am often finding that I am trying to be so perfect in my practice and study. Through staying connected and developing on a trial basis a few ways and experiencing the different ways it makes me feel. When it feels right it just does. Don’t stress it. Love the name man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              In Sincerity
              Shane

Comment

• Beldame
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Heisoku
                Hi all. Paradoxically I find this an inspirational thread. One that parallels what Okamura describes in Living by Vow (p192) when he realises that 'although our capability is sometimes severely limited, we can find the compassionate Buddha that allows us to practice, if even only a little' . [....]
                Gassho Heisoku
                Sattoday / LAH

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
                I had barely started a sitting practice earlier this year and fell of the wagon in a big way the last two months. Have returned to sitting & to Treeleaf to find this thread and this quote from Living by Vow, which I find rather wonderful.

Gassho--
                Deborah

SatToday

Comment

• SNPII
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by Beldame
                  I had barely started a sitting practice earlier this year and fell of the wagon in a big way the last two months. Have returned to sitting & to Treeleaf to find this thread and this quote from Living by Vow, which I find rather wonderful.

Gassho--
                  Deborah

SatToday
                  Gassho
                  Sat2day

In Sincerity
                  Shane
                  In Sincerity
                  Shane

Comment

Working...