X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jlharw
    • Jul 2017

Why Daily Practice?

Dear Jundo,

Do you have a talk or a post which explains why it is important for us to sit zazen on a daily basis? I have an instinctive sense that it is important but haven’t been able to articulate why. Knowing why would be helpful on those days when I’m tempted to skip zazen.

Gassho,
    Janis
    Gassho, Janis
  • Rich
    • Apr 2009

It's important to relax and just be with whatever you are. When the dust settles you can just sit with joy and ease.

SAT

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jlharw
      Dear Jundo,

Do you have a talk or a post which explains why it is important for us to sit zazen on a daily basis? I have an instinctive sense that it is important but haven’t been able to articulate why. Knowing why would be helpful on those days when I’m tempted to skip zazen.

Gassho,
      Janis
      Hi Janis,

There are at least two very important reasons:

First, we spend all day running around, busy chasing this and that, people to see, goals to achieve. One should take a little time each day with "no other place to go, nothing more in need of achieving". Are we so busy that we cannot spend a little time not being busy?

Second, it builds in our life. It is not unlike why I head to the gym, exercise, move that body each day. It is not unlike why I brush my teeth and wash my face each day. The stillness of "no other place to go, nothing more in need of achieving" gets into the bones. Then, as we run around with people to see and goals to achieve we ALSO know simultaneously the Wisdom of a Buddha's "no other place to go, nothing more in need of achieving."

Just as important is to also bring the Wisdom of a Buddha's "no other place to go, nothing more in need of achieving" into daily life each day, off the cushion. Don't forget this too:

- Zazen for Beginners (13) - Anywhere, Anytime INSTA-ZAZEN!©
      Introducing Insta-Zazen! © I often say that true Zazen is not a matter of sitting, standing, walking, running, floating in a pond or flying through the air. ALL OF LIFE, each instant and every action, is “Zazen” when lived as such, with the same vigorous, sincere stance of “attaining non-attaining,” and vibrant “doing non

(the © is a joke )

Very simple. Like brushing the teeth and washing the face.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jlharw
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jundo
        Hi Janis,

There are at least two very important reasons:

First, we spend all day running around, busy chasing this and that, people to see, goals to achieve. One should take a little time each day with "no other place to go, nothing more in need of achieving". Are we so busy that we cannot spend a little time not being busy?

Second, it builds in our life. It is not unlike why I head to the gym, exercise, move that body each day. It is not unlike why I brush my teeth and wash my face each day. The stillness of "no other place to go, nothing more in need of achieving" gets into the bones. Then, as we run around with people to see and goals to achieve we ALSO know simultaneously the Wisdom of a Buddha's "no other place to go, nothing more in need of achieving."

Just as important is to also bring the Wisdom of a Buddha's "no other place to go, nothing more in need of achieving" into daily life each day, off the cushion. Don't forget this too:

- Zazen for Beginners (13) - Anywhere, Anytime INSTA-ZAZEN![emoji767]
        Introducing Insta-Zazen! © I often say that true Zazen is not a matter of sitting, standing, walking, running, floating in a pond or flying through the air. ALL OF LIFE, each instant and every action, is “Zazen” when lived as such, with the same vigorous, sincere stance of “attaining non-attaining,” and vibrant “doing non

(the [emoji767] is a joke )

Very simple. Like brushing the teeth and washing the face.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
        Many thanks Jundo. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Gassho, Janis

Comment

Working...