Understanding Death

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich
    • Apr 2009

Enjoy your conscious awareness. THIS is more than you think.

Btw what were you before you were born?

SAT

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Risho
      • May 2010

Now - I think that is a key point, but I forget this time and again. Often times I live as if I have a guaranteed future; if there's anything this practice teaches, it's to live your life like this is it because it is. Does that mean that we go willy nilly and live a life of hedonism, YOLO and all of that nonsense? I don't think so; it means we dig in, face things, take care of now; if we know better, do better. Make your bed, workout, eat properly (these are things I would focus on myself); priorities differ for each of us, but what doesn't is that this is a gift and we shouldn't waste it.

Gassho

Rish
      Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Shinshou
        • May 2017

I agree with what Brad said about the freaking out, that there's a way to freak out without acting on it. But I would hate for anyone to think that being sad about a loved one dying...or even our own certain death...is equivalent to freaking out. It's not. Just my view.

Dan (Shinsho)
        Sat Today

Comment

• Shoki
          • Apr 2015

I do not fear death. 500 million years ago, before you were born did you sit around fearing birth and life? Me neither. I've heard people say; I would be afraid of death especially if there is no afterlife, no consciousness. That makes no sense to me. If you're not conscious then you wouldn't know anyway. Every single thing that ever lived is either dead or is going to die. So what are you going to do about it? Just live. I have a kind of "trust" in the universe. I guess it is human nature to think about it once in a while. But I see no sense in dwelling on it. As Bob Dylan sang: Where do you come from? Where do you go? Sorry that's nothing you would need to know.

Gassho LAH
          Sat Today
          James

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by James
            I have a kind of "trust" in the universe.
            I just read a thesis (I can't link to it) which discussed two kinds of "faith" or "trust" in Zen.

One is ordinary "trust" like a small infant to its mother: We may not understand much about what is going on, or who these shapes are that keep putting food in our mouth, yet we trust and allow it to happen, go with the flow. Not like we have much choice in the matter, but enjoy the ride.

But the other "faith" or "trust" in Zazen is really interesting, because it completely rewrites the usual sentence "I trust it" to remove the "I" and remove the object "it" and just leave the "trust" right through subject and object. That is cool.

It is appropriate to this topic of live and death, because what is "death" when we also remove the "I" and "it"?

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Doshin
              • May 2015

Doshin
              Stlah

Comment

• Risho
                • May 2010

how to remove the “I”? that is the trick

thank you Jundo

time to sit

gassho

rish
                Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Washin
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Dec 2014

But the other "faith" or "trust" in Zazen is really interesting, because it completely rewrites the usual sentence "I trust it" to remove the "I" and remove the object "it" and just leave the "trust" right through subject and object. That is cool.
                  Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                  Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                  ----
                  I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                  and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Getchi
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
                    Live a good and gentle life now. You are conscious now for sure.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Gas ho, thank you.

These last few years I have had to accept death after death after death. Many friends and dear family have perished, and every platitude has tung hollow.

Only now, after enough "time has passed" have I realized; this was always going to be. I too, soon enough, shall pass.

I'm reminded repititiously that wood is the time of wood, ash the time of ash. I get that.

Without tree leaf, I would have forgotten I am still wood.
                    I can not make the words to be clearer, but I pray and offer much Metta to Jizo, kuanying, and all brings who have suffered loss.

Gassho,
                    Geoff.

SatToday
                    LaH

An extra round of Metta too.

Thank you.
                    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Comment

Working...