Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myosha
    • Mar 2013

A favorite:
    During the late night sit a student "awakes". Infused with joy and accomplishment he hurries to the masters room. Pounding on the door he wakes Roshi, who answers. Student sputters, "I must tell you what happened while sitting."
    "No, you don't." And he shuts the door.

Gassho
    Myosha

sat today and lending a hand
    Last edited by Myosha; 01-31-2018, 11:50 PM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Christofer
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Myosha
      A favorite:
      During the late night sit a student "awakes". Infused with joy and accomplishment he hurries to the masters room. Pounding on the door he wakes Roshi, who answers. Student sputters, "I must tell you what happened while sitting."

Gassho
      Myosha

[emoji1317]

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Myosha
        A favorite:

Gassho
        Myosha

Our reason for this attitude needs a little explaining. I touched on it in my recent essay on two flavors of "meditation" ...

I might say, very broadly, that meditation falls into two patterns:

First, those methods, the vast majority, that seek enlightenment or some altered state of consciousness, perhaps seeking a state of Buddhahood somehow distant or apart.

Next, there are forms that radically halt all seeking, sitting as all Peace, Fullness and Completion with nothing more to attain.

... How strange it is to chase after an eventual sense of nothing more to chase. Better to simply realize the Completion of nothing more to chase. Especially these days in our goal and consumption oriented Western societies, the former kinds of meditation seeking for some goal may feed into the "spiritual materialism" that is driven by our modern, never satisfied consumerism and thrill oriented hungers that are always looking for the next high, the next wild experience, the next reward or acquisition. We don't know how to rest. still and totally Satisfied in the manner of a Buddha. We only know how to keep chasing chasing chasing.

In Shikantaza, one comes to put down the chase, to pause the race after the next acquisition. One learns to sit (and then, get up and live) in Total Wholeness and Satisfaction right here and now, with nothing more to attain. I think that is an important medicine to counter the "spiritual materialism" that always leaves us chasing after something more and more and more.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Seeking-Buddha
        Some folks come to meditation like they are rushing up a beautiful mountain to get to the shopping mall of "spiritual experiences" at the top, thereby missing the beauty and wonder of the mountain that is in every inch along the way. Our way is to rest thoroughly, and to realize that every step up and down Buddha Mountain is Buddha Mountain.

Along this path, one may have many good insights. Some last for a small time, then fade away. Some really stick to the bones and are with you for life. Some may sneak into the bones so subtly that one is not even aware of a single insight. All of these good insights are treasures (One knows a good insight from a harmful delusion simply by the wise and positive effect on one's life, like one knows good medicine from bad drugs). Our rule is cherish this, but don't chase after it. That is our way. I am glad that the reasons are so well understood by our folks here in this discussion.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAY
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Shinshi
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Jundo

Our reason for this attitude needs a little explaining. I touched on it in my recent essay on two flavors of "meditation" ...

Some folks come to meditation like they are rushing up a beautiful mountain to get to the shopping mall of "spiritual experiences" at the top, thereby missing the beauty and wonder of the mountain that is in every inch along the way. Our way is to rest thoroughly, and to realize that every step up and down Buddha Mountain is Buddha Mountain.

Along this path, one may have many good insights. Some last for a small time, then fade away. Some really stick to the bones and are with you for life. Some may sneak into the bones so subtly that one is not even aware of a single insight. All of these good insights are treasures (One knows a good insight from a harmful delusion simply by the wise and positive effect on one's life, like one knows good medicine from bad drugs). Our rule is cherish this, but don't chase after it. That is our way. I am glad that the reasons are so well understood by our folks here in this discussion.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAY
          Thank you for this teaching Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
          Last edited by Shinshi; 02-01-2018, 03:59 AM.
          空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
          I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
          E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Jishin
            • Oct 2012

IMG_0200.JPG

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_ , LAH

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Jishin
              [ATTACH]4921[/ATTACH]

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_ , LAH
              Ka Ching!!!

Gassho
              Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Christofer
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Jundo

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAY
                Thank you for this teaching Jundo, I'm wishing I had read the seeking buddha, non-seeking buddha post before I made this thread.

Gassho,

Chris

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Getchi
                  • May 2015

Better to simply realize the Completion of nothing more to chase
                  THankyou again Jundo for introducing thi sunique style to me, and to all those living as a manifestation of its Truth.

I, and many others, are truly happier for it.

Gassho,
                  Geoff.

SatToday
                  LaH
                  Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Comment

• Tairin
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Christofer
                    Thank you for this teaching Jundo, I'm wishing I had read the seeking buddha, non-seeking buddha post before I made this thread.

Gassho,

Chris

Sat/LAH
                    But then we wouldn’t have had this wonderful reminder not to chase after enlightenment and just sit with what is.

I know how you felt in your original post. From time to time I have a (what feels to me) profound realization and don’t know what to do with it. I have learned that it is a waste of time trying to replicate it or hold on. Cherish it and move on. Next time you sit maybe you struggle and watch the clock hoping the time will end soon.

I am glad Jundo weighed in with an explanation.

Tairin
                    Sat today & LAH
                    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Meishin
                      • May 2014

Hi,

I'm teaching photography to an eight-year-old boy. He's pretty hyper, so he tends to run around and take a lot of photos. Occasionally he comes up and shows me a "great" picture. I always say it's good (although it's fuzzy and he cut off the dog's head.) There will be time to show him how to prop the camera on a chair so he gets a clear shot, and how to frame the whole dog inside of the LCD screen. I tell him to run off and take more photos.

Eventually his mom arrives and he's eager to show her his picture. She takes a quick look and sees half a fuzzy dog. She pats him on the head and returns to the conversation with the adults in the room. Pedagogical mistake. He's disappointed.

If he hangs around he may turn out to be a decent photographer. There will be ample opportunity to talk about f-stops, shutter speed, lighting and such. For now I just want to keep him in the game, avoid his going back to watching TV cartoons.

For me there's always a fine line between too much and too little reinforcement. It's hard to be a mentor.

Gassho
                      Meishin
                      Sat Today LAH
                      Last edited by Meishin; 02-02-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Christofer
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Meishin
                        Hi,

I'm teaching photography to an eight-year-old boy. He's pretty hyper, so he tends to run around and take a lot of photos. Occasionally he comes up and shows me a "great" picture. I always say it's good (although it's fuzzy and he cut off the dog's head.) There will be time to show him how to prop the camera on a chair so he gets a clear shot, and how to frame the whole dog inside of the LCD screen. I tell him to run off and take more photos.

Eventually his mom arrives and he's eager to show her his picture. She takes a quick look and sees half a fuzzy dog. She pats him on the head and returns to the conversation with the adults in the room. Pedagogical mistake. He's disappointed.

If he hangs around he may turn out to be a decent photographer. There will be ample opportunity to talk about f-stops, shutter speed, lighting and such. For now I just want to keep him in the game, avoid his going back to watching TV cartoons.

For me there's always a fine line between too much and too little reinforcement. It's hard to be a mentor.

Gassho
                        Meishin
                        Sat Today LAH
                        In the future, I will do my best to refrain from being like an 8-year-old that needs a pat on the head. Thanks.

Gassho
                        Chris
                        Sat/LAH

Comment

• Meishin
                          • May 2014

Originally posted by Christofer
                          In the future, I will do my best to refrain from being like an 8-year-old that needs a pat on the head. Thanks.

Gassho
                          Chris
                          Sat/LAH
                          Christofer,

I'm afraid my words were inadequate for what I meant to say. If I offended, I apologize.

Gassho
                          Meishin
                          Sat Today LAH

Comment

• Christofer
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Meishin
                            Christofer,

I'm afraid my words were inadequate for what I meant to say. If I offended, I apologize.

Gassho
                            Meishin
                            Sat Today LAH
                            It’s much more likely that I just misunderstood.

Comment

• Shinshi
                              Treeleaf Unsui
                              • Jul 2010

I kind of think of these experiences like being on a long drive in Colorado. Often there are scenic overlooks along the way. If you pull over the vista's can be beautiful and awe inspiring. But then you get back in the car and keep driving. The journey is the thing and not the overlooks. They are great, and can inspire, but the road is the thing.

And the road is actually the better experience. It is the true journey. The views are cool but not the main thing.

That is how I think about these experiences today.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                              空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                              I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
                              E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Jundo
                                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shinshi
                                I kind of think of these experiences like being on a long drive in Colorado. Often there are scenic overlooks along the way. If you pull over the vista's can be beautiful and awe inspiring. But then you get back in the car and keep driving. The journey is the thing and not the overlooks. They are great, and can inspire, but the road is the thing.

And the road is actually the better experience. It is the true journey. The views are cool but not the main thing.

That is how I think about these experiences today.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                                I would just add that the driving and the road and the vistas and the car and the driver is the "Whole Thing" as the journey that is you and me too.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
                                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...