X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pthwaites
    • Aug 2016

Zen cleaning

Hello all,

I'm attaching an article I read recently from the Guardian newspaper in the UK. In the article, a Zen Buddhist monk describes the importance of the practice of cleaning. The article can be found at:

The routines of sweeping, polishing and tidying have spiritual meaning, and you don’t have to be religious to benefit from them, writes Shoukei Matsumoto of the Komyoji temple, Tokyo

Or, if you just prefer short excerpt:

"Right after I am satisfied with the cleanliness of the garden I have swept, fallen leaves and dust begin to accumulate. Similarly, right after I feel peaceful with my ego-less mindfulness, anger or anxiety begin once again to emerge in my mind".

It appears that the article was written to support the launch of a new book on the topic, which has already been successful in Japan.

I really enjoyed the article and found it to be very true, and I wonder if there's a similar attitude towards cleaning, or perhaps towards other forms of work, in our Treeleaf form of Zen?

Gassho
    ST
    Peter

Sent from my SM-G935L using Tapatalk
  • Daiyo
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by pthwaites
    Hello all,

I'm attaching an article I read recently from the Guardian newspaper in the UK. In the article, a Zen Buddhist monk describes the importance of the practice of cleaning. The article can be found at:

The routines of sweeping, polishing and tidying have spiritual meaning, and you don’t have to be religious to benefit from them, writes Shoukei Matsumoto of the Komyoji temple, Tokyo

Or, if you just prefer short excerpt:

"Right after I am satisfied with the cleanliness of the garden I have swept, fallen leaves and dust begin to accumulate. Similarly, right after I feel peaceful with my ego-less mindfulness, anger or anxiety begin once again to emerge in my mind".

It appears that the article was written to support the launch of a new book on the topic, which has already been successful in Japan.

I really enjoyed the article and found it to be very true, and I wonder if there's a similar attitude towards cleaning, or perhaps towards other forms of work, in our Treeleaf form of Zen?

Gassho
    ST
    Peter

Sent from my SM-G935L using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the article. It's very interesting.

Zen buddhists usually do communitary work being fully present and this it's called Samu. Many times it includes cleaning, maybe also working the land, snow removal, etc.

In the retreats (Treeleaf retreats are not an exception) there are also sections devoted to Samu practice.

If you search the forums, you will surely find many entries for Samu to give you more information.

Gassho,
    Daiyo

St/Lah

Enviado desde mi SM-G531M mediante Tapatalk
    Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Getchi
      • May 2015

Very cool, thank you.

There is a great house holder precept book let by Jack Kornfield online, linking buddhist precepts to house work.

Do gen also repeated the ideal that it is best to wash ones bowl after eating.

Geoff.
      Sattoday / LaH
      Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Comment

• Geika
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jan 2010

I enjoyed the article, and would say that it pretty much sums up how we feel about samu practice around here.

Daiyo,

Samu is not only community work, it is about ALL of work practice. It is when you are doing your paid job, community service, and also when you are doing household work. Really, anything you do can be in the spirit of samu. It is simply bringing zen practice to work tasks: doing for the sake of doing itself, not for the sake of having things be clean or off of the to-do list forever (because that will never happen).

I hope I am explaining this well...

Gassho, sat today, lah
        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Daiyo
          • Jul 2014

Thanks for your explanation, Geika.

Gassho,
          Daiyo.

Sat Today

Enviado desde mi SM-G531M mediante Tapatalk
          Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

The article is lovely. The author is a very interesting Jodo Shinshu Priest (Pure Land) who has some note in Japan for also being the "MBA" Priest ...

He seems like a very interesting fellow.

I would add one aspect that is emphasized in Soto Zen "Samu" cleaning that he does not touch upon. It is the same as in our Shikantaza Zazen. We clean to remove the dirty and make things clean seeing one way but .... from another way of viewing as Buddha ... there is nothing to clean from the start, nothing to achieve, and even life's dirt shines like a jewel in its own right. Nonetheless, although a jewel and nothing to clean ... we sweep sweep sweep, clean clean clean. One must know in one's heart this radical "nothing to attain, nothing to fix," even as we set to fixing.

I have spoken about this during our Samu lessons for our annual Rohatsu Retreat ... Please have a look ...

Yes, Samu is just Zazen in action. It may not look like seated meditation, but it is to be done from the same state of mental balance. Couple this with an attitude of goalless, non-striving, ‘just doing’, also a hallmark of Zazen. As well, work is to be performed mindfully, as the only action in and of the whole universe : One engaged in Samu should devote to it all care and attention, never wishing for or thinking of anything else in that moment of action.

The result is a job performed diligently and patiently and with certain goals, but with no thought of anything to achieve (of course, not a contradiction in Zen). It may be a continuing job that just needs to be done without end, but we do it with all care moment by moment by moment for the time we have.
              Dear All, a re-MINDer that our ... Treeleaf Annual 'ALWAYS AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) RETREAT ... is to be LIVE NETCAST on the weekend of Saturday & Sunday, December 9th and 10th, 2017. The retreat is designed to be sat in any time zone around the world through a

Gassho, and Good Cleaning,

Jundo

SatTodayLAH
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Ryumon
              • Apr 2007

I just read yesterday the chapter in the Shobogenzo where Dogen tells you how to clean your butt after you go to the toilet. I guess this book doesn't cover that...

Gassho,

Kirk
              I know nothing.

Comment

• Suuko
                • May 2017

Hi Jundo,

Please look at the extract below. Would you say that it's too poetic, Suzuki style? Or are you in agreement?
                Zazen and other spiritual practices bring balance to the mind. Hence, the zen does seem to affect everything we end up doing.

"Zen is you, Zen is life. If all you do is practice Zazen, without being aware of the rest of your life, you don't understand Zen. Zen is also understanding this machine we call our body by keeping it effective, flexible and strong. Zen is understanding how your body functions: what and how to eat, when and how to sleep. Learning the natural way to be in every action and every situation is Zen."

- Kodo Sawaki

Gassho,
                Geerish.
                ST
                Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Comment

• Shinshou
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by kirkmc
                  I just read yesterday the chapter in the Shobogenzo where Dogen tells you how to clean your butt after you go to the toilet. I guess this book doesn't cover that...

Gassho,

Kirk
                  Looks like that Daily Dogen is really paying off...

Dan
                  Sat today

Comment

• Kyonin
                    Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                    • Oct 2010

Hi all,

Samu is a precious practice for me. My day starts wit samu for maintaining the health of the living beings in this home and then I go onto do Samu of sentient beings outside the home. And then I realize our Samu is not some self centered practice. We work to polish this Bright Pearl that doesn't need cleaning at all.

So I sweep the floors, fix a bathroom, I cook, create text and graphics for clients and I wash the dishes. All is part of our Zen practice and we don't frown or complain. Just do stuff for he benefit of others.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                    Sat/LAH
                    Hondō Kyōnin
                    奔道 協忍

Comment

• Daiyo
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Kyonin
                      Hi all,

...create text and graphics for clients and I wash the dishes. All is part of our Zen practice and we don't frown or complain. Just do stuff for he benefit of others.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                      Sat/LAH
                      I've never thought of my work this way before.
                      I work for big Telcos in the systems area.

It's a nice way to see one's job as a service to others.
                      Thanks for the insight.

Gassho, Daiyo

ST/laH
                      Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Hyōhaku-sha

Originally posted by Jundo
                        The article is lovely. The author is a very interesting Jodo Shinshu Priest (Pure Land) who has some note in Japan for also being the "MBA" Priest ...

He seems like a very interesting fellow.

I would add one aspect that is emphasized in Soto Zen "Samu" cleaning that he does not touch upon. It is the same as in our Shikantaza Zazen. We clean to remove the dirty and make things clean seeing one way but .... from another way of viewing as Buddha ... there is nothing to clean from the start, nothing to achieve, and even life's dirt shines like a jewel in its own right. Nonetheless, although a jewel and nothing to clean ... we sweep sweep sweep, clean clean clean. One must know in one's heart this radical "nothing to attain, nothing to fix," even as we set to fixing.

I have spoken about this during our Samu lessons for our annual Rohatsu Retreat ... Please have a look ...

Dear All, a re-MINDer that our ... Treeleaf Annual 'ALWAYS AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) RETREAT ... is to be LIVE NETCAST on the weekend of Saturday & Sunday, December 9th and 10th, 2017. The retreat is designed to be sat in any time zone around the world through a

Gassho, and Good Cleaning,

Jundo

SatTodayLAH
                        A couple quick questions: Do you recite gathas in your head for daily situations/activities to stay mindful apart from the official ceremonies? I know Thich Nhat Hahn is big into doing that and he sparked my interest. Does Treeleaf have "official" gathas for walking, working, sitting etc... in daily life?

Gassho
                        Tom
                        Sat/LAH

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Hyōhaku-sha
                          A couple quick questions: Do you recite gathas in your head for daily situations/activities to stay mindful apart from the official ceremonies? I know Thich Nhat Hahn is big into doing that and he sparked my interest. Does Treeleaf have "official" gathas for walking, working, sitting etc... in daily life?

Gassho
                          Tom
                          Sat/LAH

Hey Tom,

When Washing dishes, just wash dishes. When cleaning the floor, just clean the floor. When sitting, just sit. When we engage in the activities of life just engage and not focus on a chant or mindfulness mantra - if we do such, then we are not present to the experience or activity at hand.

Now, that being said ... we do have some chants that we do before we undertake an activity, so like washing the face and brushing the teeth. Or when we do the meal chants, so there are something that you can incorporate into your practice if you choose. =)

Here are a couple that are from out retreat chants and our oryoki ...

VERSE ON ENTERING BATH
                          Bathing the body,
                          may all living beings
                          be clean in body and mind,
                          pure and shining within and without.

VERSE FOR TOOTH BRUSHING
                          Brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth,
                          I vow to speak purely and lovingly.
                          When my mouth is fragrant with
                          right speech,
                          A flower blooms in the garden of the heart.

VERSE FOR FACE/HAND WASHING
                          Washing the face/hands,
                          I vow with all beings
                          To pierce the pure Dharma gate
                          Forever undefiled

VERSE ON ENTERING TOILET
                          Defiled or immaculate,
                          increasing or decreasing--
                          these concepts exist only in our mind.
                          The reality of interbeing is unsurpassed.

VERSE AFTER EACH OF THE FOREGOING
                          Using the (bath / tooth brush/
                          wash basin / toilet)
                          I vow with all beings
                          To pierce defilement
                          clearing greed, anger and ignorance.

FOOD CHANT
                          This food comes from the efforts
                          of all sentient beings past and present,
                          and is medicine for nourishment of our Practice.
                          We offer this meal of many virtues and tastes
                          to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha,
                          and to all life in every realm of existence.
                          May all sentient beings in the universe
                          be sufficiently nourished.

There is also one that folks have done in sewing, it is part of the Verse of the Threefold Refuge (or the precepts of the three refuges) which is
                          namu kie butsu (I take refuge in the Buddha)
                          namu kie ho (I take refuge in the Dharma)
                          namu kie so (I take refuge in the Sangha)

You can also find the retreat chants here: https://sites.google.com/site/jundot...edirects=0&d=1 Hope this helps. =)

Gassho
                          Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Jundo
                            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Guish
                            "Zen is you, Zen is life. If all you do is practice Zazen, without being aware of the rest of your life, you don't understand Zen. Zen is also understanding this machine we call our body by keeping it effective, flexible and strong. Zen is understanding how your body functions: what and how to eat, when and how to sleep. Learning the natural way to be in every action and every situation is Zen."

- Kodo Sawaki
                            Hi Guish,

I very much agree, but when sitting Zazen there is only Zazen as the one and only action necessary or possible in that moment of sitting. Thus we sit each day, for it is not our usual running around after this and that.

Then, getting up from the cushion, we get on with the rest of life much as described. We must eat and sleep well, and take care of the body.

I sometimes remind people that we are ALWAYS naturally "in every action and every situation," both when we feel so and don't. Some people think that Zen is to be feeling at one with every action, 24/7, and I don't believe so. We are always "at one with every action 24/7." but sometimes we feel so and sometimes not, and that is okay.

But where did you get this Kodo Sawaki quote. Somehow, the speaking style does not sound like his usual way of putting things.

Dogen tells you how to clean your butt after you go to the toilet.
                            It is a chapter of my book on Dogen which you are editing, although I only did the face washing part not the actual crapping. But, yet, when going to the toilet, there is nothing in the universe besides going to the toilet ... and it is also beyond all thought of "clean vs. dirty" even though we do so trying to keep clean (a crappy Koan).

We work to polish this Bright Pearl that doesn't need cleaning at all.
                            That's It! Nine Bows, Kyonin.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
                            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Hyōhaku-sha

Thank you Shingen for your helpful response, that is exactly what I wanted to know! I'm relieved that the teaching is simple and that I can just be present [emoji3]

As for the chants, I will try to incorporate them into my daily life.

Gassho
                              Tom
                              Say/LAH

Comment

Working...